“Great Sunday Lunch.”

The Angel at Burford
Reserve with OpenTable
The Angel at Burford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Burford
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Angel at Burford is an award winning Gastro Pub located in the beautiful Cotswold town of Burford. We are Hook Norton's Food Pub of the Year in 2015, and hold an AA Rosette.
Wantage, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We found The Angel by accident a few months ago as it is tucked away from the main High Road in a one way street, which has plenty of free parking. Yesterday we returned to try out their Sunday Lunch and boy oh boy am I glad we did! They emailed us with a very special rate for this meal and having already enjoyed a very good weekday meal some time ago, we thought we would give it a go. Burford is well situated as a gateway into the Cotswolds, so we made a day out to include the meal. We were met with a very happy welcome from Jake, a young lad with a fantastic sense of humour, so a good start. We then had a choice of "Rare Beef" or Lamb, we had one of each. Whilst we enjoyed our drinks we had a short wait and then a perfection of roast dinners arrived. Really generous portions with five vegetables and an abundance of perfectly cooked meat with of course the famous Yorkshire Pudding. I am sitting here writing this review wishing I had my own "Tardis" so I could travel back 24 hours to enjoy it all over again. On the day, the prices for everyone was, main course £13.75, two courses for £17.50 or three courses for £23.00 and there were "specials" on the board. All in all, a sublime Sunday Lunch. We have only been in the small front restaurant to the right of the bar (which was full) but I noticed that there is another restaurant behind the bar and yet more tables in the secluded rear garden (This was also full) so they can cater for quite a few. I believe that this a 4* AA establishment and if the rooms are anything as good as the food then you are in for a treat. We then asked for the bill with more banter from Jake and we were introduced to Arthur the dog with his owner, I say introduced, more of being licked to death (by the dog in case you are wondering). Will I go there again, definitely! I would even pay the full price, something I rarely do, for it is that good. I do not think I would call it a drinking pub as the bar area is limited although to be fair there were a few locals enjoying themselves, but as an eating establishment, wonderful. There are many humorous water colours about the place, some are hilarious Oh dear lots more stars!!!

• Visited June 2014

Newquay, United Kingdom
“Delightful village Inn with beautiful garden and good food”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A very welcoming pub with good local ales. My partner and I went in for a drink in their classic old garden in this very quaint village. They offered us some freshly made amuse bouche which were delicious, leading us to eat dinner with them. No regrets as the fish and chips and lamb hot pot were top quality, as was the service and wine. Prices very fair. Would have given 5 stars but fish very slightly overcooked. However other guests fish and chips looked delicious so I wouldn't be put off by that. Will definitely recommend and return

Visited June 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous food in a local pub”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Angel at Burford was recommend by our driver/guide in The Cotswolds and it was the best meal we had in England! We went back twice and once for dessert. Terrence and Gemma who run The Angel are so caring and charming. They make you feel so at home. The quality of the food was excellent. Very innovative and fresh ingredients.

• Visited May 2014
East Peckham, United Kingdom
“Not a great place to come for a drink.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Myself and three of my mates recently stopped by for a few beers, travelling from London, to the midlands for a friend’s stag do. After calling by Oxford and a local village to pick two of the lads up, we thought it a good idea to call in for a quick drink or two (with a designated driver of course...!).

We weren’t sure what to make of the place really, it wasn’t quite a restaurant but it didn’t really feel like a drinking pub either (quiet for an evening too).

We ordered a round - prices nearly equivalent to where I live in London! – but there wasn’t really a bar area to drink in. We stood at the bar for a while but it wasn’t really big enough for four blokes to stand at anyway. Plus we felt a bit ‘on display’ to those few who were eating, as the bar area is right next to some dining tables and the entrance (strange lay out). We also felt like we weren’t welcome at the bar and were made to feel like we were ‘in the way’ of the bar staff.

Two of us had lager – like I say, expensive and not much choice either – and the ale drinker amongst us had a pint off of the hand-pull (flat as a... well, you know).

We would’ve taken a seat in the bar area, but... there aren’t any really – it’s just an open space, save for a few ‘couples’ couches. We considered using one of the 3-4 empty tables in the front eating area (weren’t being used for much else!), but again didn’t feel like that would’ve been welcome. Shame really – so we went out front, joked and chatted outside instead, drank the rest of our expensive, flat beer and got back on the road.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank The_Kooks_mate
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited here for a lunch time meal for the first time in May. The Angel at Burford is set in an idealistic setting for an afternoon of relaxation. It has a beautiful garden to enjoy the glorious sunshine that we had. We chose a 3 course meal form the wide selection on the menu and were not disappointed, cooked to perfection with excellent service from the staff on duty. They have a wonderful wine menu which is hard to choose from and decided on a bottle of Fleuri, a perfect choice. After lunch we enjoyed a walk along the river and had the added experience of walking around a local garden that is open to the public. All in All a perfect day.

• Visited May 2014