I had originally booked for the Main House, but due to the negative reviews I spoke with two, extremely, helpful members of the Heythrop Team (Francesa (hope I spelt that right) and Marilyn)) on a few occassions. They listened to my concerns and organised for me to stay at the Plaza instead.
The tree lined approach with glimpses of the landscape were lovely, easy to park he car and after about one minutes walk we were at Reception. Right from the start greeting with a smile. Marilyn even came down to say hello, which I was not expecting.
Others have complained about the layout of the hotel, it really is not confusing at all and I felt that the two buildings complemented one another, architectural taste is truely an individual thing.
The only downsides to the stay were:
- room a little on the small side - as not in the room that often not a real problem at all
- small windows therefore little natural light - lots of artificial light, at night fantastic as really dark and condusive to a very good nights sleep
- tip of iron broken - housekeeping changed within five minutes
- we were only there for 3 nights
The upsides were:
- fantastic Heythrop Team, friendly and helpful, never felt ignored or a bother it needed assistance
- we ate in the restaurant, only managed a starter and main. Although I was full the food was too good to leave, ended up over eating and fell asleep within ½ hour of finishing
- we ate in the mezzanine before leaving, this time did not have a starter (I learnt my lesson), again, food so good we couldn't leave any on the plate
- thought I'd miss out not being able to have a bath. The shower in the room was fantastic, power or rainfall, I of course swapped between the two
- the biscuits and hot chocolate in the rooms
- bed soooo comfortable
- within our room practically no noise was heard from other guests, just someone praticising their singing scales and that was only for ten minutes or so
- unlike other hotels, if you forget your toothpaste, they do not make you pay for it (Colgate by the way)
It really is worth having a walk round the main house, I can understand why staying there would be problematic and as with all stately homes it is old and in need of some attention, nevertheless, beautiful building and grounds.
I know it may sound like I am a friend or maybe an employee of the hotel but I am not and if I am ever in that corner of Oxford again this will be my first choice of hotel.
I highly recommend staying here.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Superbreak UK so you can book your Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire