“Distinctly average”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
London, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Well, the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable, but this is clearly not a 4 star hotel. The receptionist was rude, even to my 9 year old daughter who was told she couldn't use the swimming pool after 6:30pm. If you want to go somewhere with your kids for a swim, do bear this in mind. Wifi was available in the rooms but you need to pay extra...cheek! The restaurant staff were very polite but also poorly trained. The food was very sub standard. You can see why some people think British fayre is still poor. And finally, serving gin & tonic with lemon not lime? Scandalous...

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on the Trip Advisor Website. It gives us the opportunity to improve any imperfections. Your comments have been noted and will be addressed.

J Angus Resort Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Staffordshire
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My 2 sisters and a friend stayed one night for our visit to Blenheim Palace the next day
The hotel is a beautiful building and we could have spent the whole day walking and exploring the extensive grounds.
Just check with reception if you book in the restaurant which restaurant they have booked you in, as there are more than one restaurant and the one we thought we were in was closed when we arrived for our dinner. We then we spent 15 mins trying to find out where we were eating only to find out the receptionist hadn't booked us in anywhere.
The restaurant manager sorted it out though. Well worth the wait, the food was excellent.
All in all a wonderful stay and we shall certainly be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide favourable comments. Yes, the hotel is a beautiful building and walking and exploring the extensive grounds is a source of great pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed here with some co workers for a conference. I am extremely easy to please and I have never given any place a bad review. I can not begin to explain the horrors of this "resort"....ha, resort. Granted, the grounds are very cool, a castle like place with a really nice lobby. I also didn't have too bad experience with customer service. My first room was sooo far away from my coworkers (I swear a 20 min walk), and it had dead bugs in the corner so they moved me quickly (although the guy just barged into my room and started picking up my stuff without saying anything). My second room had less dead bugs but legit looked like a scary dorm room you see in horror movies. It was god awful (and I camp in the middle of the woods...believe me, I am not picky!). And the tv had one channel that hardly worked.
The food ... Oh my....was horrible. I am a 27 yr old girl who eats pretty much anything. Literally. But I could barely eat this crap. I was then as a result starving around 930 pm but they had nothing to offer! I get not every place has room service, but not even a little shop with crackers?? I definitly lost a few pounds and hours of sleep on this trip. Maybe the non-dorm rooms are better, but please, read these bad reviews and trust then. Sometimes people are ridiculous and are negative about everything, but this time, listen to those people. Dont ever ever go here!!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank GoldiesGrl

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed recently and from other reviews I had read before hand I wasn't expecting much. First impressions were excellent, a grand building and the reception and lounge areas looked superb. Check in was a bit of a nightmare for my mother in law as she was sharing a room with a friend who had already arrived and reception wouldn't let her know the room details until they had spoken directly to the friend, so reception called the room and as there was no answer (the friend was in the bathroom at the time of the call), my mother in law was told she would have to come back later when the friend was in and she was told there was nothing more they could do, we couldn't believe it!! The same receptionist was quide rude with my other half, the receptionist practically threw the key on the counter and told my partner to 'sign that'! we werent told where our room was or which way to go to find it but luckily another guest managed to give us brief directions.We found our room which was a family room (two double beds), which is a travelodge style at very best. however we didnt go there to sit in our rooms so I wasn't too bothered about it.

We did use the spa and pool facilities which are EXCELLENT by anyones standard, very modern and quite new, had a great time with the children. BIG TICK!!!!

All seemed to be going really well............then I was stupid enough to ask for an iron and ironing board!!! Now, I have stayed in many hotels and I nearly always need to use an iron and a board, usually a simple call to reception and hey presto a few minutes later they arrive, not in this case, I went to reception and asked for the items and returned to my room, 45 minutes later I went back to reception to find out where they were, the guy on reception seemed suprised I still hadn't had it and said he will send it up to my room, I went back to my room and waited for a futher 15 minutes before I had to call reception again.....but no answer, so I walked to reception again, at this point the guy in question must have thought I was joking when I informed him I had been waiting an hour, after two seperate requests in person but he did say he would call the manager and have him bring it personally immediately.............cutting a long story short, it never arrived, I had made myself 40 minutes late for an engagement in the hope of getting an iron to iron my shirt, in the end I left wearing a creased shirt. I had waited a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes before I abandoned all hope of getting the iron and board. The way the staff had handled this situation was beyond poor.
Note:- The iron and board were outside my room when we returned at 1.30am.........!!

