“Would recommend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
London, United Kingdom
“Would recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

I had originally booked for the Main House, but due to the negative reviews I spoke with two, extremely, helpful members of the Heythrop Team (Francesa (hope I spelt that right) and Marilyn)) on a few occassions. They listened to my concerns and organised for me to stay at the Plaza instead.

The tree lined approach with glimpses of the landscape were lovely, easy to park he car and after about one minutes walk we were at Reception. Right from the start greeting with a smile. Marilyn even came down to say hello, which I was not expecting.

Others have complained about the layout of the hotel, it really is not confusing at all and I felt that the two buildings complemented one another, architectural taste is truely an individual thing.

The only downsides to the stay were:
- room a little on the small side - as not in the room that often not a real problem at all
- small windows therefore little natural light - lots of artificial light, at night fantastic as really dark and condusive to a very good nights sleep
- tip of iron broken - housekeeping changed within five minutes
- we were only there for 3 nights

The upsides were:
- fantastic Heythrop Team, friendly and helpful, never felt ignored or a bother it needed assistance
- we ate in the restaurant, only managed a starter and main. Although I was full the food was too good to leave, ended up over eating and fell asleep within ½ hour of finishing
- we ate in the mezzanine before leaving, this time did not have a starter (I learnt my lesson), again, food so good we couldn't leave any on the plate
- thought I'd miss out not being able to have a bath. The shower in the room was fantastic, power or rainfall, I of course swapped between the two
- the biscuits and hot chocolate in the rooms
- bed soooo comfortable
- within our room practically no noise was heard from other guests, just someone praticising their singing scales and that was only for ten minutes or so
- unlike other hotels, if you forget your toothpaste, they do not make you pay for it (Colgate by the way)

It really is worth having a walk round the main house, I can understand why staying there would be problematic and as with all stately homes it is old and in need of some attention, nevertheless, beautiful building and grounds.

I know it may sound like I am a friend or maybe an employee of the hotel but I am not and if I am ever in that corner of Oxford again this will be my first choice of hotel.

I highly recommend staying here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
I was delighted to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to post them. It gives us the opportunity to improve any imperfections and maintain high standards for our future guests. Our aim is to ensure that all our clients experience a relaxing and enjoyable time in such amazing surroundings, we look forward to seeing you in the future. .
J Angus Resort Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lifton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

I booked the Crown PLaza hotel Oxford, as we had previously stayed at one near Heathrow and had been delighted with the overall service and facilities there. This hotel at Heythorp park did not disappoint and provided similar, excellent service and we were delighted with our short break. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and was so quiet and peaceful. The room was lovely and spacious and provided all the comfort one would expect from this type of hotel. Would definitely recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony so was based at the far end of the hotel - very quiet.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I was delighted to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to post them. Our aim is to ensure that all our clients experience a relaxing and enjoyable time in such amazing surroundings, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Rickmansworth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I've visited this hotel on 3 occasions now. First time was not long after opening, and many services were a disaster to say the least. Having visited gain one year later, things had improved, but this time it's finally got it right. We had a family room, which is massive and the children particularly enjoy it. But the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, about what was happening in the hotel and the local area. They tried so hard to find us a taxi for Saturday evening, which we knew would be hard due to a festival in the area, but to be kept informed of the difficulties was great.
Breakfast was fantastic, and great to be able to arrive up to 11.30 and they hadn't run out of anything.
As this hotel has such a fantastic location, and is so beautiful, we kept trying in the hope it would live up to its four stars. Most defiantly has now, and will be returning. Thank you

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful feedback that you posted. It means a lot to us here at Crowne Plaza Resort when people take the time to publish their views. We aim to ensure that all guests have a relaxing and an enjoyable time whilst here at the Crowne Plaza. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Regards J Angus Resort Director
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Brilliant room, staff, food, spa, service and facilities in the surrounding area. The reception staff were welcoming and down to earth, not snooty! Beatiful grounds. Best for couples and business and weddings. Not families. However they are child friendly when families do stay. I cant complain about the food, fab eggs, non fatty bacon and quality baked beans. None of your Heinz rubbish!

Room Tip: Not ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed 1 night as part of a long weeked. Hotel room was very comfortable and clean. Staff friendly and helpful.

Ate in the Hotel Bar and the food drink was good if a little expensive. But that's to be expected.

Would definitely stay again and recommend to friends.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
It was a pleasure to read your review. We take great pride in making sure that all our customers have an enjoyable and a relaxing time. Our aim is to maintain high standards. The team look forward to seeing you again.

J Angus Resort
Atherstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Hotel is set in beautiful grounds. We booked an exec kingsize room and was not disappointed. The bed was THE comfiest bed I have slept in. Room and bathroom were very clean and the decor and furnishings very nice. I would definately book this hotel again, its close proximity to Stratford and The Cotswolds makes it a perfect country Hotel for me.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you so much for your review that you posted on the Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed our wonderful resort, hospitality and the surrounding area. Our aim is to offer the highest of standards to our guests so that they want to come back again. We look forward to seeing you again.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Went with 8 chaps for a golfing weekend. I don’t live too far from this place but had never heard of it. We won’t talk about the quality of my golf although the course itself is beautiful. Still I very much enjoyed my walk in some stunning countryside. The hotel looks 20 or so years old, but very neat and tidy. The whole place looks to have been refurbished not too long ago and provides a very contemporary feel in stark contrast to the Georgian-style mansion that must have been the original Heythrop Park. Check In was quick, but that’s because it was empty. Bar was nice with stiff hotel prices. Nevertheless. It was pleasant area to pass a nice evening with friends. Dinner was very good, although no choice of meals (we came on a golf package). I would have thought a Table D’hote menu with some simple choices would have been a much better option. Rooms are very comfortable (we had an Exec Twin) with big bath and great – large – shower. Beds exceptionally comfy. Breakfast was ok – nothing special – although I think the kitchen was a little slow in refreshing the hot items. Negatives? Very poor mobile phone connection in the building (not sure that’s the fault of the hotel) and a big kick up the -- to the idiot who decided to blow clean the carpark outside our bedroom window at 7.30am. All in all, very pleasant.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you for the feedback that you posted on the Trip Advisor website, it means a lot to us when people take the time to publish their views. It gives us the opportunity to improve any imperfections. Your comments have been taken on board - we are working hard to offer a higher standard of mobile phone signal. And I am delighted that you and your colleagues enjoyed your golfing weekend in our spectacular grounds.
Regards J Angus Resort Director
Eynsham Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,152 reviews
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!