“lovely weekend stay”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Walsall, United Kingdom
“lovely weekend stay”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

just returned from a lovely weekend stay at the friendly crown and cushion. We realy enjoyed our stay apart from the hard mattress which gave me back ache and that was in a superior room, nice and warm though they kept the heating on and it was a cold weekend, the hotel just needs updating looks a bit tired in places, restaurant was empty on a Friday night we had a nice meal but felt the prices were a little high, maybe they would get more people through the door if they lowered prices and made menu a little more simple. apart from that we enjoyed it great location for touring Cotswolds and a great price. breakfast was very good. would stay again if in area.

Room Tip: we had room 28 nice quiet room just a bit tired. hated mattress though
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

+ points : Authentic four poster bedroom, perfect for a romantic break (bed on raised area with a balustrade around it ), china pot under bed which is a great touch, not that I used it though !.

Good hearty breakfast part buffet / part cooked, good friendly atmosphere in the bar / restaurant area with a huge open fire, perfect after a days walking.

Helpful staff

Great central location for visiting the Cotswolds.

Minus points : Dreadful car parking facilities, even if you managed to find a space (rare)at the rear of the hotel, cars are packed in like sardines, odds on your going to get a scrape or dent as we witnessed some tense, difficult manoeuvring . When we arrived (9:00pm) there were no spaces & we were told to park in the free public car park across the road (OK if you don't have luggage !) & you can only park for a limited time until you have to move it.

Swimming pool water temperature 'brass monkeys!', proper cold, made my wife turn blue & not in a good way!

Minor moan: Would benefit from a couple of extra shelves in the bathroom, ended up with toiletries on the floor, not ideal.

• Stayed February 2014
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Well what can I say . I booked this hotel online. I booked a room for one of my engineers for Sunday 16 March and Monday 17 March. I then booked a room for Tuesday 18th March and Wednesday 19th March for myself. I then rang up to make payment with my credit card for the two rooms. I could not make the gentleman at reception understand what that I wanted to pay for the rooms in advance. I think he may have been of Eastern European origin and their was clearly a language barrier. After much discussion I finally managed to make payment. After my engineer had stayed I rang him to ask him how the hotel was. In a very understated comment he stated I have stayed in better!!

After a long drive and suffering with a bad back I arrived at the hotel. It was 20:30hrs. I stood in some discomfort at the reception waiting to check in while the receptionist casually walked behind the counter and answered the telephone. I stood there for 10 minutes whilst he explained the prices for 4 poster beds and various rates with a potential customer. I was in a bit of pain so walked outside the front of the hotel and down the high street to try and loosen up my back. I returned to the reception 5 minutes later. The receptionist was still on the phone and a second phone was ringing. He held a piece of paper up with my name on and asked if that was me. I said yes and he handed me a key to room 6. He said I will call you to explain everything and continued on with his phone call. Great first impression there then.

I went to my room and well what can I say? The landing smelt damp for a start off. I had two yale keys only one of which fitted the lock. the second key went in the lock and got jammed but I eventually managed to pull it back out and open the door. I dropped my gear and tried to settle down. The wind was howling round the poorly fit windows and out side each of the two windows is a very bright light illuminating not only the sign but the whole of the bedroom. I put the TV on which was a flat screen on an old fashioned wall bracket. This stuck out at head height and in the path of where you needed to get in and out of bed. I had a terrible nights sleep as the bed was most uncomfortable. This was probably compounded by the fact that I had a bad back but either way the bed was awful.

The following morning I woke up and went to put the kettle on. The lid flew off the kettle and after a struggle i managed to get it back on. I then though where am I going to plug it in? There were no sockets near the sideboard the kettle was sat on. So I had to plug it in on the bedroom floor. When I stood up I nearly had my eye out on the TV bracket above the boiling kettle on the floor. I even joked on Facebook that I will get poleaxed by the TV bracket before I check out of this Hotel. This turned out to be a prophetic statement. It is a wonder that no one has been seriously injured by this bracket.

Next was time for a shower. Ahh no soap, no shampoo?? I rang reception and asked if they did shampoo and soap. Yes came the reply. Well may I have some I inquired. So I waited 10 minutes in my underpants for the shampoo and soap. Oh I forgot to mention that when I went to bed I thought the door had shut behind me as most hotel doors It had not latched and the door was open all night. But the door is another story. So back to the shower. It was a mixer tap so I put the water on lovely got the right temperature lovely. I got in the bath and pulled the shower curtain across. I lifted the shower head up to the holder on the wall. Jesus Christ I screamed as the jet of water flew horizontally across the bathroom hitting the wall and soaking the whole place. I pulled the shower curtain round to cover the end of the bath but this exposed the other end so that end of the bathroom got a soaking too. It was like a scene from the Titanic. I got out of the bath and nearly broke my neck. Every where was awash with about half an inch of water. This made getting ready very unpleasant standing in a puddle whilst brushing my teeth etc.

