“Fab Food, Stay Somewhere Else”

Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Exciting modern and contemporary seasonal British food and relaxed friendly service complemented by three stylish double rooms.
Sandhurst
“Fab Food, Stay Somewhere Else”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

In a higgledy, piggledy building on New Street. We stayed in the Gold Room which leaned, the floor, the ceiling and the bed. Even before the wine. You need a sense of humour to get the accommodation which is at best basic, but who cares when the cooking is this good! We feasted on soufflés, fabulous LOCAL partridge and rabbit (which seemed very important to another guest - I was surprised he didn't want to know the type of gun used - and bless Sally, the co-owner, she tried very hard to answer all the questions and had no doubts where her produce originated from), excellent and perfectly kept cheeses and even the olives, bread and homemade honeycomb were sublime. I could bang on for hours about dinner, but you would be bored? Add a good, wholesome, tasty, intelligent wine list and competent service in a small and surprisingly romantic little restaurant and you have perfection! Go now! You'll love it!

• Visited December 2013
Sallydaniel, Owner at Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to wild thyme. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal so much. It is great to hear when people enjoy their time with us and makes it all worthwhile for our hardworking team. I am sorry to hear that you found the room basic. Our rooms are assessed by the AA as 4 star and we aim to provide a comfortable base at a good price (£85 for a double en suite) for the Cotswolds. Sometimes when the food is this good guests expect 5 star accomodation but sadly with the restrictions of the building and self funding that is not possible, but we offer good, honest value for money. We invested in quality, comfortable beds and linen, the rooms are all en suite with all the usual facilities. Our hope is that guests enjoy a great meal and have just a short journey upstairs to bed. Our building is somewhat unusual, it is 400 years old and has slopped floors and ceilings; we think that is part of its charm. All the rooms are due for a spruce up in January after a busy year. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you against the restaurant.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Mad to miss it”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Two years ago, My family gathered in Chipping from various parts of the country and we stumbled on Wild Thyme by accident. We were delighted then and this year decided to return.
Never go back is the usual phrase but I'm happy to say that it was no less excellent.
From the first irresistible selection of bread to the last crumb of an apple tart, with all the mouthwatering dishes in between, we just oohed and ahed the night away.
The service is friendly and professional but my appreciation of the short haired co host was not!
Recommended? Absolutely.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Top Notch”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Having spent the week dining in high end London restaurants to celebrate our honeymoon we returned to enjoy a meal in our local favourite restaurant. As always it did not disappoint. It is, without a doubt (and I am a chef & therefore hard to please!!!!) better than most or on par with some of the most popular London restaurants of today.

Visited November 2013
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
“Very dissapointing!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

my wife wanted to try wild thyme for her birthday, 7 my son was driving 70 miles to join us.
although we had heard generally good reveiws, even on the radio, we thought about time to check it out!

i have to report only dissappointment.
we had the window table and a bottle of champagne,
we were the only people in, which we found surprising as well as lacking atmosphere.

Our son was struggling a little in the traffic, but i ad gone through the menu with him so at least we could place the order.

We summoned the lady, Sally and paced the order for 3 scallops to start, then ?
unfortunately, amazingly the lady did not want to take our order as my son hadnt arrived yet?
i said hes not far away & will save time, but --- no
apparently the chef, her husband will not cook the order without the customer there? --- crikey, this is complicated!

my wife even piped up in amazement, which I was annoyed about as it was her birthday, .

i did try to say that i would take responsibilty for the bill and any possible conscequenses, but alas no order.

some 10 minutes later he arrived and the order was finally placed.
the mains were only quite good, not amazing and quite expensive.
i found the whole experience rather off putting and taotalling lacking atmosphere, not in keeping with the rating!!!

i was reminded by my wife once we called in on the off chance previously, we were told rather demissively we really needed to book?
unfortunately, i dont like that high brow, superior attitude when i am spending good money sorry!

i dont rate the place in the same league or class as whistlers in any or every way.

