“Mixed review; catalogue of mistakes”

Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Bucks
“Mixed review; catalogue of mistakes”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was so looking forward to my night away with my daughter last weekend. The hotel, rooms, location and facilities all looked super on the website so we were both excited.

I booked online, direct with the hotel about a month ago for a Double bed Exec room (in a quiet location of the hotel). Got my confirmation, checked it, everything appeared fine.
However, when we checked in I was told that their system showed 2 Exec rooms under my Surname and I had been charged twice!
Not exactly what I wanted to hear within 2 minutes of arriving. Naturally I was cross and stressed.
Luckily I had a hard copy of my confirmation with me which they needed to cross-check with their records. The Manager told me he would sort it out in a few hours but in the meantime the only room they had available was right next to the lift & on the way back from the bar - a real shame since we had specifically requested a quiet location.

Not wanting to get further stressed we took the room. Entering the room I was surprised how small the room was (given the fact it was an Exec room). We had no view at all. As someone else has mentioned, the curtains did not fully close. The mirror a massive crack in it and the toilet seat was broken. Given the price we had paid I was again, not happy.
On the plus side, the beds were very comfy so off to sleep we went. There was noise from people coming and going to the bar till late and then at 2am an alarm starting going off right outside our room :( We realised it was the Fire Doors that were bleeping so reported it to Reception and I'm glad to say they fixed it very quickly however it took me forever to get back off to sleep.

Breakfast the next day was in a lovely room and the staff were very helpful however I found the quality of food lacking. Buffet style so the eggs were a complete no-no, very fatty bacon & poor quality sausages. The other Reviewer was right about the toaster situation. Totally inadequate given the number of guests all wanting toast at the same time and having to re-enter each piece twice to get it brown. Something else I hated was the fact they allowed people to eat dressed only in their Spa dressing gowns. I'm sorry but that is unacceptable. I'm all for a casual dress code but that it taking it too far.

Trying to finish on a positive note:-
* The pool was nice - lovely and warm and the changing rooms were clean.
* The grounds are worth a walk/bike-ride round as they are lovely - complete with a nice kids play area.
* Good location too for exploring Chipping Norton (only 10 mins drive away).

I've given the overall rating an Average which sounds generous given our experience however the staff worked hard to sort things out for us so I want to be even-handed as I think it's probably worth a second visit at some stage.

My credit card was refunded 3 days later for the extra room mistake.

Room Tip: Floor 3 if you want a quiet location
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lissybubs
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear lissybubs,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had an Ok time but wouldn't go back. Overall I thought it would be nicer than it actually turned out to be. The room was rather small and there was very little storage space. The window was small and oddly positioned.There was a nice comfortable bed but I did not sleep well because the curtains would not draw properly and the early morning light seared my eyes. The weirdly positioned dressing table mirror didn't help either. Cleanliness was an issue - a dirty teaspoon and filthy grouting in the shower, which also housed a spider! We had dinner in the restaurant which was not great - my partner's chicken was very dry. Staff were minimally helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mrs_NR1
Dear Mrs_NR1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed in a suite and could not have been happier
It was spacious room and the bathroom had a fabulous walk in shower. Good quality toiletries and little extras like bottled water, a good choice of drinks, biscuits etc were nice little touches
The staff in the restaurant were eager to please and very friendly.
Breakfast was very busy and the only criticism would be the toaster which was totally inadequate for the number of guests staying.
The grounds are well looked after and pleasant for a after dinner stroll
Would highly recommend spending the extra to upgrade to a suite.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlooking gardens tend to be quieter
2 Thank wendy m
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. we have noted your thoughts about the toaster and will look into it.We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We'd booked for a mini break to coincide with my partner's birthday.
The hotel is tastefully decorated with the rooms being well equipped. The food during both breakfast and the evening meal was great. The staff are polite and can't seem to do enough for you. Late checkout was not an issue.
A very special thank you to Louise, the Front of House Manager. She and her team pulled out all the stops to make the birthday extra special in terms of organising flowers, cake and the also adding a room upgrade too!!
A nice relaxing break in wonderful surroundings. Would happily return and use it as a base to explore the surrounding countryside on a longer stay with time perhaps to use the spa and other leisure facilities.

