“Fantastic, relaxing break with the children!”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, relaxing break with the children!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Heythrop Park. The grounds of the hotel are amazing and you are greeted with a stunning view as you drive upto the main reception. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and gave us detailed information about what was on offer at the hotel and within the grounds. The food was great , the 3 course evening meal was stunning! One member of the breakfast staff made my 4 year olds day , when she gave him on his 4th birthday a celebration cheesecake, it was a lovely personal touch. The bedroom we stayed in was in the Archer Wing and was huge for a family of four. The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom and had a wonderful wet room and very relaxing bath with all the designer fittings.

The swimming pool and gym were fab, both of our children loved swimming in the pool. All in all a great few days.

Room Tip: As for a room in the Archer Wing!
2 Thank SarahGeog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Visited here in Feb of this year and had a lovely time. Spent most of our time in the hotel and walking around the grounds.... very pleasant, had lovely spacious room - brill.
We decided to take my partners disabled mother here to stay two for days over the Easter weekend to give her a break.
However,she ended up in really small room with hardly any space to put her luggage. It was clean, I admit, but not satisfactory for a disabled lady. Our room was a twin room, but should have been only sold as a single as no space at all. I am only small and weigh eight stone but could hardly fit into the chair at at the bottom of my bed to the dressing table and see the TV. My partner could not even see the TV as it was not in vision,
No ironing board, no hair dryer!!! Not impressed at all. Had to call reception for ironing board and iron!!

I accept the place was busy but on checking out had to wait half an hour in reception because of there so many people arriving/leaving.

Restaurant menu quite mundane with limited choices so we ate out. Not good.

The surroundings are fantastic which did make up for the poor quality of our rooms but I feel reluctant now in recommending this venue agan.i

Breakfast (at £20 per head) is by far overpriced so I think you should look into this and re-consider what your guests are actually getting for their money.

I did intend inviting my family from Wales for a family re-union here in the summer but have now got second thoughts as you did not live up to our first experience .

It is a pity, as I gave you a first class review on my first visit which obviously you did not look at

Alison from Reading.
I

3 Thank alycat41

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The whole experience was stunning, from the long two mile approach up to the main hotel, the grounds are superb and the attention to detail was complete, on arrival the staff were warm friendly and considerate, the knowledge of the history of the building was an unexpected bonus, for info, the hotel was busy with a wedding taking place. The room for three was very clean and what we expected, there was a "proper" bed for our 10 year old whom remarked that she had her own bed for a change, we only stayed one night, sadly, but the evening meal was very good, the whole dining experience was courteous and relaxed, the only moan I would make would be the lack of effort of dress code for some of the guests, whereas I don't call myself a snob, I do think it appropriate not to wear tee shirts and trainers for an evening meal ! The pool facilities wrote clean and the staff again very polite and friendly, we explored the grounds and found the whole experience a real comforting and relaxing treat, I have even considered rekindling my golf to return again in a position to enjoy this too, I would like to congratulate the maître d from "Redditch" who has an inspired passion for his work, we do plan to return in the near future and I would highly recommend this as an excellent short break, thank you to the team at Heythorp,

Room Tip: Enjoy your room, ours was wonderful
1 Thank Andy J
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked through super breaks but they actually had a better deal on their website..it is a lovely hotel which is actually 2 hotels one being a more modern addition to the main house, so it has a really different mix of old and new. We stayed in the Archer wing which has been updated recently very modern if a bit bland. The real gem of this hotel is the staff, without exception they were all really friendly and efficient and all seemed to be enjoying their work. If you passed someone in the hall they smiled and said hello/good morning etc. Very happy atmosphere. Nothing too much trouble. Grounds are stunning... we ate in the main restaurant and the food was excellent. We also ate in the brassy bar for a fantastic club sandich. My husband had a steak sandwich but the steak was not great so we sent it back and the staff could not have apologised more and the replacement meal was excellent and they also gave us complementary drinks which was such great customer service! So I would definitely recommend this hotel and will return for another stay.

Room Tip: Archer rooms very nice, newly refubished but would loved to have stayed in the posh rooms in the mai...
2 Thank Liz L
Dorset
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lovely surroundings and the main building and grounds are very picturesque. We had a small twin room which was fine as we were only there one night to visit friends close by. Breakfast was not good, there was not enough staff to keep up with turn around of tables, fetch drinks and deal with enquiries etc. the hot food was in covered warming dishes but because there was so many people the lids were left off so food was cold! Scrambled eggs looked dry and over done, they ran out of fried eggs and I couldn't find anyone to ask for more so my food got even colder! Relatively speaking we didn't pay too much for our B&B but if I had paid the prices quoted on line or £20 pounds extra for breakfast (the price if not including at time of booking) I would have been extremely disappointed.
Wifi was a bit hit and miss.
We used the spa on the Sunday morning, the pool was nice and warm but very busy not relaxing at all, it was like a local pool in the school holidays. Children and adults leaping about playing and shouting! Not enough loungers. Sauna and steam room very nice. Shame there was no jacuzzi.

1 Thank MJW101
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My partner and I stayed Sat night for dinner and accomadation and breakfast , we had a room in the Shrewsbury wing ( the part non refurbished): room very nice, a bit small, the double bed is a small double bed, just a shame! And we wanted to try the pool, which we did, such a shame you need to go out from the hotel and walk 3 min ( the spa is in a separate building), but quite warm, nice and clean, and there are lockers and they provide towels.
The restaurant was perfect : buffet with a great selection of food and good ., breakfast nice with a good selection as well.
I didn't rate 5 stars , as you need to go out from the hotel, and you need to add a jacuzzi!!!!! PLEASE
LOVELY Grounds for nice walks....

Room Tip: the Archer wing: refurbished rooms and modern
1 Thank mariefranceMK
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Surly, unhelpful reception staff at check-in didn't put the weekend's stay in a favourable light, not at all welcoming and it deteriorated from there. There appeared to be no disabled parking and the room was so tiny, 2 people couldn't pass by and there was no room to sit in a chair at the dressing table at the foot of the bed. There was no dressing table mirror and room equipment did not work properly. The ordered morning paper failed to arrive. A double room was booked for 2 people (naturally) but there was only 1 flannel and 1 small piece of soap. This seems a tad short and mean somehow.

In the dining room, it was necessary to explain to the waitress what a fillet steak was, and to the wine waiter what a bottle of Rioja was - the food, when served was cold - oh and they got the bill wrong ( 3 times)! The spa and treatments were all fully booked all weekend so none was available for us. The breakfast buffet was poor too and it was a struggle to find waiter to obtain tea/coffee etc. It was a real headache.

This venue is not up to De Vere's standards. It lacks trained staff and rigorous management, the only saving grace being the grounds, which were superb and the only reason it's got a 2 rating rather than 1.

Room Tip: Lots of complaints about the tiny room sizes, so suggest you request a large room if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Great Tew
Oxford Witney Hotel
Oxford Witney Hotel
#4 of 7 in Witney

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!