“Great roast lunch (and calamari)”

The Angel at Burford
Reserve with OpenTable
The Angel at Burford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Burford
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Angel at Burford is an award winning Gastro Pub located in the beautiful Cotswold town of Burford. We are Hook Norton's Food Pub of the Year in 2015, and hold an AA Rosette.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great roast lunch (and calamari)”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Burford is a lovely little town and this pub has a great cosy and welcoming atmosphere. We ate here twice during our visit to the cotswolds, once for dinner and once for sunday lunch. If you are planning to go for dinner on saturday night I would recommend booking as there aren't very many tables and it gets fairly busy.

My boyfriend and I shared some calamari to start and it was some of the best I've had (and I've had a lot). Very crispy and a great flavour. For mains I had the rib-eye steak, which was tasty and cooked medium and pink, how I asked for it. I would say £23.00 for the one dish was a bit on the expensive side, however it was the most expensive dish on the menu. My boyfriend had the pork belly which was also very nice, I would say the flavour of the mustard mash that accompanied it was a bit strong. If i can give you one bit of advice it would be to order the chocolate brownie and ice-cream for dessert. Beautifully warm and gooey, the brownie was a definite winner for me. Overall a nice dinner with a glass of wine and a soft drink for around £55.00.

Impressed with our dinner, we visited The Angel again for Sunday lunch the next day. My boyfriend had the roast lamb and I had the roast beef, both meats were very well cooked. The sides were excellent, crispy roast potatoes, glazed carrots and plenty of over veg. A really nice Yorkshire pudding too.

If i had to pick to go for either dinner or lunch, I would say the lunch just pipped it.

Stroud UK
“Lovely venue”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Having seen The Angel a couple of years ago, we travelled with friends from Stroud in Gloucestershire for a lunch. The weather was typically August Bank Holiday, overcast and very wet.

We were made very welcome by the staff and elected to sit in the lounge area by a warming log burner to dry out. The chaps had a pint of draft Stout, rarely seen these days and thoroughly recommended, whilst the ladies had a G & T each. The choices on the menu were wide-ranging.

Our table was just inside the door to the right, draft free with a view of the window box and cotswold cottages beyond. The food was nicely presented on the plate, hot and very tasty.

The staff were magnifcent, friendly and efficient.

As a bonus, the hotel is dog friendly.

Stoke Poges, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Dined on Saturday evening with friends, six people. Found the staff exceptionally friendly and welcoming food was excellent and large portions.

Will visit again when in the area

Witney, United Kingdom
“Perfect garden haven”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Love to sit in the garden out the back which feels like a secret hide away. Always have a warm welcome, delicious food and a good service.

Visited May 2014
Lechlade, United Kingdom
“Great food, great place”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Five in the party, warm welcome, nice round table in the window, drinks (including instant availability of a slice of orange in my Campari as opposed to ubiquitous lemon) in good time, very interesting menu, and... Excellent food, cooked and served with panache.

All in all, a jolly good dinner served by jolly nice people. Thank you, The Angel, and we will most certainly return.

... And there I would have left it, if I had not read through The Angel's existing reviews. Fellow travellers: by all means ignore this review, so long as you also ignore some of the appalling things others have written, and come and try the delights of The Angel for yourself.

Of course some people just like to be a bit eeyorish about things, but I cannot see that any reasonable person would not be pleased with an evening at The Angel in Burford.