“Lovely old hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Man
“Lovely old hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Enjoyed our one night stay. Wasnt impressed with the rooms in the annexe but having said that didnt pay much for it.
I think for not much time and money they could improve the standard of the rooms. Ours for example had wallpaper peeling in the room. All it needed was some wallpaper paste and someone to stick it down. Also no bedspread on the single beds. Looked so bare with just white quilt cover and cold looking. Wouldn't have cost much to put a nice co loured bedspread or throw on it.
Staff in reception at Heythrop very nice and helpful to us.

Went to the Brassey bar at the Crowne Plaza for a snack in the afternoon and a late evening drink .Really liked the bar area and staff were attentive whilst we were there but very busy. Would like to try the Brassey restaurant but didn't get chance. Did feel that as another review mentioned hardly any other residents around in the heythrop bar or sitting area otherwise may have gone there for a late evening drink.

Breakfast in the morning in the Terrace restaurant at the Heythrop was a mostly positive experience, except for the fact that on this particular morning the plates for the hot food were not kept warm making the food cold very quickly. Thought that was a shame as it seemed good quality food but not tasting as good when lukewarm . Again staff helpful and polite.

Would visit again but may choose to stay in the Crowne Plaza rooms , although if annex rooms were improved would choose to stay at Heythrop ..Really good point is due to the hotels being interconnected able to choose best bits of both hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PRJ
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
I was disappointed to read your comments but thank you for them, and I would like to apologise for the disappointment that you experienced during your stay with us. We constantly review feedback and adjust our services accordingly, it gives us the opportunity to make improvements for our future guests. Please be assured that your review has been discussed with the team. It means a lot to us here at the Resort when people take the time to post reviews on the Trip Advisor website. We aim to ensure that all guests have a relaxing and an enjoyable time whilst here. Regards General Manager: Chris Dutton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have been to this hotel on a couple of occasions, mainly for business. It gives you a grande impression and your hopes are high as you drive up to the location on a drive that goes on forever! There is the original building which has a fantastic reception and opens out into the original feature which attracts photographers from all over, a beautiful open area with decor and furniture to complement the period features of the room. But I never see anyone in it! reading a paper or having a drink or coffee. The place has a strange feel, I never see anyone enjoying themselves! I can't put my finger on it, it's very impersonal. A feeling that the place is palacial, but lacks so much you would expect from a drive that takes so long to get to the hotel! The Plaza is the more recent addition, I've never seen the rooms so can't say although it is connected to the old part where I have stayed, it's just alright, big corridors, big open spaces, again a weird feeling of the whole ambience they are trying to create. Last time I stayed I was thinking of that film the Shining. That pretty much sums up how it feels. The staff are lovely to be fair, I have eaten in the Brassey, but don't think your meal reflects where you stay, it's nice pub food, don't elevate it to where it shouldn't be. I had crackling in my chips, so they obviously deep fry everything together! In short, it's an imposing place but look elsewhere for atmosphere and high standards of cuisine, rooms are just ok, a bit dated the one I had.

Room Tip: Try the Plaza, the old section is old rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan S
This hotel is a wonderful Country House, initially built by Charles Talbot, 1st Duke of Shrewsbury. It is a magnificent build and it was built in the Italian Palazzo style. As you said Alan, the original building which has a fantastic reception opens out into the original feature which attracts photographers from all over. The beautiful open area has decor and furniture to complement the period features which still stands. Although it suffered a serious fire in 1831 and although restored eventually became a Jesuit college before, becoming the wonderful Country House that it is now. You mentioned that you never see anybody relaxing with a book or a cup of coffee, maybe you have just been there at the wrong time. And as a team we do create events that take place in the old building to give that grandeur and opulent feeling eg: - we have had excellent choral singers, which have presented songs from many well known stage produtions which have been of an extremely high standard plus many other events. We take great pride in working as a team and we take both praise and criticism graciously. Thank you for your review of our Hotel. Regards C Dutton General Manager
Richmond, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were originally booked into the Crowne Plaza hotel as part of a weekend bridge course. We decided to stay 2 extra nights and play golf with friends and so upgraded to an executive double. We were told this gave us a larger room, a king size double bed with a shower and separate bath. Shortly before we arrived we were then told that our rooms had been upgraded to suites in the 'old' hotel. We were wary of accepting sub standard rooms, having read several reviews. We arrived shortly before our friends and were given Cedar - a room on the lower floor. It was very large and had a good modern bathroom. The bedroom felt as if it had not had a 'deep clean' for some time, but was superficially OK and comfortable. Our friends were given the room next door - very small, twin beds, no bath and only one chair - far too small for a 4 night stay and not quite the suite they had been promised. After pointing this out, they were moved to the larger Garden Room, which ticked all the boxes, but felt as if it was not often used.
We ate in the Brassey restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the service - there were not too many tables in use. A conference had taken over the Terrace restaurant. The decor in the Brassey restaurant is a bit startling, but fun.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the self service breakfasts in the Brassey restaurant were good in general.
We also had a buffet meal and a set dinner in the Terrace restaurant as part of the bridge weekend and all the food was pleasant and hot. Not easy when you have over 150 people to serve.
The only complaint was that whe trying to get a coffee at 12.45 on Sunday lunchtime in the Brassey bar, it did not arrive until 1.15pm - and then only after asking several times. The service at this time seemed very poor and several other people were trying to get a snack lunch.

