“Excellent hotel with great customer service.”

Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am astonished to read so many negative reports about this hotel but as I can only speak as I find I have to say my partner and I had the most wonderful time. The staff on reception could not do enough to help when we arrived. Our room was small but the attention to detail was excellent. A great shower, lots of hanging space, but the bed was comfortable and the room very clean. We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and had one of the nicest meals I had had for a long time. We had a lovely walk in the grounds, we drank in the bar and all the staff were very attentive. We used the swimming pool and the gym, and my partner who is a personal trainer was very impressed. The staff in the gym were so friendly and had a chat with me whilst I waited for my partner. We ordered room service on the Saturday night as reception were very honest and said it would probably be very busy in the restaurant even though they said they would make us a reservation if we wanted one. The room service meal arrived promptly and the young man who delivered it was excellent. Room service phoned later to ask if the meal was OK and was there anything else we needed. Great service. We did not pay a lot for the weekend but I would pay more and stay longer next time. This hotel is clearly set up a conference centre but it works as both. My partner and I have already decided we will be coming back and may this time upgrade to a bigger room. Well done to the management for training your staff in all areas to be very courteous, polite and making our stay so enjoyable. .

2  Thank HalfMoon2014
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us.
We take all feedback from guests, positive and negative, very seriously and we will ensure that your positive comments are passed on to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Just to start off, I was really disappointed with this "4 star" hotel/ resort and wanted to give Just a brief summary of why I would never come back here.

(they asked me to write a review...and this is what I wrote)

1. Crown Plaza failed to mention to anyone that there was a system failure and that they moved my entire family (the of the bride) with all the same last names over to another quarter of the resort that was 1. un-air conditioned and 2. a tiny room with maybe a twin bed to sleep on...I shared a twin bed with my friend in an un-air conditioned room and obviously was not able to sleep. What i don't understand is that we all booked at separate times, how would your system failure affect ALL of us? is it because we all had the same last name? because my sister's Caucasian husband had no issues and we booked at the same time...so I don't know what to think of your company. Sure you refunded us the night for messing up, but honestly...if your staff knew that you had a system failure and had moved us all into these tiny rooms, why didn't anyone get a call or email? and why did I get an email confirming that I was going to stay at the crown plaza instead of the hethrop quarter? I couldn't saved myself a lot of time and grief if you had just told us ahead of time...I would have stayed back in London for an extra day.

2. When the night staff finally told me I was going to stay in the hethrop quarter...no one even bothered to help me look for it or help me with my 30kg luggage. They just pointed in the direction I had to go and told me to "follow the signs". I lugged my 30kg luggage up and down stairs walking around the resort to find my room...It took me 45 minutes because the signs or their instructions weren't clear...To put things into perspective...they just told a little 5'1.5, 115lb Chinese girl to lug around her humongous luggage and basically find her own way to the tiny, un-air conditioned room. Talk about customer service.

3. The manager agreed to upgrade us to a Sr. Suite which was really nice...but the complaint doesn't end here. After the wedding reception me and my friend went to bed. In the middle of the night at like 3 or 4 in the morning a man managed to come into our room without a key card, TWICE! He was looking for his friend "Dave" and was probably intoxicated. when he came in the first time I thought it was a dream, then he came in the second time and I got up and yelled at him to get out of our room! Luckily I shared a room with my friend and luckily this wasn't a bad man. When I yelled at him to get out of our room he did. Could you imagine if this man WASN'T a good man? and what if I was by myself in the room?...this situation could have been a lot worse...I could have been violated.
In the morning when we told the manager she agreed to give us a free breakfast and that she'd go and check the key logs to see who gave him a key. After our breakfast she had informed us that no one had given out our room key and that there was no record of anyone trying to get in. She basically said that either we didn't lock the door properly or that I let this man into a room. I was bewildered at the last comment...how could you even say that after I came to you about this serious problem and even said I could have been violated. What a way to make me feel unreasonable. She agreed to go up to the room and show me the key log, but I was so taken back by the comment and so furious that I just stood there. My family was there as well so I was just telling them the whole situation, which took a while so the manager had agreed to go up to the room first and meet us there when we were ready go up. Right when we got there the manager changed her approach from making us feel unreasonable, to apologetic because she realized that she was able to open our door without a lock. Someone could have broken into our room and stolen all our stuff or come in the middle of the night and violate us. At first she said there wasn't much she could do because it wasn't really her problem and that it was a "maintenance issue" and then after telling her that someone could have stolen our stuff she paused and said "ya I can see where you're coming from, i'll be able to refund you 20 quid"...I was so taken back at the fact that she was only willing to refund our room 20 pounds...it was an insult really...20 pounds for staying in an unsecured room. Wow.
Then after saying that we could have been VIOLATED by an intoxicated man that came into our room yesterday....she agreed that she would refund 50 pounds and that it was all she could do. She kept mentioning that it wasn't her fault or the resort's fault because it was a maintenance issue...well if it's a maintenance issue it damn well is your issue and you should have refunded us our entire stay! you clean these rooms everyday, and this faulty lock issue has been brought up in the past - I looked it up on trip advisor. So this is very much YOUR problem and the manager should have taken it upon herself to refund us our entire stay.
After she said she'd only be able to refund us 50 pounds for our trouble, I was already so fed up with crown plaza so I agreed and just wanted her to get out of our room.
But this 50 pound refund, to me, states that crown plaza feels that the my life and my friend's life, security and comfort was only worth 50 pounds...Good on you.
It probably doesn't help your cause that my sister and her husband are travel bloggers with thousands of followers...
After my experience with you I doubt you'll be getting a very good review on their website either.