A little humility & a good welcome goes a long way.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank BellandBatman
Sallydaniel, Owner at Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for your recent comments. I am not sure though when you visited our restaurant as we have not had scallops on the menu since last winter so I think it must be about a year ago now. Nonetheless I am sorry to learn that we were dissappointed. Like most restaurants, there are occasions, (although thankfully not many these days), when we have a quiet evening and clearly the atmosphere at these times is never quite the same. That said, we pretty much always fill at weekends and as a small restaurant with only 10 tables, it does not take much to become busy. We suggest that customers make a reservation when they know they want to visit in advance as this saves you dissappointment when we are full, helps us to ensure that we are appropriately staffed and aids the kitchen with food preparation. This is not high brow snobbery, but common practice to be sure you get a table when you want one. That is by no way to say that customers can't just drop by, as many do, and of course if we have a table available we are very happy to welcome them. Concerning your comments about us not taking your order, in my experience within the trade, most restaurants would not start cooking until all members of the party are seated. Particularly in the case of a starter such as scallops that takes a short amount of cooking time and spoils very quickly. This is not in any way to be awkward and has nothing to do with cost, but is due to the pride we take in our product, ensuring the plate of food reaches you at its best and out of respect for the quality ingrediants we use. As the owner manager of Wild Thyme, one thing I can be absolutely sure of is that all customers receive a very warm welcome and a high standard of service with plenty of humility.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had heard so much about the Wild Thyme so were perhaps doomed to disappointment. We booked for lunch at 12.45 and the restaurant was empty and a bit on the cool side so we sat near the radiator which had just been turned on thankfully. But there was a wild party going on at the back of the restaurant which sounded a lot of fun. And it soon filled up. Our first choice of wine, the Italian white (the first and cheapest on the list) turned out to have sold out so we moved the second on the list - and got the last bottle. We made friends with the couple on the next table who were similarly frustrated and told us they had eaten there many times before and this was not typical.
So to the food - our starters - the blinis and the mixed seafood platter were both stunning and the bread wonderful. We should have stopped there.
The mains - a pumpkin gratin was OK but very expensive for what it was but my shin of beef - was quite frankly not up to standard. It looked wonderful with lovely mashed potatoes piped around the side but the beef, despite appearing to be very tender soon turned to cardboard upon chewing. I cannot ever remember having chewed a piece of meat for so long without being able to - er - consume it. And despite the visible presence of some rosemary it was pretty tasteless. the whole main dish being very bland. The vegetables were either uncooked or al dente not sure which and were, again, lacking in flavour. I was only able to eat half of the dish.
There appeared to be only one waitress for the whole front of house which got quite full but, certainly while we were there, we had no complaints about speed or quality of service.
Our new friends said they thought the prices had taken a significant hike recently and we certainly didn't feel it offered great value.
Perhaps this was just an off day but we would need some convincing to return.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Geoff H
Sallydaniel, Owner at Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to Wild Thyme. Unfortunately I was not serving in the restaurant on the day you visited but our supervisor had made me aware that you were not entirely happy with your meal which I was sorry to hear. Although it does not happen very often if is really disappointing for us when rarely guests do not enjoy their visit to us as Nick, me and our small team spend pretty much every waking hour preparing and serving food from scratch for the pleasure of our guests. It is a shame that you didn't highlight the problem with the beef dish when Laura checked satisfaction of your meal with you but at the end when we are not able to do anything to rectify it. I am sorry to learn that you felt our pricing was expensive. One of you ate from our lunch menu priced at £18.50 for 2 courses and £22.50 for 3 courses and the pumpkin gratin you mentioned is £14 for a main course. We have increased our pricing by on average, £1.50 a dish since we opened 5 years ago, which in real terms doesn't cover the cost increase in raw food products and fuel over the same period. We use the best quality local produce and aim to offer great food at realistic pricing; we are sorry that on this occasion we fell short of your expectations and very much hope you will visit us again.