“Great home cooked food”

Price range: US$0 - US$59
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed overnight and ate all our meals in the pub, the food was delicious and all home cooked and the service was very attentative

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited here with my partner on the 1st July - I booked in advance and asked if they could supply some balloons or something birthdayish for the table - they said they would happy pop to the nearest town to get some for me and add the cost onto my bill - I was gobsmacked at this - it was cheeky of me to ask but they said yes and I was very impressed. So we arrived at the pub and the table that was pointed out to us contained no balloon...I quickly sent partner off into the garden to find us a sunny bench to sit on and asked the lovely bar-manager chap (apologies I cannot remember his name) where my balloons were..he darted off into the office where they were waiting and told me he would sort it. So off to the garden I went. About 5 min later he did a very good covert thumbs-up behind my partners back, and I dragged partner into the pub to our newly decorated table. I was chuffed (as was the birthday boy) and they even got him a Birthday Card from all the staff! Very nice touch. The food as always was gorgeous, we both had a burger which was delicious, the staff are great, the atmosphere is wonderful and beer is top notch. Well done!

1  Thank MarfieWarfie
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Lovely old building , a wide range of real ales and ciders properly kept. Friendly and knowledgable bar staff.Food is more pub than gastro but fairly priced.An outside beer garden if the weather is fine and a very cosy if small interior if it is not. It's also an inn and so far off the beaten track that it merits consideration for discrete overnight stays.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I looked up this pub on the internet and may have been reading the wrong pub menu as what seemed really attractive online wasn't what the Falkland arms offered. When we asked for a menu we were given a piece of paper with a short list of what was available, We made a choice from this limited list and then waited for what seemed like hours for the food., I asked about a special tthat was on the board and was told I couldn't have that as it was a lunchtime only dish. ( I was rather brassed off to find a motor bike rider sitting outside in his leathers eating that very dish as we left) .
The staff don't have a clue about customer service or care and seemed to be working under a lot of stress, maybe they were short staffed ( I am being kind) As others have mentioned this seems to be a pub where locals go for a drink.
There was a cricket match just finishing the evening we booked and there seemed to be a heck of a lot of people standing in the road outside drinking after the match which is very nice unless you want to drive your car along the road when leaving as they seemed to be rooted to the spot and weren't going to move aside for 'non locals' . It is a beautiful picturesque setting and pure chocolate box picture of a pub. But badly managed.... could be a goldmine, maybe they don't choose to make money.

2  Thank Frankiesnana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a local pub for me and I love the building and location. The beer is usually good even though it is pretty expensive these days. Went for lunch today and ordered the soup. To my amazement it turned up with a very ordinary slice of sliced white bread - it had been cut on the diagonal! To be fair, when I expressed my astonishment this bread was immediately replaced by a few slices of baguette, better but not brilliant. Rather disappointing

1  Thank Judith J