Room Tip: ask about the size and facilities of the room before you accept it
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeffandLiz36
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
It is clear from your comments that your stay at the Heythrop Park Hotel was not perfect, “A mixed bag” . We as a team are working hard on behalf of our customers through planning/updating and through rigorous training programs to ensure that all guests who stay with us, have a relaxing and enjoyable time. We do hope that we will see you again in the future. Regards C Dutton General Manager.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Fantastic property and grounds. A warm welcome was received and directions to all facilities given including free use of the leisure area - nice pool etc
The room was just bearable but we had been forwarned by a trip advisor review.
Our real disappointment was the Brassey restaurant which is part of the Crowne Plaza hotel/conference centre. The decor and lighting is terrific, cream leather chairs, black walls etc, and your expectations rose......however the service was poor to say the least. The actual waiters were good and attentive but they were apologising to us and other guests every few minutes!
As it was my wife's birthday, we wanted a glass of champagne to start with - "sorry we do not serve champagne by the glass". So I asked where the nearest bar was (on the next floor down) and went and purchased two glasses and bought them back to the table. I informed the head waiter that I was disappointed that in an establishment of this quality they could not offer champagne by the glass and that I would have expected someone to have offered to go to the bar on our behalf.
The response was apologetic and the reason given was that if a bottle was opened there was no certainty that the rest would be consumed! Isn't that true of any bar/restaurant with champagne and wine?
My wife had a lamb dish which was good, I ordered a waldorf salad - well I was a little shocked when it arrived. It was 98% apple (two kinds) a grating of walnut, tiny slices of celery and a drizzle of mayonaisse. The walnut tasted sweet like a breakfast cereal - I had saved some fetta cheese from my starter and this made half of it palatable - but I had to stop half way through. Meanwhile on another table I overheard a man reject his waldorf salad saying it was just apple.
Again profuse apologies and an offer to choose another meal, which I declined. We were not charged for the salad and our desserts were on the house, but I would much have preferred a decent salad and no hassle. We also heard another table reject a chicken meal saying it was cold. So thats 3 out of about 9 tables that had a bad experience that night.
So I would just say keep your expectations low and hopefully you will be pleasently surprised as our experience did not match the surroundings or our expectations.
For the record the breakfast the next day in the same restaurant was very good!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony S
Thank you for your comments regarding the Hotel Facilities. My sincere apology for the level of attention to detail afforded to you in our restaurant. Please be assured that your comments have been acted upon and re-training given to ensure this does not re-occur. Regards General Manager Debbie Priestley
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I booked a spa day here as a birthday treat for a friend but when we got there I was frankly embarrassed by the choice I'd made. The website looks great but the spa is in the golf club and not the beautiful old hall in all the publicity material. The overall feel is of a municipal leisure centre (or a public golf club) not a relaxing spa. The lunch / reception area was really dirty, I had to ask for the floor and tables to be cleaned, which the solo staff member did pronto but why leave it that way? There was also a pervasive (and unpleasant) fried food smell all day. The treatments were all fine and the staff were helpful (if not exactly proactive) but the spa rooms are tired and grubby. The pool is nice but the tiles surrounding it are lethal - like a skating ring once wet - doh! We were also visited by a line of ants in between our poolside loungers. As a spa it just doesn't work and I won't be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maeve J
Thank you for posting your comments on the Trip Advisor website. However I was disappointed to read them. I would like to apologise for the disappointment that you experienced. Our aim is to offer high standards throughout our resort. We constantly review feedback and adjust our services accordingly, please, be assured that your review has been discussed with the team. And where appropriate, training will be undertaken. We hope to see you again. Regards C Dutton General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I chose this place for the photos of the grounds- my boyfriend and I wanted some peace and escape after a very stressful time- and after driving up the long pot hole-ridden driveway, we had a pleasant check-in. The room was small and out-dated but we thought the setting more than made up for it. The first night we asked about nearby pubs, to be told there was one a mile away which wad walkable. We started walking and walking down the drive, the path and lights ran out and soon found ourselves in pitch darkness. Fortunately one of the gym members drove past and offered to take us to the pub which was about a 2.5 miles away. We had to get a taxi back which cost £10, so I wouldn't recommend the advice of the receptionist on a cold winter's night!
Oddly, we found a plate of cheese on a radiator which stayed there for about 36 hours (we even told the receptionist about this, who replied 'I'll have this removed for you' like it was an inconvenience to us!) There were also dirty glasses perched around the hallways which didn't get removed. The room was noisy- clunking radiators and a constant loud buzzing noise. After the second night we asked to be moved, and the receptionist seemed to know what I was going to complain about before I said it! We were moved but offered no upgrade or financial recompense or even asked how our stay was when we checked out; I felt we were rushed out before we had a chance to complain! Fawlty Towers on a large, grand scale.
The location is good for Oxford and Blenheim Palace but I suspect you would find much better for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Shinyredshoes79
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the Hotel and the Facilities. My sincere apology for the level of attention to detail afforded to you in our Hotel. Please be assured that your comments have been acted upon and re-training given to ensure this does not re-occur. Regards General Manager
Solihull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful setting and great for the outdoors with a fab spa. The initial expectations are dashed by the odd student style rooms we were assigned initially. Moving to a room in the main house was a wholly different experience. I would not recommend the wing rooms at all. The staff were really friendly and helpful and could not do enough for us. It is a shame that the interior is looking tired because the property really could have the wow factor.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the main house where rooms have names not numbers.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Many thanks for your review. We are very fortunate to have owners who continue to invest in improving the hotel. The challenge we have is prioritising where to spend this money as with such a vast building and grounds, the money never seems to go as far as you want it to!!
We take great pride in making sure that all our customers have an enjoyable and a relaxing time. The team look forward to seeing you again. Regards Chris Dutton General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,620 reviews

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!