“Pies pies pies”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #10 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This chef knows how to make a pie ... I had the chicken pie and my partner has the steak and ale pie - they were both absolutely delicious.

Everyone was friendly and helpful and the bar has free wifi which is always welcome.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane G
RoyalOakBurford, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello, we're so pleased you enjoyed our traditional pies and your visit to The Royal Oak. Thanks again Jeanette

There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a meal the 28th july in the royal oak, we both had the steak and ale pies, beautifully presented and rammed with chunks of beef and tasty gravy and pastry to die for, the reviews dont do them enough justice. Lovely and friendly owners and great wine.. keep up the good work and thank the chef for a great meal.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 319julie

Hi, thanks for your great comments regarding our pies, we're really pleased you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again. Thanks Jeanette

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a lovely meal here last night 20/07/14, my Fiance had the Steak & Ale pie, I had the Fish & Chips, neither of us were disappointed. The Pies are the Royal Oaks speciality and boy i can see why. The Landlord & landlady were very friendly and smiley without being overbearing, locals and holidaymakers seemed to be chatting away happily to them. I would highly recommend this establishment if you are staying in Burford or thereabouts.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flatcapnwippett

Thank you for great review and we're really pleased you enjoyed one of our traditional pies, thanks Jeanette

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We found the Royal Oak by accident and it was a wonderful find. John, Janette and Harry make a great team and run a great little pub in a absolutely charming historic village. One of those places you never forget and in some respects looks time has passed it by. Our accommodation was a spotless clean, comfortable room at the rear of the historic hotel. A great bar area with a cosy fire and excellent dining facilities, with Harry's expertise as a chef have all the ingredients for a great night. Cannot wait to return and generous handy car parking at the rear is a real bonus. We will be back on our net trip to UK ---- O & W-Australia

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review of our pub, we really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again. Thanks Jeanette

Reviewed 15 July 2014

just to say what a pleasure it was to visit the royal oak this week a little treasure of a pub , a warm welcome , good company and excellent food , lovely to meet you all , all the best for the future , Alyson and Chris ......bailey's coffee and guinness couple ;-)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Alyson and Chris, thank you for your lovely comments and we are so pleased you enjoyed your time in The Royal Oak. Please come and visit again soon. Thanks Jeanette

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at the royal oak for one night this week, John Jay and Harry were very friendly and welcoming, the bar area has a lovely friendly feel about it, my bedroom was lovely very clean neat and tidy, it was like sleeping in a cloud the quilt was so comfy, lovely little courtyard type garden for a beer in the sun.
Breakfast was lovely.
All in all I couldn't fault it, I will definately stay here again, good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely comments. Please come and stay again soon. Thanks again Jeanette

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed at The Royal Oak in Burford for one night on the evening of Wednesday 2nd July having only booked my room the day before. Upon arrival at The Royal Oak I walked into the bar to a nice warm welcome and I can truly say that upon leaving I felt like a true "local". John and Janette (landlord and landlady) are wonderful - very accommodating and nothing is too much trouble. I opted to stay in the slightly larger king sized bedded room with ensuite bath. The room certainly had charm about it, slightly uneven floor and the wonderful stone walls. The bed was extremely comfortable and room very clean. In room tea and coffee facilities were provided along with bathroom amenities and a hairdryer. Personally I also liked the position of The Royal Oak just off the main High Street. The Royal Oak also has a charming courtyard garden and ample car parking. I opted to dine at The Royal Oak on the evening of my stay choosing the Steak & Ale Pie which comes highly recommended and for the more "hungry" appetite. I left The Royal Oak feeling very relaxed also knowing I had made new friends who I will certainly see again soon. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Travelling tip - if you are arriving by train get the train to Charlbury, the taxi to Burford is £20...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JAWILKO, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your stay at The Royal Oak and we hope to see you again soon.