So, in short...This is why I would never come back and never recommend this resort to any of my family, friends or colleagues.

Room Tip: make sure your rooms lock properly. After going through the lock issue, I went around seeing If I co...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Deanna P
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take all complaints very seriously so please be assured that all the issues you raised in your review have been addressed both at Management and Operational level.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed two nights - using my priority club points to pay for the room. Heythrop Park is a golf resort with a Crowne Plaza and a De Vere Hotel. Reception were friendly and on arrival we were advised that we had been upgraded to a king size room which was excellent. Spotlessly clean and well furnished and spacious.

The hotel tries hard - but is rather soul-less. The walk from our room to the restaurant was a real trek.We ate dinner there on the first evening and the service and food were first rate.

I am re-reading this crit thinking I am being hard on this hotel - I suspect it is may be just not for us. I am sure golfers would adore the place.

Whilst we enjoyed our walks in the extensive grounds I doubt we would return to Heythrop Park

Room Tip: we were on 007 - spacious lower ground floor room with a patio area and parking close by so you did...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and that you found the food and service of a high standard.
We appreciate all feedback and will ensure we communicate this to the team.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We recently spent a Sunday night at the Crown Plaza and found the experience a mixture of positives and negatives.
The resort is set in extensive grounds in peaceful Oxfordshire countryside. We were, therefore, disappointed that there was little opportunity to sit outside and enjoy the setting: there were just a few seats on the terrace and a rather haphazard collection of wicker seats outside the bar area. We decided to sit and have a drink here and found ourselves sitting in an area littered with cigarette butts, plastic stirrers (too many to have been left from the night before) and also broken glass. We noticed the next morning that the area was still not clean (even the glass was still there) and reported this at the reception desk.
Our room, however was excellent. The large bed was very comfortable and the room tastefully furnished. The bathroom was spotless and had an excellent shower.
When we saw the restaurant we had high hopes: the way it was furnished and decorated suggested we were in for a good experience. The food, unfortunately did not match the outward appearance. While there was nothing actually wrong with the food we ate, the menu was unadventurous and very little appeared to have been cooked on the premises. Before the meal we were asked if we would like to order a drink and we requested a kir. This is by no means an obscure drink but no one in the restaurant had a clue what we were asking for. The staff were friendly but seemed inexperienced and the service felt amateurish.
We would have been less critical had not this been an "upmarket" resort hotel but it unfortunately fails to deliver in some areas.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Youngrose

Thank you for you recent review of your stay with us. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, but are sorry that some aspects did not meet your expectations.
We take all feedback very seriously and have passed your comments on to the relevant departments so we can make the necessary changes to procedures and where needed, re-train staff members.
Thank you once again and hope you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Crown Plaza for a short summer break after booking through a "deals" website. We stayed in an executive room which I found to be very nicely decorated with an extremely huge and comfortable bed plus an excellent and refreshing shower. We had previously attended a wedding at the venue and from the look of the hotel was encouraged to stay. The grounds are fantastic and there are a couple of walks you can do to explore the place. The Crown Plaza is also linked to the DeVere venue which you can explore and has a magnificent reception room. The resort also has a separate leisure facility with pool, steam, sauna and gym (no Jacuzzi :-(). These facilities were modern and clean and double as a club house for the golf course.

The staff were present and friendly. We only had breakfast at the hotel, which was fair, nothing special really. Selection was a little restricted but again, nicely decorated and relaxing. We stayed Sunday through to Tuesday so not sure what the place is like when packed. I would definitely stay again as there are a range of things to do on-site and I found the rooms very comfortable.

There are also many places to see and visit in a 10-15 mile radius of the place all connected by beautiful country drive and if you like a quaint pub, you will find many of these.

Room Tip: Executive (3rd floor I think?) ideally facing the front of the building for best views. Please note...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
We very much look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I just can't believe it. We booked a Golf & Spa break for 2 couples through Golfbreaks.com, the men playing Golf and our wives were having a 55min Spa treatment at 3pm on the day of arrival according to the itinerary.
We were phoned by Golfbreaks.com 10 days before our break and told that the hotel had taken the 2 Spa slots that were booked for 3pm and given them to a larger group. They said they are sorry, but the only alternative was 2 x early morning 25min slots at 9am the following day and as compensation they would allow my friend and I to have free use of a golf buggy for our round of golf.
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A PLACE LIKE THIS WOULD TREAT CUSTOMERS IN THIS WAY. It is absolutely appalling. This was booked as a 60th birthday treat. I will never consider using CROWNE hotels again. When Golfbreaks.com spoke to the manager and complained on our behalf he was apparently uninterested and unapologetic. Well if this is the kind of management they employ.......BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We are very sorry that you have experienced problems ahead of your stay with us.
Please be assured that your concerns are being dealt with internally before your arrival and we hope that your stay with us is relaxing and enjoyable.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I believe a hotel should be judged on how they perform when they make mistakes.This is actually a decent hotel, but is sadly let down by terrible customer service. I had a really bad experience at the hands of the hotel and the way the management (not the staff) handled the situation was unbelievable. I have traveled the world and stopped in 1 star to 7 star hotels and none of my previous experiences can match this hotel and the management. I would highly recommend that you do not stay in the hotel and search for another alternative. They are also understaffed and it is over priced, in addition we had to wait 10 minutes to be seated for breakfast! This wasn't even at peak time. Very poor and the General Manager (Initials D.P.) should hang her head in shame for the way she acted. This is my first ever negative on trip advisor, so I am not a negative person.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve M

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the hotel.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us but please be assured that we do take all feedback very seriously and your comments will be passed on to the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
#12 of 44 in Oxford
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!