“Good food, great location”

Restaurant at The Falkland Arms
Price range: US$0 - US$59
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My wife and I took a friend along after hearing about the Falkland arms reputation as "the place" to eat in the Tews, initially was surprised to see a very empty restaurant as I had booked early to guarantee a table and it transpired we were the only booking that evening.

We partook in 3 courses, a soup and 2 prawn starters that were very good with the prawn starter let down slightly by the choice of bread, a thin overly nutty slice that perhaps just wasn't to my liking.
For our mains we went with Duck, Pork & the Steak and whilst the duck was tender and served with cabbage and potato and the pork served with a creamy mushroom sauce and veg the steak was a little disappointing, flavourful but very thin and not quite cooked as requested but nice none the less.
Desert was a different matter and I had what I believe to be the best apple cinnamon crumble ever made! Our friend had the crème brûlée and was equally impressed.

My only criticism is that dining in the bar area can be somewhat noisy when the bar gets busy and we were unfortunate in that some rather obnoxious locals arrived towards the end of our meal which made it rather difficult to hear each other.

Would I revisit:- DEFINATELY!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had dinner here in October 2013. Outstanding food and service. I loved the friendly and articulate way that Joe communicated. The pie was awesome and to me, this is England's pub scene at it's best. Anyone staying in this area should visit this place more than once!

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely meal with superb service. This quaint village pub is a must for all visitors in the area of Chipping Norton. The food is fresh and home cooked and the selection of Wadworth beers was a bonus.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Recently we had a meal here that was of a very good quality ,we chose scallops with some sort of bloodpudding which was really good then lamb and sheperds pie ,eating out alot i spend a lot of time in different situations where i can see the execution and quality of the dishes served this was a very high quality my wife had a bass dish which was well cooked and perfectly balanced with a sauvignon blanc .
I returned last week and were both a little dissapointed the fayre was not as imaginative and seemed hurried and laboured my pie was flacid and hot a sure sign of the microwave doing its magic, mash unseasoned and gravy which had a monosodium glutamate ring to it , edible i guess but very average compared to before .
I can only imagine the chef has changed. good selection of ales and sells clay pipes and snuff on the upside a lovely old pub pity about the meal

Thank doyouwantabrand... g
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

As the title says, a really beautiful English pub, lovely atmosphere. Wadworth pub with some good guest ales. However, a pub cannot get by on looks alone. The pub could not seem to cope with the number of covers; our meal took nearly 3 hours by the time we paid. Service for dessert courses and additional drinks was slow. In terms of food, it was a real mixed bag. Some courses, such as the lamb, was superb. Others, such as the meat ploughmans, was pretty small and underwhelming. When it came to dessert, £5.75 will buy you the smallest slice of cheesecake you are every likely to see. If they were running low and had to cut the slices smaller, I would have appreciated some honesty and a discount. With a bit of effort could be excellent, which is a shame.