“New Year”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Bewdley
“New Year”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Brilliant New Year, 2nd time, great place friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
staffordshire
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I have just returned from a two day stay at this Hotel with my partner and I donot understand the reviews we have read? I might add, they were so damming, had I read them before I booked, I would have cancelled!!! We did not pay a fortune and I wondered, just what we were letting ourselves in for? However, we were more than satisfied and considered the experience very pleasant and good value for money. Our stay was very and comfortable indeed (even though I had a heavy cold) and had we more time, we would have chosen to stay another night over the New Year Holiday. The atmosphere at the hotel was homely and festive. We were greeted well on arrival and given all the information we needed. Bar and food prices were very reasonable and staff members delightful. Our room was clean, quiet and spacious. I asked for a particular dietry request when I booked our stay and found next morning, at breakfast, our table was reserved with the items I asked for on the table and at no extra charge (how unusual this day and age!) On New Years Eve, I wasn't well enough to attend the evening function and food was provided for me specially. I have stayed in many hotels in England and abroad , from 3 * - luxuary for business and pleasure and in my opinion, our stay was of good value and we hope to return to celebrate New Year 2013.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dollydancer
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

A parent celebrating her 80th birthday booked us all in to this hotel based on the brochure and internet details. It was absolutely dreadful. On arrival no pleasantries where exchanged - my husband had aksed for us to have a ground floor room as I am disabled and have mobility issues - we were given a vague set of directions to waht I lovingly called a "room for committing suicide in"!! 3 huge double height steps up to grotty bathroom - whole place and corridor smelt of damp - changed to another room on 1st floor - bedknob broken off, not enough towels & only two meagre sidelights lit the room! Freezing cold room, poor heating and breakfast next morning a total shambolic farce! Not enough placesto eat so had to loiter in disgusting "residents lounge" and when finally seated - no food left so had to wait! Check out involved us having a bill with random strangers name on it! Could not wait to leave and WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK THERE!

Room Tip: Do not bother - awful!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank louandadz

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

A family get together to celebrate a birthday, 15 people booked in for xmas party and one nights bed and breakfast. We arrived at 2pm and eventually all checked in, we ordered coffee and waited,waited and waited, about and hour later it turned up, i think the staff haven't worked out how to use both hands at the same time. The rooms are so so for a night. The food at the xmas party wasn't the best and the service again was very poor, at one point we complained to the what seemed to be the manageress, who totally ignored the complaint and carried on doing what she was doing, which was so ignorant. Again like so many reviews on here about this shabby hotel the breakfast was an experience, it wasn't until another guest pointed out that there was food in a separate area, the staff were useless we had coffee in tea pots and tea in a coffee pot and they certainly cant clear away plates, The hotel could do with an upgrade all around but the main thing they should do is get rid of all the staff and employ local people who want to work and not free load on our countries generosity.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Long Itchington
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Do not book at his farcical establishment.
Where do I start. I booked on line to celebrate my wifes 40th birthday. I phoned twice in advance of booking to confirm the room was "directly above the restaurant" to ensure our monitor would operate to allow our children to enjoy the celebration.
Whe we arrived we were shown to a shoddy room as far from the retaurant as was humanly possible and of course the modern and powerful monitor did not work. Based on this the staff did nothing to assist us with an alternative room. Few spoke any servicable English in fact. One that did confirmed that she was "sorry" and that we were able to cancel the booking electronically to obtain a refund. My wife (in tears) along with two very sad infants drove 40 miles home.
Since then the hotel has retained my money. The Crown and Cushion have given us fake contact info to avoid my phone calls, They have accused my wife of lying about the conversations we had with their staff and have showed no customer focus whatsoever.
I personally don't believe you could discover a less customer focused establishment.

Room Tip: Any room other than at the Crown and Cushion
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon H
bristol
Reviewed 11 December 2011

third time stayed in this hotel this year and as good as ever, great location in the centre of chipping norton, the food was of a high quality and plentyfull, probally the best hotel bar i have been in, good selection of everything, all the staff are friendly and the owner linda is always about keeping her eye on everything but always has time for a chat, will be back again next year
one of the 14 special guests with our own private xmas function

Room Tip: room 28 very nice
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank grommy2
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I travel for business on a weekly basis. I do not except 5* standards but I do expect clean, welcoming & warm.
This hotel was booked for me and colleagues (through our normally excellent business travel service). I have already complained to them and they will be reviewing if this hotel should still be on their booking service.
I could write pages on how damp, vaguely grubby, cold and generally unpleasant this hotel was but..I will just list the problems.
• Business booking through our business travel service - they do not take AMEX – and had omitted to mention this to our travel service. All our corporate cards are AMEX. I understand that some hotels don't take this card but they should have made us aware when we booked.
• Check in staff disinterested and unhelpful. I and three colleagues had been booked in together – I was banished to the “coach House” at the back of the hotel. Very dark walk from there back to the hotel. No offer of showing me to my room, just a vague hand wave in the direction of the car park.
• It is never a good sign when you are handed the remote for the TV with your room
key!
• My room was freezing. There was a radiator but the weak heat was only on for a
couple of hours. There was a fan heater (not working) so encrusted with dust and
dirt I was glad it was not working as it looked unsafe.
• The room was damp: bedding felt damp, duvet & pillows had no protectors on them
(and very thin & poor quality), I had to ask for another blanket and still had a poor
night’s sleep as I was so cold.
• Bathroom window was ill fitting – the curtain was a flimsy piece of net – no heat
retention.
• Large signs everywhere warning you about fines for smoking in the room. I am a
smoker but I fully respect (and adhere to) a non smoking policy, so I was a little
surprised to see what I assume was the manageress/owner standing in the hall of
the hotel with one foot out the door to the back yard smoking and vaguely waving
the smoke out the door.
• As unfortunately is common in the UK the staff seemed more concerned with talking
to their friends and each other ....when I went to reception to ask for another blanket
@ 5pm there was nobody around. Eventually someone appeared. Interestingly
enough no one asked why I felt I needed another blanket!
• Breakfast was OK but no explanation or signs telling you that the buffet / toast etc
was in fact in another room.
The hotel was not busy – I can see why and seems to rely on tourist who the “old world charm” means shabby, cold and poor service.
Don’t believe their website – yes the Wi-Fi is free but it is not available in the rooms (unless you were my colleague who happened to be staying in the room above the router). You have to try and connect in the “comfy lounge” as it is only available in the public areas. The “comfy lounge” is a small room reminiscent of a care home / nursery. We were staying on the 1st Dec and along with a dusty Christmas tree, there were mismatched chairs, a baby’s car seat, numerous dusty nick-nacks and what I think were some folding chairs stacked behind a couch. There was an open fire – not on.
While Chipping Norton is a nice village, handy for Oxford and the Cotswolds – there are much better (better value too) places to stay.
If you like a mix of 70’s decor (by way of a shabby old people’s home), 60’s service and lack lustre service – make a booking.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Great Tew
Bell Hotel
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlbury

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!