I was so looking forward to my night away with my daughter last weekend. The hotel, rooms, location and facilities all looked super on the website so we were both excited.
I booked online, direct with the hotel about a month ago for a Double bed Exec room (in a quiet location of the hotel). Got my confirmation, checked it, everything appeared fine.
However, when we checked in I was told that their system showed 2 Exec rooms under my Surname and I had been charged twice!
Not exactly what I wanted to hear within 2 minutes of arriving. Naturally I was cross and stressed.
Luckily I had a hard copy of my confirmation with me which they needed to cross-check with their records. The Manager told me he would sort it out in a few hours but in the meantime the only room they had available was right next to the lift & on the way back from the bar - a real shame since we had specifically requested a quiet location.
Not wanting to get further stressed we took the room. Entering the room I was surprised how small the room was (given the fact it was an Exec room). We had no view at all. As someone else has mentioned, the curtains did not fully close. The mirror a massive crack in it and the toilet seat was broken. Given the price we had paid I was again, not happy.
On the plus side, the beds were very comfy so off to sleep we went. There was noise from people coming and going to the bar till late and then at 2am an alarm starting going off right outside our room :( We realised it was the Fire Doors that were bleeping so reported it to Reception and I'm glad to say they fixed it very quickly however it took me forever to get back off to sleep.
Breakfast the next day was in a lovely room and the staff were very helpful however I found the quality of food lacking. Buffet style so the eggs were a complete no-no, very fatty bacon & poor quality sausages. The other Reviewer was right about the toaster situation. Totally inadequate given the number of guests all wanting toast at the same time and having to re-enter each piece twice to get it brown. Something else I hated was the fact they allowed people to eat dressed only in their Spa dressing gowns. I'm sorry but that is unacceptable. I'm all for a casual dress code but that it taking it too far.
Trying to finish on a positive note:-
* The pool was nice - lovely and warm and the changing rooms were clean.
* The grounds are worth a walk/bike-ride round as they are lovely - complete with a nice kids play area.
* Good location too for exploring Chipping Norton (only 10 mins drive away).
I've given the overall rating an Average which sounds generous given our experience however the staff worked hard to sort things out for us so I want to be even-handed as I think it's probably worth a second visit at some stage.
My credit card was refunded 3 days later for the extra room mistake.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, IHG, Booking.com, Superbreak UK, Priceline, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire