“Dont bother, go elsewhere”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Dont bother, go elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

A family get together to celebrate a birthday, 15 people booked in for xmas party and one nights bed and breakfast. We arrived at 2pm and eventually all checked in, we ordered coffee and waited,waited and waited, about and hour later it turned up, i think the staff haven't worked out how to use both hands at the same time. The rooms are so so for a night. The food at the xmas party wasn't the best and the service again was very poor, at one point we complained to the what seemed to be the manageress, who totally ignored the complaint and carried on doing what she was doing, which was so ignorant. Again like so many reviews on here about this shabby hotel the breakfast was an experience, it wasn't until another guest pointed out that there was food in a separate area, the staff were useless we had coffee in tea pots and tea in a coffee pot and they certainly cant clear away plates, The hotel could do with an upgrade all around but the main thing they should do is get rid of all the staff and employ local people who want to work and not free load on our countries generosity.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Long Itchington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Do not book at his farcical establishment.
Where do I start. I booked on line to celebrate my wifes 40th birthday. I phoned twice in advance of booking to confirm the room was "directly above the restaurant" to ensure our monitor would operate to allow our children to enjoy the celebration.
Whe we arrived we were shown to a shoddy room as far from the retaurant as was humanly possible and of course the modern and powerful monitor did not work. Based on this the staff did nothing to assist us with an alternative room. Few spoke any servicable English in fact. One that did confirmed that she was "sorry" and that we were able to cancel the booking electronically to obtain a refund. My wife (in tears) along with two very sad infants drove 40 miles home.
Since then the hotel has retained my money. The Crown and Cushion have given us fake contact info to avoid my phone calls, They have accused my wife of lying about the conversations we had with their staff and have showed no customer focus whatsoever.
I personally don't believe you could discover a less customer focused establishment.

Room Tip: Any room other than at the Crown and Cushion
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon H

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

third time stayed in this hotel this year and as good as ever, great location in the centre of chipping norton, the food was of a high quality and plentyfull, probally the best hotel bar i have been in, good selection of everything, all the staff are friendly and the owner linda is always about keeping her eye on everything but always has time for a chat, will be back again next year
one of the 14 special guests with our own private xmas function

Room Tip: room 28 very nice
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank grommy2
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I travel for business on a weekly basis. I do not except 5* standards but I do expect clean, welcoming & warm.
This hotel was booked for me and colleagues (through our normally excellent business travel service). I have already complained to them and they will be reviewing if this hotel should still be on their booking service.
I could write pages on how damp, vaguely grubby, cold and generally unpleasant this hotel was but..I will just list the problems.
• Business booking through our business travel service - they do not take AMEX – and had omitted to mention this to our travel service. All our corporate cards are AMEX. I understand that some hotels don't take this card but they should have made us aware when we booked.
• Check in staff disinterested and unhelpful. I and three colleagues had been booked in together – I was banished to the “coach House” at the back of the hotel. Very dark walk from there back to the hotel. No offer of showing me to my room, just a vague hand wave in the direction of the car park.
• It is never a good sign when you are handed the remote for the TV with your room
key!
• My room was freezing. There was a radiator but the weak heat was only on for a
couple of hours. There was a fan heater (not working) so encrusted with dust and
dirt I was glad it was not working as it looked unsafe.
• The room was damp: bedding felt damp, duvet & pillows had no protectors on them
(and very thin & poor quality), I had to ask for another blanket and still had a poor
night’s sleep as I was so cold.
• Bathroom window was ill fitting – the curtain was a flimsy piece of net – no heat
retention.
• Large signs everywhere warning you about fines for smoking in the room. I am a
smoker but I fully respect (and adhere to) a non smoking policy, so I was a little
surprised to see what I assume was the manageress/owner standing in the hall of
the hotel with one foot out the door to the back yard smoking and vaguely waving
the smoke out the door.
• As unfortunately is common in the UK the staff seemed more concerned with talking
to their friends and each other ....when I went to reception to ask for another blanket
@ 5pm there was nobody around. Eventually someone appeared. Interestingly
enough no one asked why I felt I needed another blanket!
• Breakfast was OK but no explanation or signs telling you that the buffet / toast etc
was in fact in another room.
The hotel was not busy – I can see why and seems to rely on tourist who the “old world charm” means shabby, cold and poor service.
Don’t believe their website – yes the Wi-Fi is free but it is not available in the rooms (unless you were my colleague who happened to be staying in the room above the router). You have to try and connect in the “comfy lounge” as it is only available in the public areas. The “comfy lounge” is a small room reminiscent of a care home / nursery. We were staying on the 1st Dec and along with a dusty Christmas tree, there were mismatched chairs, a baby’s car seat, numerous dusty nick-nacks and what I think were some folding chairs stacked behind a couch. There was an open fire – not on.
While Chipping Norton is a nice village, handy for Oxford and the Cotswolds – there are much better (better value too) places to stay.
If you like a mix of 70’s decor (by way of a shabby old people’s home), 60’s service and lack lustre service – make a booking.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank traveller64Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Very enjoyable stay, Crown &Cushion Hotel itself is not spectacular or luxurious but three things have prompted me to give it an excellent rating: firstly the accommodation was good value for the money-the room 42 itself was four-poster bedroom with a large double bed very well decorated and spotless clean there was even tea and coffee in the room, secondly we were treated beyond our expectation, staff very friendly and helpful, the 2 receptionists very pleasant and the third thing lovely eating and drinking area bar staff was also excellent ,breakfast outstanding for choices, quality and quantity. Convenient car parking

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Hampshire UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

stayed at this hotel for 1 night as the company I work for booked it! Words really can't describe the experience me and my colleagues endured! We had 3 rooms. 1 smelt awful and had a dodgy carpet and no main light. 1 had no proper heating and smelt damp. I got the best room but the wardrobe Stank and the heating was either off so too cold or so hot the windows were dripping in condensation. Overall a complete waste of money and the only consolation is my employer will be reimbursing me. service at check in was dire. I am really surprised they have not gone out of business by now. Take my advice and save your money and don't book to stay here. I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Kazandrewalex
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. On check we had to find someone to check us in, this meant that we were not greeted with any pleasantries. We had to pay up front which entitled us to be given the TV remote control as they have a problem with guests stealing them! We were not shown to our room – we later realised why… we were put at the far end of the hotel where the heating had not been turned on for ages and our “Superior” room was damp cold and awful! Plus a note had been placed under the door prior to check in to advise that the water would be turned off between 7 – 11 the following morning. Spoke to the Manager (who had checked us in!!) to be told there was nothing they could do now but it probably wont happen as this happens all the time….There was something they could have done…told us on check in before taking our money or the day before so that we could have stayed someone else. I was told the General Manager would be coming on duty and that she would come and find us to talk too. This never happened even asking 3 times. We later found her sitting in the bar playing cards and eating crisps. There was no hairdryer in the room and after asking twice was questioned whether I had looked properly!

The sound proofing was terrible in the room; we could even hear our neighbours putting on the kettle which is situated nicely behind the large TV. Parking facilities are a joke as is the swimming pool!

The only saving grace was the Chef whose food was lovely.

We found out at around midnight that the water would not be turned off.

On check out we were not asked if we had a pleasant stay or a farewell.

Please read the reviews, this hotel makes Faulty Towers look good and being would not recommend it to anyone!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,791 reviews

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!