Breakfast was good, a good selection of cereals, fruits and cooked items on offer. The tables were presented well. The staff were generally good and all was well with the world................then I was approached by a member of staff asking if I wanted tea or coffee, I replied coffee.....she half filled my cup with tea by mistake which is an easy mistake to make (she had jugs of both you see), she apologised THEN ..............FILLED THE REST OF THE SAME CUP WITH THE COFFEE I HAD ASKED FOR. She left me with a cup containing a mix of both tea and coffee.At the very least she could have tipped the tea out first or got me a fresh cup.All of the guests at our table and myself were speechless when she informed me that I wouldnt be able to taste the tea now that coffee had been added to the cup!!!! She then simply moved onto the next table.

We checked out an hour later.

All in all, the hotel has many lovely aspects, the spa and pool, the breakfast, the communal areas in the main building as well as the extensive grounds, however there are short comings in that the rooms need updating, the website should stop using pictures of The Crowne Plaza rooms only on their website and also use pictures of their actual rooms. This would aid in at least setting the customers expectations. Last but not least a couple (not all) of members of staff should be shown the door immediately............their customer service and people skills were non existent at best and they are damaging the reputation of the hotel.

I have tried to be as fair as possible in my review by pointing out the good and the bad. Alot of what others have written on here about the place is fair.
I wouldnt stay here again, I would much rather stay in a B&B down the road in Chipping Norton

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank faircomment_12
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

this was the worst hotel experince of my and my girlfriends life! we stoped one night and can trulely say that a travel lodge was a better experince! the rooms were tiny and very dated/dirty, the grounds were in a terrible state {all over grown}, staff were misserble and the breakfast was rank! to top it of the manager is the most arogant/nastey man you could wish to meet and be warned if you stay here all you will hear at breakfast is his voice barking orders and be rude to guests! DONT GO

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard T
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The first thing you'll say when you get there is "it's massive" which indeed it is. Set in a wonderful backdrop of olde worlde Cotswoldian England, Heythrop park feels like you've just walked into the set of Downton Abbey. It's beautiful. The house and grounds are immaculate and I am sure the spa was lovely, if we'd managed to find it. The staff are helpful, but not too clued up on the surroundings but for £65 a night you won't be staying in the beautiful main house, but be one of 300+ other people sleeping in what feels like university halls. Downton Abbey this isn't, conference centre this is. The rooms were clean, efficient and a long way from the bar and reception. But for £65 a room what were we expecting? For the budget this was suitable. The rooms are a bit noisey, I listened to the neighbours have a fascinating conversation about weight loss and the fact they were having soup for dinner every night that week. But the biccies in the room made up for this. Enjoy staying there - but enjoy the surrounds nearby even more. We ate in the Crown in Church Enstone and loved it.

Room Tip: Ask where you'll be placed - if it's near the ballroom, unless your part of the wedding / co...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your views on your recent stay at Heythrop Park. It gives us the opportunity to improve any imperfection. Our aim is to offer high standards so that guests want to come back and enjoy our hospitality and wonderful surrounding areas. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We booked this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary and as we drove to the hotel through the leafy grounds our expectation and excitement increased by the minute! As we walked to the main entrance my wife said with excitement 'I've never stayed anywhere like this before!'..... How true.... On arrival we were given a room in the Archer wing, having left the main house we were magically transported back to the 1970's before health and safety insisted on cleanliness!! The room was dreadful, stained floor, bed linen, tiny TV, awful bathroom with tiles bulging from the walls.. Apparently they too were trying to escape..! When we complained we were told we could be upgraded to the 'Shrewsbury wing' hmmm, nice, we thought! Our initial glee at being moved was removed when the same teleporting system placed us back in the 'Archer' wing, but with a new bedspread & 'furniture' in a different position!! And again, the tiles (and this time also the curtains) were making a desperate bid for freedom! I CAN NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DISAPPOINTMENT & DISGUST WE FELT AT THIS JOKE OF A HOTEL HAVING MORD THAN A 1 STAR RATING. When we complained again, our cheery receptionist 'Anton' could not have been more disinterested so we immediately booked a separate hotel in nearby Woodstock, The Feathers, which was an absolute dream! If you, like us, value cleanliness, honesty and interested staff DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
#1 of 1 in Great Tew
Oxford Witney Hotel
Oxford Witney Hotel
#4 of 7 in Witney

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!