“A decent Hotel and good value”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have stayed in the Crown and Cushion a number of times and always found it to be good in all aspects. It is a bit dated but that in no way detracts from the experience and in many ways fits with Chipping Norton, the restaurant and catering in general is very good and should be tried.
The price is keen and right for the area demonstrated by the fact that the hotel usually seems busy. there is a pool and exercise area but I have not used this .
I am currently booked for a further 3 nights in the next few weeks which must be some demonstration of approval!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian M

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of the 31st August 2013 in a Family Room (Room 23). When we checked in I had high hopes for the place as it's in a gorgeous Cotswold village, is a beautiful historic building and had all the makings of a lovely stay. How wrong we were!
I really should've known something was up when the receptionist asked me to pay the £260 for the 2 night stay in advance. Let me tell you, I have travelled the globe, and I don't think in all my years I've ever been asked to pay up front.
So off we went to our room, full of joy and expectation, only to be hit by the most vile and repulsive wall of stench as we opened the door. As a cat owner in the past, the smell of feline urine is quite unmistakable. You would perhaps expect it in your own home if you have moggies, but not in a hotel room that you've just paid £260 for! You should know at this point that Room 23 sits towards the back of the hotel in an extension with an almost flat roof running up to the back windows.
So we trundled back to reception to make a complaint, only to be told that 'there's absolutely no way cats could get into that room and no one has ever mentioned the smell before.' Well I can only assume the people that have stayed in the room prior to us have all had their sense of smell removed in a delicate operation before staying here. I kid you not when I say you could practically see the whiff hanging like a ghoulish apparition.
Any road up, we then engaged in an interesting conversation with the receptionist about the position of the roof and how one would only need to open the window to welcome Tiddles and her tiddly mates in without even realising. She told us they were too busy this particular weekend for us to be relocated. Fine, we said, do you have any air freshener then, as we kind of don't have too many other options at this point.
A side point to mention....Family Room 23 at this hotel means a small double with a terribly lumpy sofa bed for 2 children to sleep in.
I won't go on (though I could). Suffice to say, we complained again in the morning, telling them we would be out for the entire day if someone could please clean the carpets/freshen up the room. When we arrived back at 11pm some bright spark had put two of those plastic jelly like air fresheners in the room, which are as useful as a chocolate poker. Clueless.
Another complaint had the receptionist coming and checking out the situation for herself only to be as equally appalled at the stench.
When we checked out our complaints to management resulted in them removing our £34 bar/food bill, but no refund or compensation.
On the plus side, the staff (mainly Eastern European) were really lovely. And the breakfast was better than average.
So, all I want to say to you unsuspecting travellers who are looking for a lovely Cotswold experience in an olde worlde inn. Go elsewhere. Even staying at a Holiday Inn or Travelodge would be better than this place. It's such a shame seeing this historic gem insulted in this way.
Go spend your money somewhere that cares about the customer experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 381janee
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had booked this hotel to celebrate my 80th birthday as it was in a good location. Plenty of character to the hotel but great disappointment with the evening meals. The restaurant was closed during our stay (23rd-25th June 2013) and we had to eat in the bar area. This was not very salubrious and on the second night my steak was burned and i refused to pay even though I was offered a fresh one. I didn't think it would be any better. Two other residents we were dining with had disappointments as some dishes they ordered were off. Not the best way to celebrate a special birthday!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We visited for one night and thank goodness it was only one night.
We threw our bags into the room and headed straight out. We didn't return until midnight. Then we realised the quality of the room. Nasty furniture that was in desperate need of replacing, stains on the wall, wonky pictures on the wall. It was late so got changed for bed.
Then went to use the bathroom which was vile. It had an over whelming smell of sick, mould all round the toilet and under the bath. Used the bathroom as quickly as possible.
The bed was awful, we both kept rolling into the middle of the bed due to the age of the mattress.
The next morning we complained. The receptionist came to the room. She said there was nothing she could do. If we had complained the night before we would have been moved. I explained we got back very late and hadnt realises the bathroom problem until very late, we didn't want to have to be moved at 1am. And anyway, the room should have been acceptable in the first place.
We have written an email to management whp have not bothered to reply. We paid £110 for one night. So angry.
On the plus side, good location, good breakfast selection.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Hollylovescake
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our family stay was very pleasant at the crown, great location,swimming pool warm and clean, our rooms located on ground floor but very peaceful. Rooms/beds/bathrooms bit dated but ok. Staff pleasant and managed to change our rooms so we were adjacent to my mother and son, breakfast buffet great with an abundance of choice and loads of pastries!!!
Gym was not very impressive but not essential as could run around the beautiful area. Dined in evening across the road Bitter and Twisted which I would highly recommend.
All in all good value and great for one or two nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel is really attractive in an old-fashioned country pub/hotel way, and our room was spacious and nicely furnished with antique-type furniture and a four-poster bed. But the details really let this place down and spoiled out stay, they had given us only one towel, one sachet of coffee etc so we had to go and ask for more. I woke in the night feeling over-warm, thinking it felt like there was a plastic sheet in the bed, and when I checked in the morning, there was! The 'free wifi' barely worked and the eagerly anticipated steak pie in the bar was stodgy and not very tasty. One young guy was supervising the self-service breakfast but kept disappearing for long periods of time, so that we were left with no butter for toast, and another lady had cereal but no milk. With very little effort, this could have been an enjoyable visit, but left us irritated and unsatisfied.

Room Tip: We had Room 39 which is right at the top end of the hotel courtyard, by quite a noisy road, also the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Room 9 - Avoid!

Room is positioned next to the cistern for all the hot water for the hotel, so all you can hear at night is running water.

Beds feel like they are filled with car springs and dig into your back.

All power is switched off at source when you enter the room, so you have to spend a while finding all the sockets

Oh ...and a unique approach when you check in, a TV remote is issued with your key!?

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!