“fabulous”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had an amazing couple of nights here with two children. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room (Papillon in the mansion house) was gorgeous with fantastic views all round from the huge windows (even from the loo!) the grounds are beautiful and we went on the two mile walk. The kids enjoyed playing games on the lawn, but their favourite thing was swimming. I enjoyed the steam room and sauna. We all enjoyed dinner and breakfast. There was a lovely fire in the entrance hall in the evening and a nice bar and billiards room. What a lovely find. They link to the crown plaza next door and you can take the kids there to watch a film in one of the conference rooms they give pop corn and juice. I imagine the poor reviews are due to people booking the standard rooms and feeling a bit fed up they were not in one of the mansion house rooms! We bought the kids scooters with us and they liked scooting along the small roads around the grounds. Be prepared to pay, it is expensive, but is was worth it. You only live once.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the mansion house.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a room last minute for wedding reception. Hotel set in beautiful grounds. Paid £75 for a twin room without breakfast. room was cramped and uncomfortable and extremely basic. The inside certainly doesn't match the grandness of the outside and reception area.

• Stayed: August 2014
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. The hotel has just finished its first phase of renovation in the Archer wing. Currently Shrewsbury wing has not yet been refurbished and both these wings are sold at different price points to ensure that our guests get good value.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a 'standard' room. Standard if you are in student digs maybe. The rooms we had looked nothing like the standard rooms on the photos. Couldn't see the tv from the bed. No wardrobe. No drawers. Sash window open at top on arrival... Had to stand on chair and shove it up so that it shut. We joked that rooms looked like an asylum. Bare cream walls, my carpet had what looked like spilt ink on it! Worst still on arrival they took swipe of card authorised up to £50 for extras. They actually then took the WHOLE room payment prior to us checking out and before we could confirm it was ok! Then I checked my bank statement and they had 'accidentally' taken payment for my room TWICE! I phoned the manager who told me 'not to stress' and that they had now credited the extra money they took. However this would take five working days to go into my account! So they have effectively removed money from my account without my authorisation!
The Shrewsbury wing where the room was was worn and noisy. Doors banging late at night and early morning. Staff trying to get in early to clean. No extra bedding/ throws if cold just a single thin duvet.
VERY disappointed for a DeVere. Just because we went via a booking site doesn't mean you should be treated like a third rate guest.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Rosiesmum_11

Dear Sir/Madam,

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. Three rooms were booked with the same card details and transaction was made for one of those rooms and the error was refunded immediately.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

stayed on 15/08/14 lovely room great food and friendly staff, what more do you need. Book for Brassey restaurant or you be left with terrace only, as the other is more popular. We read some bad reviews before going and found these were unfounded, so our conclusion is they must be grumpy gits.

Room Tip: stay in main house or archer wing
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here after a wedding. The wedding was in a different venue so I had to check in at 1am (I called beforehand to check this would be ok and to confirm a twin room)

When I arrived in my room in the early hours I found a single bed instead of a twin (the room cost £75 with breakfast). I was extremely disappointed and because it was so late at night I was told nothing could be done.

Not good enough for two people! It was hot, tiny and cramped!

In the morning I spoke with the receptionist who told me my room number had twin room next to it on there system.. I was only refunded half my money. I thought this was a terrible excuse. There were a lot of people complaining. I also had a friend who had a tiny double with no room to move! (this was after she was given a room with 3 single beds!) She managed to sort this as she was arriving at the wedding for evening only.

On the up side the reception area and bars are gorgeous and the location is lovely. Breakfast was also very nice.

However I would not trust this place again as staff don't seem to know what is going on.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Tishtashloo
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. If you could please contact the hotel direct at info@heythroppark.co.uk we would like to discuss your stay and resolve the issues faced.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused .

Kaushik

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an over night mid week golf break @ Weythrop staying @ the Crown plaza . Wasn't expecting much having read a lot of reviews rubbishing the place. Have to say We could not fault a single thing. Staff were all very pleasant & professional. Breakfast & dinner were both very tasty. Our rooms were great with super comfy beds .

The golf course was in wonderful condition, on day 1 we saw no other golfers. Be warned it's a long old track + long distance between greens & tee boxes .buggy may be a good plan though quite expensive @ £30

After dinner we used the Crown pub in the village (turn left out of weythrop ,400 yds on left) which I would also highly recommend if you fancy some real ale. That said the hotel did have Doom on tap also.

For the price we paid through golf breaks our stay was excellent value for money.

Enjoy

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Sir,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having stayed in several De Vere venue hotels, they seem to be similar in old premises converted to meeting venues with rooms, most in need of refurb, this seems to be no different.
Fantastic grounds and setting, but the accommodation looks dated and so are the rooms.
We were greeted by a cheery receptionist who gave a full and concise explanation of the hotel amenities and how to find our room, we were in the Shrewsbury rooms, which were adequate, but in need of an upgrade, I'm pleased it was summer wouldn't want to be in the room in winter with the wind blowing through the old sash windows.
The bed did nothing but squeak every time we moved in it and wasn't the most comfortable I had slept in.
We had breakfast in our package, the selection of food available was great, but why are there no warm plates as some of the food in the food warmers was only just hot, barely warm bacon and sausage are not the most appetising. The crown plaza looks more inviting.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. We have noted the issues raised by you in regards to cold plates and we will take corrective action.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Crown and Cushion Hotel
Crown and Cushion Hotel
#5 of 5 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!