“What Booking?”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Godalming, United Kingdom
“What Booking?”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Booked one of the 17 main house bedrooms through Booking.com. On arrival our booking did not exist in their system apparently and the 17 bedrooms were all booked. Duty manager found us the "last room" in the Crowne Plaza for the same price - one I would never have booked at £170 for a tiny, all be it clean and modern box room. But at 4.30pm on a Saturday with the Blenheim horse trials on, I had little option.
There was a wedding on so one of the dining rooms was out of use, couldn't eat in the hotel restaurant until 9.30pm so had bar snacks instead. Bar badly run, took a manger to come down and sort things out; didn't appear that anyone behind the bar had ever done bar work before on a Saturday night with the hotels full....
Breakfast grossly over priced at £20 a head for a very average buffet.
Finally find the room charge deducted AGAIN over 2 weeks after checking out!
So what should have been a nice room in a stately home followed by a good meal in a restaurant, turned into a night in a tiny modern box, bar snacks, and then double charged for the pleasure of it all!!!
Wouldn't touch again with a bargepole.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew H
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you experienced problems during your stay with us.
I have passed your comments on to the Reservations Team for further investigation as to why your booking was not recieved from Booking.com to avoid any future problems.
Once again, please accept our apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was told this was one of the best hotels in the area and as I drove up the long winding drive through dense trees I was certainly expecting great things.

The carpark signs are not that obvious and sadly the carpark is a goo 500 yards from the entrance. Not something I'd usually note, but it was chucking it down with rain, and I was soaked by the time I got to the door.

The lady on reception was very helpful, polite and efficient - however, there were a couple of guys also on reception (possibly Eastern European) who were a trifle rude and more interested in chatting between themselves.

The room I stayed in was tiny, at best, although the bed was comfortable and the addition of aromatherapy 'freebies' was a nice touch. It still felt claustrophobic.

There seemed to be nowhere in or around the hotel that you could get a mobile phone signal - this was most definitely not a great aspect.

The hotel bar lacked atmosphere but the food was OK.

The walk from my room to the Health Spa almost stopped me using the spa as it was at the other end of the complex and you had to walk outside. Not ideal in rain.

I doubt I will stay here again as it is not one of the best hotels in the area by a long way.

Up your game Heythrop or adjust your pricing,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
All feedback from guests is passed on to the Management Team for discussion and we will ensure your comments are addressed.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had the misfortune to stay at Heythrop recently. My wife and I were attending a weekend function, one which we had both been looking forward to for quite some time. Following a 4 hour journey we arrived at Heythrop anticipating a lovely chilled weekend - wrong!! On arrival at reception (4 members of staff present) it appeared to be disorganised chaos, the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. Eventually we had the attention of one of the female members of staff who did deal with us efficiently. We were given our keys and directed to our room in the Shrewsbury block and on hindsight at this point we should have just got back in the car and driven for another 4 hours in the direction of home!!! If it had not been for the prospect of missing out on catching up with some good friends then i'm sure we would have. We struggled with suitcase, holdall, suit carrier & dress carrier up the 2 flights of stairs (no lifts, no offer of help) to arrive at our "cell". Initial impressions on entering the block were that of utmost disappointment after viewing the period splendour of the main house, the disappointment multiplied immensely when we opened the door. We had booked a double room but were presented with a very small twin room. we couldn't both stand up at the same time as there was no room. The room was appalling (understatement!)it was tatty, extremely small, no storage, wardrobe suitable for children (certainly not evening dresses!) and the bathroom was equally as shabby, in fact the shower cubicle was so small unless you are a very petite person you would be unable to raise both arms to wash your hair at the same time - compact~yes, bijoux~no!! My wife was really upset and annoyed at the level of accommodation and promptly set of to reception to request another room (unable to ring reception as there is no information in any of the rooms regarding contact numbers, dining times check in/out, basic info). We she arrived at reception she was dealt with by a man (I fail to call him a gentleman as they have manners!) and told him of the issues and requested a replacement room to which she was told "I can get the house keeper to push the beds together for you to make a double" an offer my wife declined and again requested a different room to which she was then told "They are all like that", to which she replied ~ basically take it or leave it? and was told "Yes"!!! Well, my wife is normally a very placid person, however once upset the red mist starts to descend, something very evident on her return to the "Cell". I listened to her encounter at reception and promptly set of to see if I would have more joy. I spoke to a very pleasant young lady who was most apologetic for the way my wife had been treated by her colleague (who was still on the desk with her and said nothing) and I asked if there was any other alternative to rooms i.e. an upgrade to the main house (which I was willing to pay for in an endeavour to salvage what was turning into a disaster of a weekend) and I was told that was possible. My wife and I inspected the room - Longview - which was situated upstairs in the main building, what a difference, the bathroom was twice the size of the original room we had been allocated! So after re-negotiating the stairs in Shrewsbury and the n more stairs in the main house (still no offer of help) we moved rooms. The view was amazing as was the space of the room and the weekend appeared to be back on track - but not for long! As my wife set about unpacking bags there was a knock at the door. I opened it to be greeted by a couple claiming that we were in there room (wifes' red mist is re-appearing!). Both my self and the other husband went to reception to sort out the issue. Whilst there the organiser of our weekend appeared and informed us that we were indeed not supposed to be in that room as he had booked the upper landing rooms for his family/friends, to which the receptionist told him they would not move us as we had just been upgraded. Well, this went on too-ing & fro-ing for over half an hour, both myself and the other gentleman just wanted a room and if another was available of the same/similar standard we didn't mind who went where. Eventually another room was offered (in the basement) and we agreed to move again (still no help with luggage). Can't remember the name of 3rd room but it was fine, bit dated but very roomy and plenty of wardrobe space. We went for dinner in the terrace restaurant that evening and had a set menu (chosen by the organiser) which no one knew what was on the menu until we arrived for dinner. The main course was a fish dish and my wife does not eat fish. When the young waiter brought the starter my wife asked if she might have an alternative to the fish and was told it would not be a problem they would sort it out when they brought the main course out - they didn't!! The main course was plonked on the table and when my wife asked for something else she was told that she" should've pre-ordered it, but i'l ask chef if there is something else" by the (older,rudder waiter) only for him to return and be told there is nothing else, at this point my wife was close to tears and I think had we not been in the company of friends she would've left. Some 20 minutes later a plate was dumped in front of her and when she asked what it was she was told " your dinner"! It was grilled/roasted veg -not worthy of putting on a plate. Fearing a repeat the next night we later asked a waitress what was on the menu the following evening for the gala dinner we were attending - we still don't know what she tried to tell us & the same lady brought us a jug of hot milk instead of the cream we requested for our coffee - not her fault but English wasn't her 1st language and it was obviously a barrier, but her manners and customer service were impeccable, other staff need to take a leaf out of her book, including the rude waiter that tipped Balsamic dressing over my trousers and then dropped cutlery down my back with no apology either time. Well the rest of the weekend was much of a muchness, only made bearable by the fantastic company of great friends that we shared. On checking out, we waited in anticipation for our bill and upgrade charge - this was the best bit - they did not charge for the upgrade due to the upset and misunderstanding/mix up with rooms - and rightly so that they didn't charge us! Whilst we were grateful for the generosity it was a relief to be getting in the car to come home! Can honestly say it was the worst hotel experience we have ever had (and we have stayed in many and of different ratings) and I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anybody, which is a shame as the grounds and setting are absolutely stunning. I appreciate that there is refurbishment going on but other than knock 2 rooms into 1 in the annexes to make half decent sized rooms I don't think that a new bit of carpet and lick of paint will make much difference. (Didn't use spa/ leisure facilities so can't comment)

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TaffyDaft

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a beautiful Country House Hotel. The grounds are lovely and the bedroom was spacious. I have stayed here before but visited recently on a conference, unfortunately the day we were there they had a power cut so some of the facilities were not in use etc. Never the less it was lovely to go back to this beautiful Hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a bedroom in the Main House if you can.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for you recent review of your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A stunning building from the exterior with fantastic grounds. The drive from the main road is over two miles from the hotel so don't think of strolling out to the village pub, it's too far, but it filled me with anticipation on the drive in. Check in was very easy and straight forward and went to my room. I have to say it is one of the worst rooms I've stayed in since my younger budget days. It was clean as was the bathroom but horrible. Not a single picture, the electrical testing was way out of date which made me think they these must be overspill rooms. The view looked onto what I can only think were staff quarters and what a tip they looked.
Didn't want to hang around for breakfast the following morning I was so disappointed. If anyone should ever decide to stay here do not, repeat do not saty in the Shrewsbury rooms. Horrible and not good enough for a De Vere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Shrewsbury rooms. Awful, awful, awful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your time with us.
Having recently become a De Vere Venues property, the hotel is going through a major refurbishment of which the bedrooms are included.
I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments for investigation.
Once again, please accept our apologies.
Victoria
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've read such varying reports on Heythrop Park. Our experience was very good. The room was spacious and well appointed. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We arrived very early, landed Heathrow at 5:30am and drove straight to the resort. Naturally the rooms weren't ready, but the staff directed us to the showers at he golf club where we could freshen up. The Manor house and grounds are beautiful. I would recommend dinner at the Crown in Enstone, what a great English Pub. Some reviewers have commented that the Resort is hard to find, in Australia the Heythrop was called the Crowne Plaza Resort, but look for signs for Heythrop Park Resort and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.
You are correct, there are two hotels on the Resort, De Vere Venues Heythrop Park Hotel and the Crowne Plaza Hotel - we are currently reviewing signage to accommodate these two separate properties.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here with friends, sun sept 29th till tues 1st oct 2013. Hotel and grounds were lovely. When we arrived there was vintage car rally which was a bonus. As the setting was wonderfull on a nice sunny day. The bedrooms were very small but clean there was work going on but I can't say it interfered with us. The staff were very helfull we did see a manager who said it was not up to de vere standard as yet hence the builders. The breakfast was excellent, and very good value, all staff we came intouch with were very helpful. The only thing we found that we did not like was the set out in the bedroom, the hanging space for clothes should be put right in the corner by the windows, as in such a small space you have to mind your head when walking past the end of the bed the corner is very pointed and hurts. Other than that we had a good time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are pleased that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.
Please come back and see us when the full refurbishment is complete at the end of the year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
#4 of 7 in Witney
The Falkland Arms
The Falkland Arms
#1 of 1 in Great Tew

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!