“Rural Cotswolds location with shagadelic decor straight out of "Austin Powers."”

Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place has the basics covered (bedding, AC, plumbing all A-OK), but the rooms are VERY CRAMPED and the staff inexperienced and not helpful - with the singular exception of Mr Allan Bowdon (the concierge) who was very helpful in advising us in our exploration of the Cotswolds. Food was good. Oddly, the barman didn't know what a Manhattan was. Parking is awkwardly remote from the entry. And the various levels of the building make interior navigation exceptionally difficult.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Paul K
GMHeythrop, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your comments, we take all comments on board and appreciate the feedback so that we can make improvements where needed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I do not write many reviews but i thought this hotel deserved it we booked 2 rooms last week one suite and one double for our kids following a long day of shopping in Bicester,which incidentally was not 15 mins away like the reservations staff told me but nearly 45 mins.
From the moment we arrived after the post code is wrong for the sat nav and the lack of signs for the hotel.I knew this was not going to be a good stay when i pulled up and the guy behind the reception watched me struggle with aprox 20 shopping bags and full luggage for 4 of us,he never even passed a trolley.
I had pre booked rooms next door to each other as we had the kids with us,checked at reception to be told they were next door,they were in fact down the corridor.
The mini bar was empty in the room this i requested to be filled at my cost this was never done.
We went to the empty restraunt at 6.30 to be told they were full up i said to the guy the restraunt is more or less empty, he said we can only have 20 bookings even though there was seating for approx 140 people!
We then cut through the hotel to the even scruffier DeVere restraunt that was old and musty like an old train waiting room,the food was terrible.
I am cutting this short as i am busy, but breakfast was terrible,the cleaners knocked our door at 8.30am to see if we were leaving ,we were still in bed,they then camped outside the room like Russian investigators until we left at 11.30.
A terrible ,stressful excuse for a hotel,we will never stay again having spent £470 on one night ,if it were a Travel Lodge at £50 no problem but this hotel has serious problems

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank scarlettandevie
GMHeythrop, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for feedback, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have taken all your comments on board and they will be discussed with my team.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Car park was ok but out of site of hotel. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful. We had a Senior Suite which was very nice, Wi-Fi in room was extra although free in public areas but my ipad connected to free option from public area without any problem. (big smile saved £9. believe this should be free anyway in a room that costs £200 per night). Very nice bathroom, extremely comfy bed. Bar area was ok but a normal chair to sit on would have been better, (low down settees, funny shaped chairs, some with no armrests) it could have been cleaner too. staff were quite helpful. Booked a meal in the restaurant which was superb, fantastic steak, lovely wine. Breakfast was also very nice (get a window seat great view of grounds) Spent the day at nearby Blenheim Palace, hotel close enough to be convenient for this. Golf course here as well for you golfers which looked good although I didn't play golf ;-( . Overall a very nice place.

Room Tip: if you want a view go up, we chose a senior suite, which was down with French doors that opened up t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback on the Hotel, I am glad to hear that you had a relaxing stay with us.
Your comments with regards your dining experience has been passed on to our Head Chef, I am glad to hear you enojoyed the food and wine.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here for my girlfriend's birthday weekend and loved every minute.

I must admit, it's hard to believe we stayed in the same hotel as some of the other reviewers below as our stay was brilliant and without a hitch.

The room, despite it's odd shape, was fit for purpose and very comfortable. The amenities offered in the way of robes, complimentary bottles of water, mini fridge, etc. were on par with much more expensive hotels and the wetroom with the large rain fall shower head especially deserves a mention - didn't want to get out! Little touches like the demisting mirror was also particularly savvy.

Although we didn't eat or drink at the hotel - the staff that we did come across were professional and attentive throughout our stay.