I went down to breakfast and in the room was a lovely central feature of a Calor Gas Fire you know the sort with a gas bottle behind it. It was a buffet style breakfast with barely adequate food I don't know waht they use for Brown Sauce but I haven't tasted anything like it before? The Hot food was in a sort of Mobile device that was pushed so close to the wall it was difficult to get to the food on the one side of it. I went about my days business and returned to the hotel later on. I went into the bathroom to see if it was still sodden. But it had been cleaned up. I felt sorry for whoever had to clean it. I then noticed that the earth bonding wire was not connected to the radiator just shoved behind it. See photo. I went and had a drink at the bar pleasant enough atmosphere and had scampi and chips adequate but the chips were a little under cooked. The bar staff were very helpful and polite but the language barrier was a hindrance with having to repeat everything.

I went to bed and later went to put something in the bin. It was only then I noticed the unusual decor on the bin. Great big Cannabis leaves. What a lovely touch to my thoroughly miserable room. After another sleepless night I got up boiled the kettle on the floor turned around and smashed my head off that bloody bracket that I mentioned earlier. I now have a cut and grazed head.

On the way out of the room I noticed the door which I believe should be a 30 minute fire door was held together with screws and nails which probably explains why the door wouldn't latch . Each time I came to enter my room I would get the wrong key stuck in the lock.

It is said Keith Moon used to own this place and I would argue that it hasn't been decorated since. The Fire sign next to the manual call point outside my door was simply rammed behind the wire and was not fixed to the wall. I never had time to complain when I checked as I had an appointment. In was nearly late as it took me over 15 minutes to reverse out of the appalling car park. You will prang your car or someone else's if you are not very careful!

I would not recommend this hotel to any one and judging by the room I had it is only a matter of time before someone has a serious accident, knocks their teeth out, loses an eye, breaks their neck or scalds their foot.

Management take note before you get seriously in trouble or end up in court or sued!!

I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank OldContemptible

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Silverstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Night away with my husband as a late valentine evening. We had booked a 4 poster bed room which was very cramped. Bed quality was very poor, small, hard and uncomfortable. The staff we encountered were great, friendly, pleasant and smiley. The hotel bar prices were a pleasant surprise but the breakfast was a let down. On the up side from other reviews I have read, the room was warm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in room 1. The shower in the bath had the shower pipe casing broken so that the flexible inner tube was exposed for about 40cm. That meant that unless you balanced the shower head very carefully, the tube kinked and no water came out. The room generally looked worn out and in need of all new fittings and carpet and repainting. A small bar of soap and two sachets of shower gel and shampoo were supplied, but not replenished in my three night stay. Breakfast is a buffet but the hot food is poor quality and a large amount is put out and stands around for a long period, which is especially bad for the fried eggs. The sausages are of an especially cheap type. The orange juice is of poor quality. You can taste that cost of food has been minimised aggressively. After the first day, I ate at Number 24 next door, which serves an excellent cooked breakfast and freshly squeezed orange juice and excellent coffee. I paid £60 per night for a room with single occupancy, so at least it is not too expensive.

The Crown and Cushion is in a convenient location in the centre of Chipping Norton.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

For my special birthday we booked a weekend at The Crown and Cushion where 15 of us celebrated. The staff could not have been more helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Linda on reception was a gem. We had a separate room for the birthday dinner where the service was excellent. The food was superb and reasonably priced with good variety. The rooms were comfortable with good quality bedding and towels. Although we did not use the pool it looked very inviting and clean.
A great place to stay to enjoy the Cotswolds and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Roo All very comfortable according to the friends and family who stayed there with us.ms 31 and 22 h...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel we were pleased with the ease of parking and good location. Both rooms 3&4 were fine although 3 a little cramped. We ate breakfast and dinner there for two nights and enjoyed good food, reasonably priced served by very attentive Spanish waiter who worked very hard and had excellent customer service skills. The downside was that the pool was super freezing! The shower in room 4 was hopeless as were the ones at the pool. It was not an expensive weekend so we all felt that we got good value for money and look forward to returning there again. The owner needs to praise the commitment of his staff as they are a credit to him!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bell Hotel
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlbury
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!