“Amazing !!!”

Ranked #9 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
st albans
“Amazing !!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Such a beautiful place , very friendly staff and beautiful dog , food was amazing , would visit every week if I could , only popped in for a quick bite , ended up staying for hours , sat by the fire enjoying every moment , blt baguette was the best I've ever tasted ! And the Guinness was top class

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank markStAlbans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
london
Reviewed 13 February 2013

A chilly day, but a warm fire, warm welcome, friendly service and lovely grub. It is difficult to add to previous reviews. It isn't the prettiest of pubs but scores highly especially the steak and ale pie and smashing chips and quite probably the best sticky toffee pudding my wife and I have ever shared and we have tried a few! Thoroughly recommend the Royal Oak and look forward to visiting again next time we are in Burford

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

had an excellent meal at this proper traditional pub in burford. the hosts and staff were brilliant very attentive. its a place where some of the locals gather aswell as us tourists. we ordered starters which were fab very morrish and tasty, then we ordered the pies chicken and steak, we also had the lamb and the rump steak couldnt find any sort of disapointment apart from the huge portions not complaining tho... we would love to try the accommodation in the future as its just off the main street and seems a little quieter.

Room Tip: order anything off the menu it wont dissapoint!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2013

A decent down to earth pub in the rather chi-chi quaint Cotswolds town of Burford. My husband and I stayed here one night on a motorcycle touring holiday. Despite having booked a room in advance through their website, they had no record of our booking. Fortunately a room was available - comfy enough, rather than luxurious. Decent pub food - my husband and I both had excellent pies mid-afternoon, and came back down later for pudding, washed down by Wadworths beer. Quite a few dogs in the bar, some on the scrounge for any leftovers from our lunch - not a dog person myself, but I got the impression Burford is a "dog-person" town!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eleanor C
South of England
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We had an excellent meal at the Royal Oak last week. 3 of us had the steak and ale pie, 4th had the vegetarian, everything was very good, especially the chips which were crisp and fluffy at the same time and Irish was happy to pass on the 'secret' !

Pub is really unpretentious and down to earth, not the prettiest pub in Burford, but definitely the warmest welcome, best service, full of locals and opens late.

We did not stay here but I understand they now have rooms so we would definitely consider this for the future.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Went to this delightful pub last night for a delicious meal, I'm a vegetarian and there's loads of choice, which makes a change to a lot of the stuffy pubs in the Cotswolds who get offended at the idea.
The food was very quick and we all left very satisfied.
Everyone in the bar seemed to be having a really nice time and the staff were so friendly.
There was however one annoying drunk woman who caused a scene, but she was promptly and politely asked to leave.
Overall I highly recommend the royal oak, if you're looking for a lovely pub, with a fantastic atmosphere with really good vegetarian options then the Royal Oak is for you.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I was at The Royal Oak when Erica D visited and her outburst could quite easily have spoiled my evening having dinner with friends. This lady was rude and dismissive and I was very impressed with how Irish dealt with the situation - he was calm and showed courtesy to all the other people who were in the pub at the same time.

I had an excellent meal (and have eaten here numerous times - never to be disappointed!) I asked for a sweet rose and they served the perfect one. I have also had a glass of Prosecco and I would suggest that Erica D may actually have been drinking the vinegar as this was a delicious fruity and a crispy drink and as far from sour as you could possibly get!

I have never had a bad experience at this pub and always recommend the Royal Oak to friends and family and I always get fantastic reviews back! I would always recommend it to everyone and I suggest you take Erica D's comments with a large pinch of Salt!

1 Thank Semisonic1985