“Nice hotel but....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Essex, UK
“Nice hotel but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The grounds looked amazing but the car park is a fair walk from the hotel. We had a terraced room on the ground floor. When we walked in the Reception was fairly busy with a lot of 'posh' looking people - my guess is they had booked for a wedding or something. Myself and my husband - wearing jeans and trainers and looking fairly 'comfortable' walked in and were the only ones out of a fair few that were totally ignored by the staff who welcomed everyone but us!

The room was clean and tidy but no drawers other than a small one in the wardrobe. Also, the ironing board was placed in the cupboard so any clothes had to be squashed against the ironing board or leave the board out.

There was no phone signal whatsoever and despite being promised free wi-fi we could get no signal at all. It felt like you were almost being forced to purchase wifi and use the hotel phone. It was supposed to be a relaxing weekend but I couldn't as I was worried that I couldn't get any calls or texts and had a 7 year old staying with grandparents.

Shame

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear usandourson,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased you liked your clean room accommodations as well as the hotel grounds. I apologize for the experience you had during check-in and for the hotel staff service provided. Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Attended our friend's wedding here, booking a junior suite for 2 nights. Room was great - loads of space, lovely bathroom and great big comfortable bed. Some minor points such as the 2nd TV in the suite not working (yes there were 2 TV's) and the worst ironing board in the history of hotel ironing boards, also some questionable sticky stains on the wall. Overall very comfortable.

Staff were very friendly and only let down was the no-show of the replacement ironing board that was promised by the reception.

Breakfast was really nice - one in the restaurant and one in bed - both exceeded expectation.

Friend’s wedding was lovely although it did feel a bit conveyor belt and staff clearly got a bit disgruntled when the ceremony overran putting the days itinerary behind a little. This was a shame but did not impact on the joyous day too much. Word of warning if you do go and budget allows then the extra investment to stay in the newer Crowne Plaza side of the hotel is worth it. Rooms in the older Hall end were small and generally a disappointment as reported by the rest of the wedding party.

Room Tip: Suites in the Crown Plaza side are worth the extra cost if your budget allows.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Thank you for your comments, we constantly review feedback and adjust our services accordlingly, please be assured that your review has been discussed with the team.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on the weekend and I have to say what a nice hotel this is. We were greeted by excellent hotel staff and this remained almost for our whole stay, i say almost as I was served by a very odd barman/waiter who kept frowning at my orders which I found odd to be honest and hence why the service wasn't given top marks.
The hotel is in a great location and the views are lovely. I also managed to use the swimming pool and spa which were all clean and tidy. I would stay here again in an instant and it's a great place as a base for Bicester shopping village.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for posting your comments on the Trip Advisor website. Our aim is to offer high standards throughout our resort. We constantly review feed back and adjust our services accordingly, please be assured that your review has been discussed with the team. And where appropriate training will be undertaken. We hope to see you again,
Regards J Angus Resort Director
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I booked this hotel for my husband's birthday , somewhere different, out of a city. Out of the way it was, but really impressed by the drive up to the property. Check in was quick and easy, and table booked for dinner at check-in. Was informed by reception that pool was a 10 min walk away but was offered a lift by the golf buggy if needed. As we were lucky and it wasn't raining we enjoyed the scenic walk round the old building. We booked a twin double executive and were really impressed with size and layout. Mini-bar wasn't stocked, but it was made clear this would be done if requested. Bar prices not too bad ( it is a hotel after all). Dinner was nice, made better by great customer service. Always lots of staff around which is nice to see and they couldn't do enough for you. Breakfast was great. Check out was quick, hotel was busy so you can understand that if you leave it until 11.45 to check out when check out time is mid-day, you're going to get a queue. Overall really impressed with hotel, staff and settings...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you both again - may be for your birthday -

Reading, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is very clean and reception staff very friendly and helpful.

The rooms are clean but our £175 family room, whilst having two double beds, wasnt exactly spacious.

Dinner - started out badly, after confirming our name and reservation and room number was asked to produce my room key to the woman checking bookings - very nearly walked out then and probably should have.

The kids buffet for our daughter was poor at best, bits of pizza, chicken nuggets, spag bol, wedges and sweetcorn. My advice would be to order something from the menu and dont touch the buffet.

Our dinner was good enough although the merlot was pretty rough and should be a fiver in any co-op rather than £25.

The beds were very comfortable and we all slept very well.

Breakfast was a good spread, all cooked well and not left to dry out. Plenty of choice.

The biggest let down for us was the leisure center. They dont advertise the fact but it is actually a separate building from the hotel and is the best part of a 10 minute walk. The pictures make it look great but they are deceptive.

The gym is full of machines, very cramped, the free weights only go upto 26kg dumbells and there are no bars.

The pool is not as big as it looks in the pics and was made much smaller by the rope dividing it in two - half set aside for club members!! Also kids have to be out by 1830.

Not a bad stay and am sure it would be much better in the summer when one can walk the grounds etc but not worth a return visit for us.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the TripAdivisor site, I was disappointed to read your comments, but they have been taken onborard. Our aim to is offer high class standards to all our guests. We hope to see you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Decent overall. Hotel is in wonderful grounds, with lovely rural views. There is an on site golf course, and lots of wooded areas and a lake.

Room is comfortable and quite large, although the bed side lights did not work. The decor is quite flashy, and a bit at odds with the rural surroudings. Beds very comfortable.

Rest of the hotek decor is rather brash, not my cup of tea, but perfectly clean and in good order.

Hotel is rural, you will need a car. About £40 taxi ride to Oxford in the evening if you want to go out. Staff are friendly.

I wouldnt stay in this hotel again, but I would stay in the asttached hotel, am amazing listed country house converted into a botique hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the gardens, rather than the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your comments on the TripAdvisor website. We take all comments on board and address the issues concerned accordingly. We hope to see you again.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed here a couple of days and would say it was pretty average. Rooms well decorated and clean but very cramped. Drinks in the bar were quite expensive. Ordered two double baileys and it came to £16! Mini fridge was empty. Had to request it to be filled. Also the temperature in the hotel was quite cold. Especially in the bar near the ballroom. My biggest complaint has to be that there was very little or no signal for mobile phones and they charge £9 per 24 hours for wifi in the room. Considering the fact that this is a conference centre and that a lot of businessmen and women come here you would think that if they can't do anything about the phone reception they would include the wifi in the cost of the rooms. As for the spa, I did have a really good massage. I also has my nails done but was a bit disappointed with this. As soon as the last stroke of polish went on, I was shown the door. My nails were still very wet, so by the time I got down to the spa reception, I had ruined 3 of the nails. As I had them done for a special event that evening, I ended up going back to my room and taking it all off! Very disappointing.
The best thing about the hotel was the warmth and friendliness some of the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park, I have discussed your comments with the team.

I was disapointed to read your comments on your nails and would like to offer a complimentary nail polish on your next visit to our hotel, please contact me directly on 01608 673333 when you would like to next visit.
John Angus
Eynsham Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!