“Expected more”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Preston, United Kingdom
“Expected more”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

A stunning building from the exterior with fantastic grounds. The drive from the main road is over two miles from the hotel so don't think of strolling out to the village pub, it's too far, but it filled me with anticipation on the drive in. Check in was very easy and straight forward and went to my room. I have to say it is one of the worst rooms I've stayed in since my younger budget days. It was clean as was the bathroom but horrible. Not a single picture, the electrical testing was way out of date which made me think they these must be overspill rooms. The view looked onto what I can only think were staff quarters and what a tip they looked.
Didn't want to hang around for breakfast the following morning I was so disappointed. If anyone should ever decide to stay here do not, repeat do not saty in the Shrewsbury rooms. Horrible and not good enough for a De Vere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Shrewsbury rooms. Awful, awful, awful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your time with us.
Having recently become a De Vere Venues property, the hotel is going through a major refurbishment of which the bedrooms are included.
I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments for investigation.
Once again, please accept our apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've read such varying reports on Heythrop Park. Our experience was very good. The room was spacious and well appointed. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We arrived very early, landed Heathrow at 5:30am and drove straight to the resort. Naturally the rooms weren't ready, but the staff directed us to the showers at he golf club where we could freshen up. The Manor house and grounds are beautiful. I would recommend dinner at the Crown in Enstone, what a great English Pub. Some reviewers have commented that the Resort is hard to find, in Australia the Heythrop was called the Crowne Plaza Resort, but look for signs for Heythrop Park Resort and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.
You are correct, there are two hotels on the Resort, De Vere Venues Heythrop Park Hotel and the Crowne Plaza Hotel - we are currently reviewing signage to accommodate these two separate properties.
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here with friends, sun sept 29th till tues 1st oct 2013. Hotel and grounds were lovely. When we arrived there was vintage car rally which was a bonus. As the setting was wonderfull on a nice sunny day. The bedrooms were very small but clean there was work going on but I can't say it interfered with us. The staff were very helfull we did see a manager who said it was not up to de vere standard as yet hence the builders. The breakfast was excellent, and very good value, all staff we came intouch with were very helpful. The only thing we found that we did not like was the set out in the bedroom, the hanging space for clothes should be put right in the corner by the windows, as in such a small space you have to mind your head when walking past the end of the bed the corner is very pointed and hurts. Other than that we had a good time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are pleased that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.
Please come back and see us when the full refurbishment is complete at the end of the year!
Bedfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I don't usually write reviews, but I wanted to warn others about this awful place. On arrival I was blown away by the magnificent building. We were booking in with 4 friends as part of a Masonic weekend. OMG looks are so deceptive, firstly we couldn't get parked as all spaces were taken by the decorators. Check in...well what can I say, they were rude ignorant & treated us like we shouldn't be there wasting their time. There were 4 members of staff doing check ins, who at first ignored us, then only one started checking us in, half way through checking my friend in they started checking me in ignoring my friend. we checked in & were booked into Shrewsbury wing, we were not advised that there were no lifts or asked if we could manage stairs, my Husband is waiting for a knee replacement so finds stairs difficult, there was nobody to carry our bags or any offer of help. Well as we were attempting the stairs a member of staff appeared who did not offer any help we had to ask him for help. When we complained to him he said " there are only a few stairs" when in fact it was 2 flights!! Then we arrived at our room, what a shock that was. It was small tatty, old dirty, the bed was awful, I would have been more comfy sleeping on a board. There was the smallest wardrobe I have ever seen, the hanging space was not long enough for trousers let alone an evening dress, there were no drawers or anywhere to sit & do your hair, then we swathe bathroom well that nearly sent me over the edge, it was smelly dirty & mouldy. Basic student accommodation is like a 5 star hotel compared to this room. We made a very hasty retreat back to reception to ask to see the manager. The male receptionist rang & spoke to somebody in a foreign language which I found very rude as I didn't know what he was saying. The first thing we asked the manager was " Do you think the room they gave us was of an acceptable standard for a De Vere hotel" to which he replied "No" so that just about sums this place up in one word Awful!!! We were then offered rooms in the Crowne Plaza next door at an expensive additional cost to us which we feel we shouldn't have had to pay but it was pay or stay in this dreadful hotel. The Crowne Plaza was everything we expected the De Vere hotel to be sheer luxury. Take my advise & stay away from De Vere Haythrop Park...

