“Impromptu night stay”
Review of Golden Pheasant

Golden Pheasant
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Burford is such a great place, so many nooks and crannies and this was a pleasant find as we were going to a wedding and decided to find a place to stay. Looked like a really lovely place to eat and drink although we didn't do either. Very welcoming and friendly. A small car park at the back although we parked on the street outside the hotel. The room was unbelievable, enormous and beautifully renovated. Warm with an enormous amount of space! Great bathroom, big bath, adequate shower and his n hers basins! Key to let yourself in at the side of the building if staying out for a late one! Good breakfast included... Cereals, yogurt, juices and a choice of toast. Selection of cooked breakfast too. Pretty reasonable at £95 and will definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Golden Pheasant

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and what a place, the staff are really friendly and helpful and the food is excellent(try the sirloin steak).
We could not recommend this place highly enough and will be returning again soon as Burford is a lovely place too.

Thomas
London

1  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed just one night at a price of £60 bed and breakfast. We were allocated a room on the front of the hotel, which was noisy, so were moved to a four-poster room on the back of the hotel. Obviously this wasn't a £60 a night room and we felt privileged to be moved. The room was very spacious, as was the bathroom. It was a little on the cool side but extra heating was provided. The room was comfortable and housekeeping good. A small negative, the bath taps need to be turned on in plenty of time as water pressure is poor and it takes a long time to get a reasonable amount of water in the bath. Similarly, the shower attachment takes a long time to rinse off shampoo.

We ate dinner in the restaurant. Food was excellent, well-presented and well-served by a very friendly waitress. Wines are reasonably priced and decent beer is available on draft.

At breakfast cereals and juices were self-selection then the hot choice was cooked-to-order. The smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was excellent, as was the full Pheasant.

There is limited car parking to the rear of the hotel but we had to park on the main street, not a problem in winter months but I imagine it will be difficult in the summer.

Vale for money was very good.

The hotel is quaint, in a quaint and attractive town.

We'd stay again, if in the area, and recommend it.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Great little B&B, breakfast was really nice and the service was always good.

Our room and bathroom were very nicely decorated and clean. The bed was not the best I've ever slept in, but it was decent.

The room was a little on the cold side, because there was a ventilation window that wouldn't shut, and with it being Feb, the draught was a little chilly! Also, I really needed a full length mirror.

Parking was really convenient for me, as my room was one of the ones out back, so I was parked right outside. But it did get very crowded after I had parked, and if I had parked facing the other direction I would have struggled to pull out.

The pub serves the best food in this little village!

Overall, it was not a 5* experience, but we had a great few days here and for the price we paid, I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed one night at The Golden Pheasant. Booked a room with a four poster bed - £125, bit expensive but ok was a Saturday ! No four posts but a bed with a canopy ! Told us it was the best room in the hotel. It was in the attic, nice and large however .... toilet pan was brown - made me feel sick ! windows were filthy, draughts coming through them and terrible road noise. Bed was the softest most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. The room felt cold, dark and dirty.
Totally not worth the money and would definately not recommend.
On the plus - breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank familymike
Reviewed 13 January 2014

As what you would expect from a room for it's price. The parking is hit and miss, as there is only 6 spaces...we got one on the first day but had to park further up the residential road after. The room was on the lower rear, which was ok until later at night when we got renditions of 60's classic tunes from the dunkard clog wearers above. I can never listen to California Dreaming or even Barbie Girl in the same light ever again.
The hotel is as you would expect, nothing great but nothing bad. The service was good and amenities were exceptional.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quiet if you get the top ones...park up the road for less stress!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night at this Inn on the 19th December after reading good reviews of this place. We came here as it was near the location for a friends wedding and being a bridesmaid I had to be up early to get to the venue. Our room was really cold with the single pane windows and we tried turning on the radiator but to no avail.

Shower room looked brand new and clean. So I was hoping for a good shower in the morning to wake me up. It did wake me up for sure! I had a cold shower and the water barely warmed up (ran the tap for like 10 mins). The shower power was zilch more like a trickle. My partner finally got to have his shower equally frustrated, halfway through the warm water came through eventually.

We went down for our cooked breakfast which I have to say was really good and locally sourced. The service was warm and friendly. Our friends who also stayed here came down to say that their shower was not clean and had a load of hair blocking the plughole from the previous user which she took a photo of to show the manager. She told me the manager was not apologetic, but instead said "This is your lucky day I'll give you a £5 discount". (Our friends did not shower at the Inn and managed to ring ahead to have one at the wedding venue where we were all staying for the wedding night - The Old Swan & Minster Mill which was amazing).

As we were in a rush to get to the venue we forgot to mention about the cold shower during check out. I was quite disappointed at what could of potentially been a nice place to stay had they been more understanding and apologetic.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bashfullman, Owner at Golden Pheasant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for the comments about your stay. As we explained to your friends on checkout, having an unclean shower is totally unacceptable. Had we known sooner we would have moved your friends to a different room, but there was very little we could do at checkout apart from apologise.
With regards to your shower, The Golden Pheasant is a very old building and the hot water does take time to reach some of the rooms. We were not able to address your concerns at the time of your stay because as you stated you didn't mention anything when checking out.