“Stunning building but look beyond it”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were very excited to see the hotel and the grandeur. We had a great deal so weren't expecting amazing things but were very disappointed. Our room was miles away from anything - along dark corridors, up stairs, round corners, down stairs, more long corridors. Even with the map we struggled. Once there we found a small room, one pillow each, damp stains on wall, poor bedroom furniture, squishy bed, rotten windows, tiny shower, poor soundproofing and more. Despite the beautiful location, I feel that they could do much much better. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Not the Shrewsbury wing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear biseyb

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your recent visit to Heythrop Park.

I am most sorry to read that you were disappointed with your visit to Heythrop Park. Had we been made aware at the time that you were unhappy with your room we could certainly have looked to see if there were any of our refurbished Archer wing rooms available or indeed the Mansion House.

The rooms in the Shrewsbury wing are good value for money especially as they also include full use of the leisure facilities, the wonderful 400+ acres of grounds and the splendiour of the Mansion House to relax in.

Of course I fully appreciate your valued feedback and your concerns have been duly noted.

I do hope that you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again and perhaps stay in one of the Archer bedrooms. Please feel free to contact our reservations department directly and they will gladly discuss your reservation requirements to ensure that you enjoy your stay.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were lucky to spend several times at Heythrop Park. Every stay was just perfect, btw we did not come to play golf. We stayed in the DeVere hotel. We stayed one week in a double room in the Archer wing. A very comfy room with all facilities. The only thing I did not like was that the windows did not open. Otherwise perfectly comfy. Then we stayed a few weeks later in the Shrewsbury wing (the less expensive rooms). The room was 3 times smaller than the previous one, but the windows could open which was nice. Unfortunately the bed was not very comfy, it was small. However I was ok with it as I can adapt easily. However since my partner had really slept badly he asked for another room and we were given a suite in the main building! A wonderful enormous suite with huge bathroom overlooking the terrace and front gardens. That was a lovely treat and so sweet of the young lady at reception. The breakfast staff also were particularly helpful and friendly. The staff at the health club also. I used the pool every day, wonderful wonderful pool, I was lucky that I often was the only one there, and I also used the steam room and the sauna each time. I walked the grounds each day and had a lovely high tea which the chef prepared specially to my vegetarian taste. I have nothing but compliments for this wonderful hotel and also want to thank housekeeping since the girls were lovely. Thank you Heythrop we will return !

Room Tip: choose Archer over Shrewsbury
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Udaya c

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your wonferful stay at Heythrop Park.

I am delighted that you thoroughlly enjoyed your stay and that on both visits you were looked after by the wonderful team. Your kind feedback has been passed on to the Managers and departments.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Heythrop for another lovely stay in the near future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently stayed at Heythrop park as a delegate of a sales conference. The facilities were great in the Crowne Plaza which is attached to the beautiful manor house. The Crowne Plaza is very tastefully decorated throughout, however the standard room was incredibly small with the tiniest of windows which made the room feel so very closed in and honestly completely spoiled the ambience. On the positive the bed was really comfortable as were the pillows. The Manor house is stunning, the grounds are amazing with so much to do I would love to return only next time I will be more careful over my room choice. All in all the best sales conference we've had.............

Room Tip: Check when you book there isn't a conference or a wedding as there will many areas of both hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear cmn1

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Heythrop Park for a conference.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel and facilities and atmosphere to be very comfortable.

I duly note your comments regarding the bedroom and for your future stay, we do have a selection of different room types and sizes to choose from. Please feel free to contact our Reservations department direct and they will ensure that your needs are carefully taken on board.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Heythrop Park in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Arriving at the hotel is impressive, driving up a long drive through the park and past the golf course you arrive at the front of a large country house with a gated driveway. Checking in took some time as the reception is located in a small room just inside the front door. We had to queue as there is very little space inside this meant waiting by the front door.We were allocated our room which was very small in fact I thought it must be a single with twin beds as there was only 1 reading light over one bed. storage space was 3 small shelves in small desk plus one at head height with a short rail under to accommodate 6 hangers. The bathroom matched the room being small with a shower unit just large enough to get in and turn around. The room décor was bad with water stains down the wall over the bed and the wall paper hanging off in one place while it was just peeling away in the opposite corner. Breakfast was quite good but over priced at £19.50 per person. Not a great experience but to some extent the location made it much better.

Room Tip: Dont book Shrewsbury wing as even the manager says the rooms are small.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is beautiful in parkland if you ignore the odd 70s accommodation block. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately the first room overlooked the bins and service area and smelt of them after asking to be moved the second was just large enough for 2.
We had the worst night sleep we have ever had in a hotel because the room was hot, really hot and the open window let in slightly less noise than the guests coming back from the bar late. Also the wardrobe had one sliding door which wherever put meant that the movement sensitive lights in the wardrobe went on as soon as someone moved. The other issue was water coming up through the floor in the bathroom.
The whole hotel feels like it is a perfect location spoiled by half a job done in doing it up and with more effort it could be lovely.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is an amazing building. A listed building with great

The food was buffet style. Unfortunately the food was not very hot.

The room I was in was basic but clean.

The room was very warm with no air conditioning.

Being on the ground floor I was unable to leave it open.

Not the best nights sleep I have had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a beautiful venue. Hard to find from satnav directions, if you head for Church Enstone, it's very well signposted. It's quite a way up a long winding road.plenty of free car parking. No lifts, so if you have lots of luggage it's hard work. Check in good, lots of friendly dialogue. I was offered help to my room 212 a single room. Big enough, quiet and a window that opened and provided a lovely breeze, I stayed 2 nights and the weather was lovely. Room soon will be ready for a bit of TLC but served its purpose. Had a shower which was nice but my preference is a bath, I booked late, a single was all that was left that was affordable, I was here to support a conference.room and Bed clean and comfy but if I could suggest anything a fitted bottom sheet would have been better for me as I'm a fidget. I Had breakfast, snack lunch and evening meal, all really nicely presented, excellent quality and a lovely meals. Staff throughout the venue very pleasant and helpful. The grounds are out of this world, had a relaxing stroll around the grounds, not to be missed weather permitting. A really nice stay thank you

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 6 in Woodstock
Crown and Cushion Hotel
Crown and Cushion Hotel
#5 of 5 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!