Room Tip: Stay in the Crowne Plaza next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 123Kazb
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
May I take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you experienced during your time with us. Your feedback has been sent directly to the departments in question for full investigation and where necessary implement training.

The hotel has very recently become a De Vere Venues property and is going through a large refurbishment of which the bedrooms are included. This work is due for completion at the beginning of 2014.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I only stayed here 1 night after discovering it by accident. The manor house is gorgeous, and the grounds & views amazing! Our room was really basic, more like a dorm room, but it was clean and comfortable and inexpensive which was all we wanted after a day of traveling & sight seeing. And the next day we explored before going on our way. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend it!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at Heythrope Manor and Spa over the weekend of 27-29 September 2013. The Crown Plaza is joined to the De Vere Manor and Spa. We decided we would book to eat in the Brassey Restaurant on the evening of Saturday 28 September. At the reception we attempted to book a table for 8.00pm only to be told there were no tables available, we tried for 7.30pm only to be met with the same response. We were finally offered either 7.00pm or 9.00pm. Reluctantly we opted for 7.00pm, noting that if they were so busy it must be a decent restaurant, we were wrong! On arrival we noted there were only about 10 diners in a restaurant that must have around 150 covers. The food was of a very poor standard. The Thai fish/crab cakes were clearly from a catering pack and I wouldn't be surprised if they went straight from the freezer to the deep fat fryer. The waiting staff stated the chefs recommendation was the Piri Piri chicken, unfortunately when it came it was as dry as a house brick. However, as the clock hit 7.30pm, a time we were told had no tables available there was the grand total of 17 people in the restaurant, at 8.00pm a group did arrive but the restaurant remained 2/3rd empty. Just to emphasise the appalling service when my wife asked a member of staff where the toilet was the reply was "no idea".

I did remark to the duty manager about our experience but needless to say we had no feedback, such disdain for the customer appears the norm.

So we have poor service, poor food, and a terrible level of respect for the customer. My advice is steer clear of this appalling place and get a cab into Chipping Norton for some decent customer service and good food.

Sent from my iPad

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank LondonersLondon
Thank you for your review. I have noticed that you have placed the review on both De Vere Venues Heythrop Park and Crowne Plaza pages. As your feedback relates to the Crowne Plaza, I have responded directly against that post.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.
cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We read a selection of reviews when booking our weekend to Heythrop and I have to say we were a little anxious about our choice of accommodation. Due to family circumstances it was really important for us to have a stress free time away from home. The long driveway is impressive but when we saw the house we were absolutely stunned by the beauty of it and the surroundings. We stayed in room 223 which is one of the small rooms linked to the house. I have to say that, yes it is very small and there isn't a lot of space to put your belongings but wow! the view from the window makes it worth any inconvenience. The room was clean and served the purpose. In our case all staff were polite and helpful, particularly the manager that was on duty during Saturday night to Sunday morning. There was a problem with the key cards and we couldn't open our door, everytime we needed to go to our room, he would come with us and use the master key, always chatty and smiling. I supposed we could have demanded a move to another room but we liked our view to much. We were able to use the facililities and enjoyed a swim in the pool on Saturday evening. The pool is small and shallow but still has a feeling of luxury. The breakfasts were superb with plenty of choice and delicious food. The waiting staff efficient and non intrusive, The hotel in having a major revamp so there is work going on but again nothing that bothered us. On Sunday morning we enjoyed a walk around the extensive grounds. It is a particularly quiet and relaxing place to stay in the most beautiful scenery. If you are willing to put up with an adequate but small room you won't be disappointed. The house is stunning and well worth a look. We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kernow52
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We are always pleased to hear that guests had a great time.
We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,640 reviews
Falkland Arms
Falkland Arms
#1 of 7 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!