1 Thank Flyb0y777
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards
London UK
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I found a deal for this hotel on a website. On arrival I produced my voucher along with my IHG membership card. The receptionist did not have any hesitation in advising me that I was in fact booked in the less expensive hotel next door - De Vere (formerly Heythrop Park Hotel). a couple of phone calls later and being glued to the floor we were eventually offered a room at the rate that had been prebooked. Room facilities were good, although the room size was somewhat small. The dressing table mirror is permanently angled in a very interesting position! We made use of the shared spa facilites which is unusually located outside of the property so make sure you wear appropriate clothing. The grounds of the property are impressive but the staff do not match up. Breakfast is served in a monochrome dining area, staff did not want 2 of us to sit in a 4 seated area as she had other groups of 4 arriving for breakfast, when asked what time the guests were arriving she reluctantly showed us to our chosen dining area. Porridge took forever to arrive (special request) and was inedible on arrival. Buffet breakfast okay although the container in which the bacon was located allowed it to steam, therefore it was not crispy but very limp.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a park view
2 Thank Stewardess56
Dear Stewardess56,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Members and writing us feedback. I am glad to hear that our facilities worked for your needs. On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have had during breakfast. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Party of golfers booked weekend in March. Booked for 2 rounds of golf dinner (3 course meal)
bed and breakfast. However about 2 weeks before dinner was changed to buffet. So when it came to eating the food selection was very poor and it was did not taste very good either. There were other party of golfers and it was clear the hotel grouped all the golfers with buffet dining. Anyone ordering food in the golf bar...not worth the price charged. The food there is certainly not prepared by a chef but likely by the bar staff.
Saying that the grounds of the hotel are lovely anyone wanting to play golf book a buggy lots of long walks between tee's. Used gym and spa nice facilities. Staff are hospitable

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RhodesLondon
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear RhodesLondon

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your visit to Heythrop Park.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your golf break when you stayed in March and your valued comments have been duly noted.

At the time of your stay we made the desicion to offer a buffet dinner in one of our restaurants. I am most sorry if the food was not to the usual high standards.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Heythrop Park in the near future.

Kind regards.
woolacombe
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My experience of the Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park was mixed to say the least! As we approached the beautiful grounds and saw the stunning house through the trees it looked promising ..until the conference centre attached to it was then revealed looking not dissimilar to a car park block. However as I had seen this on their website I remained open minded. Although I had pre paid I was told my card had declined - which it hadn't.i thought the issue was then dealt with but I then had to go through this scenario 2 more times despite having already paid for the room and not leaving a card at reception! Our room was OK for our needs, clean and the bed was comfortable. Not quite sure why there was one robe in a room meant and booked for two?The décor was better than most conference hotels having chosen muted colours rather than the usual standard hideous red or blue with mdf! Unfortunately the coaches start up at 8am in the area outside the ballroom directly outside the rooms and this meant you had engines running for an hour and then also this set off car alarms so it was not a peaceful morning. The room was pretty hot too but the window didn't open very wide. The drinks tray was nice and there is a fridge provided which is good though storage area for clothes is tiny - literally ok if you are there overnight but no longer. All of the staff we met were stressed, complained about being busy and overworked and this was across the board. They all looked and acted harassed. The bar was busy and had a good atmostphere, drinks were served quickly and the bar food was really good - well priced too for a hotel and very tasty. I didnt eat in the restaurant so I cant comment on that but breakfast was chaotic. In the evening we sat outside on the grass which was lovely and the hotel had many different types of groups staying from an asian wedding to hen dos to golfing parties and mature couples away for the night! A good buzz in the bar. It's an ideal location for a conference or meeting as I presume is the intention - not quite sure why you would go there for a wedding or romantic night? The spa was good, great clean pool, lovely water, good facilities but again stressed and moaning staff. It took me about 10 minutes to get a response from the receptionist there who was in a two way moan with a chef about something - I was the only customer waiting so this was poor! The bar at the leisure area was busy and overlooks again a stunning grounds - it was lively and reasonable. The interior of the main areas was 'design' tastic but probably already dated - maybe some people would think it was trendy but I'm thinking they are probably out a decade. Still had a reasonably nice stay as we used it as a stop over on the way to Milton Keynes Bowl and to Blenheim Palace but I think this is the only reason I would stay there. Luckily the receptionist I saw last rectified the service a little by at least offering us complimentary breakfast after being told 3 times I hadn't paid by 3 different staff when I d pre paid a week before arriving which didn't add to a relaxing stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't back onto the ballroom or you will be woken up by the coaches pic...
1 Thank woolacombelocal
Dear Woolacombelocal

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your visit to Heythrop Park.

Your valued comments have been duly noted and I would like to assure you that the service you received is certainly not typical of the excellent hospitality we strive to achieve.

The hotel is set in over 400 acres and is accommodated by the Crowne Plaza section of the hotel and then the Mansion House with the Archer & Shrewsbury wings - guests that stay in either section can enjoy the facilities throughout the whole resort including the leisure facilties.

I am truly sorry for any misunderstanding with regard to your payment on arrival and I am glad that the receptionist was able to resolve this situation amicably.

I do hope that perhaps you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again in the near future.

Kind regards
Eynsham Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,206 reviews
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!