“Soooooo disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
UK
“Soooooo disappointed”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here in September after a very difficult booking experience with the hotel itself went through a booking site & got exactly what we wanted at a much more competitive price - this despite the staff repeatedly telling us we could not book single nights! Two other parties of my family also stayed here so it was a substantial booking. The booking experience should have alerted us to what lay in store! The building itself is very quaint & our room was OK but a lot of the place is in need of a little TLC. The people we dealt with on several occasion on reception were apalling & if we had any other choice of accomodation we would not have stayed. We booked breakfast for a large party of our family (we were attending a family funeral in Chipping Norton) & it was disasterous made much worse by one of the staff's attitude who also happened to be the one we had had the misfortune of dealing with at reception. On the plus side the bar staff in the evening were very helpful & the bar area is pleasant & comfy.

Room Tip: None as would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank delmanda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Although a no smoking the room it smelt of stale cigarettes mainly on the bed cover, heating came on at 6-00pm and went off about 7-00pm. Woke in the morning 6-30 no heating, left 8-15am still no heating.
Had a hot shower in a very cold room. Plug in sink did not fit, so wasted to much water.
Mould on wall in bedroom and on tiles in bathroom. Had to ask for a remote for TV.
Furniture so dated all with bad fitting drawers.
I complained at the reception desk, no apology just a vacant look.
Breakfast the fried eggs were cold as the food heater was not on.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first if possible. I have men staying at local pub B&B who have no problems. P...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank slapdabber

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This place is very basic, it is old and dated. The staff try really hard to make you feel welcome and they work hard at what they do.
my room was clean but poorly equipped, the complement tray only has two sticks of coffee, one of which is decaffeinated, two tea bags, four sugars and two milks and a sachet of hot chocolate.
The bathroom only has one shower gel and one shampoo sachet and these are not replenished, so you will need to take soap and shampoo. I had a bath with a shower attachment, so could only hose myself down and there was no shower curtain so the floor became wet and slippery.
The bar food is good as are the breakfasts, I did not eat in the restaurant as it was only open once to my knowledge in the time I was there.
The guy at reception clearly does not fully understand his role and is not confident in it and he does not read the booking information causing confusion at the desk booking in and booking out.
The bar staff were very attentive and service was good.
The lady who owns/runs the place is very pleasant and friendly.
This place is in need of updating and needs to decide on what it is meant to be, in the past it was probably very upmarket, however it seems to be predominately passing trade and working men who stay there now, so a face lift is overdue.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mick G
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here on the 3rd October this year and was made to feel very welcome by all the staff especially at reception. Had a beautiful room with a four poster bed and a lovely breakfast in beautiful surroundings. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Pinny27
Ledbury
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was invited to deliver a lecture at the Crown and Cushion, and to have lunch. There is little or no signage for parking at the hotel, which I required to unload my equipment. I had to ask the way to the back of the hotel, and a kind gentleman directed me as it was at the rear of the building. It is through a very narrow brick portal, and on a steep incline, and when you have that to contend with, many of the spaces are for residents staying at the hotel. Finally I managed to insinuate my car into a rather meanly-marked out space and unloaded my projector. The lady at the reception, which I had to trudge down to, again a deep slope, told me the room I required was back the way I had come and said "it is the door on the right", forgetting to mention there were at least 5 doors on the right before I located the one I was supposed to be in. I found that there was no stand on which to put my equipment and the waiters, trying to be helpful, returned to me after 5 minutes saying that the Hotel didn't own such a thing.......This is astonishing given that the hotel boasts, of having meeting and conference rooms available. Between us, and floating all the rules of health and safety, we managed to build a platform like the Tower of Babel in order to project the images required. Then came the food - I can only describe it as mediocre, and the coffee worse. Surely Hotels these days are able to cater for 40 people in one sitting? In the very attractive tourist town of Chipping Norton, with lovely shops and gorgeous countryside, does the Crown and Cushion feel that it does not even make the pretence of trying to compete? The interior of the hotel is lovely, yet when I wanted to use the lavatory facilities, the route to it was so dark, I almost fell over. possible the worst aspect was the stale smell and carpets on which the soles of you shoes experienced a "stickiness". This hotel really must try harder, I would certainly not recommend it to my friends as a venue for lunch.

Room Tip: Book a parking space in advance if you can - or be prepared to walk from one on the public car parks...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I really liked the old style room we got, lovely comfortable bed and the room was clean - what more do you need? We went to the restaurant and the food was absolutely lovely 3 course meal and a bottle of wine for less than £60 and it was gorgeous. The service throughout was great - no complaints from us.

• Stayed October 2013
england
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had a pleasant stay at the hotel, the food was good especially the evening meal. The twin room was three floors up and no lift which could be difficult for older people. The room was very clean though noisy as it faced a main road, but we didnt find it a problem. The down side was the shower we had low water pressure so sometimes there was'nt any water, the shower attachment was broken so the shower head kept flying round and flooding the floor, i did report it and was assured it would be dealt with. The staff were helpfull and friendly. I was dissapointed with Chipping Norton but its a good base to go to places.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Great Tew
Bell Hotel
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlbury

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!