Unfortunately due to the good old English weather, we didn't get to spend much time wondering around the grounds however upon check-in we were given a map of the hotel site, and walking routes which we found especially helpful.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and I would not hesitate to recommend others and book again myself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank B9X

Thank you for your great feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at Heythrop Park Resort for your girlfriends Birthday weekend.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed Easter 2014. Where can I start? Check in - given a room without a bath (even though one was booked) with blood stains on the floor and grease on the bedding. Moved to a different room after complaining to find air con stuck on 25C continually (only way to make room cooler was to pull the power card out of the wall) - fixes attempted they say, no change though. Thumping vibration 2 nights out of 4 due to wedding parties being held, one of which continually set off the fire alarm until 2am. Night Manager of hotel openly rude and aggressive to both myself and other guests who complained about the alarms and his lack of effort to fix. Car park lights faulty. Food service staff rude, breakfasts partly cold, poorly cooked, indifferently served. Carpets dirty throughout. "Spa Resort" "Swimming Pool" - don't believe it, it's half a mile up a back service road as actually built BEYOND a neighbouring property. Not in Chipping Norton (not even near in fact - OK we could have found that out with a map but I tend to rely on addresses being accurate). Had to get a piece of clothing cleaned, but found there is no laundry service at all over any weekend and bank holiday period. Company REFUSE to take any form of complaint at front desk, referring myself and MANY others to email them. Over a month later and dispute follow up emails NO REPLY WHATSOEVER (watch them reply below - and no reply to my booking agent either...). Photos everywhere misleading - this is a modern hotel tacked onto an old country house - but the country house is a different hotel and you're not welcome there to eat or drink we found. And on the day of check out - alarm call at 7:45 AM and a phone call at 10AM even though check out wasn't until 11. Absolute worst experience I have ever had at a hotel anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Choose a good room - in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bordersbloke
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Bordersbloke,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regretful to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your room accommodation and with the service received from our hotel staff.

We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The drive up to the hotel promises much and indeed the arrival at the building was delightful with an beautiful old manor house which told a story at every corner you looked. Having grabbed my bags and headed to reception to check in, I was informed that I was in the wrong part of the building and I needed to be at the sister hotel around the corner. Back in the car, down the lane and nice setting to car park a few minutes walk away from my booked accommodation. The planning committee of Oxford-shire have despicably let them selves down by allowing a concrete Thunderbird-esque building to be built alongside something as historic and beautiful as the one next door.
The hotel was fine for my purposes, and even had a nice pumped real ale on the bar rather than the usual hotel rubbish. The rooms were clean and beds very comfortable with a nice touch of having a sleep well kit (consisted of two oils which I did not use). Major downside was my room struggled for WIFI connection even though it was supposed to be available. My colleague further down the corridor had a good reception. I must of fell unlucky on my room allocation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HugSheff
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear HughShef,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate you mentioning that our rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. However, it is unfortunate to learn that our property has fallen short to some of your expectations.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the internet service provided. I have taken note of your comments and shared them with our hotel management for review and consider upgrades to make all of our rooms equally satisfactory.

Faith R

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've just returned from a Hen Weekend with 11 girls staying at Heythrop. Firstly, the positives - sadly not many. The rooms are lovely and the showers great. The grounds and setting are very pleasant. Now the negatives. THE STAFF! Most of them are totally incompetent. Despite booking afternoon tea for 2.30, it didn't arrive until 3.40. The Manager was unhelpful and rude and the staff serving didn't have a clue. At one point, one of our group went to the kitchen area and was asked to take the tea in herself to serve it to us. We insisted on 2 free bottles of fizz as compensation which the staff poured for us, then took the remaining amount in the bottles away! The staff at dinner were slightly more accommodating but the food was average and not particularly hot. The rooms, whilst modern, clean and spacious are ridiculously hot, despite me adjusting the air con to 19. We did not have breakfast in the main restaurant and were instead shown to a function room with round tables and a makeshift buffet. Certainly not a 'private dining room' that we were told we were going to. I definitely would not stay at this hotel again. It promises much and delivers very little.

Room Tip: Go to an alternative hotel nearby!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DaniH0103
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear DaniH0103,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am glad that you found the showers excellent.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations particularly with the room temperature and level of service you received. Please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience it may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us an avenue to improve our guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

#7 of 45 in Oxford
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!