“Happy to recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Happy to recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Booked two rooms at this hotel, one double & a single for Mum. Our room was huge and very comfortable, mum's single was also a good size and equally good. Breakfast was plentiful, mainly buffet style with the hot elements cooked to order, staff extremely pleasant and helpful. We ate twice in the bar and the food was of good pub grub standard. Surprised by some of the previous negative comments, our stay was very pleasant and would definitely book again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Poole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having booked a night’s accommodation at this hotel, my car sadly broke down less than 10 miles away from the destination (after completing over 90% of the journey!) As my alternator had failed, I had no alternative other than to be recovered home to Poole. I kept the hotel updated on developments at all times and the gentleman who answered my calls was very friendly and pleasant and said he would do his best to see if I could be saved from being invoiced for the full cost. However, his manager had different ideas and I was charged the full amount. I must say that given the extenuating circumstances, not to mention the wasted journey up and additional cost of repair, I was disappointed by this apparent lack of understanding. I have worked in higher education for almost two decades and although there are rules and regulations by which we operate, we still deal with each student’s set of circumstances on an individual basis and give leniency where necessary. Given that the hotel was not short of rooms that night and the fact that they technically still owe me a breakfast, I would have thought that they might have been a little more sympathetic to my circumstances. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t have charged anything, but rather that they could have simply taken a percentage of the overall cost. I fully intend to return to the Cotswolds in due course and would have been happy to return to this hotel had they shown some goodwill. Needless to say, that will not be happening now.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Linda O

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The room was seriously over-priced at £135, although we did not pay this much, as we arrived at 9.30pm on a Friday, but they still tried to charge it at the full amount. There was no hairdryer in the room, and the members of staff were apparently unable to get hold of one, so I had to go to bed with long wet hair. There was no mat for the bathroom floor. There was no remote control for the TV. There were no cups or glasses to use in the bathroom, only little tea cups. There was people's rubbish on the top of the four poster bed. The shampoo and shower gel did not come in nice little bottles, but in SACHETS, as you might expect to find if you were paying £40 for a night. The bar staff were very nice and helpful, but the staff on reception seemed a bit useless. The car park is TINY, with no space to turn around, and I managed to back into a wall that was low and sticking out, so I couldn't see it in my mirrors.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank berenw
Chester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my dad as we were visiting Blenheim Palace the next day and wanted to make the most of a couple of days away. On arrival at the hotel it seemed fine. The bar is quaint and we had no issue with this aspect of the hotel at all.

My dad stayed in room 3 which seemed fine on arrival bar the fact he had to ask at reception for the remote control for the tv, and there was no main light although there was a light switch for one. Then at about 10pm the side lights turned themselves off and he couldn't get any electricity for the rest of the evening. In the morning, he then wasn't able to wash as he had no hot water.

I was given room number 5. I also had to ask for a remote control for the tv. My bigger concerns came when I saw the mattress was about 15cm smaller than the bed frame and that there was someone's toe nail on the part where the mattress wasn't. To add to this, when I sat on the bed I could literally feel every round spring and the bed was on a complete slant to the left. Just to top everything off the window was extremely difficult to close and when I finally managed it, it made absolutely no difference due to the gap between the window and window frame. I very very rarely complain but I knew I couldn't stay in the room. Reception didn't question the reasons I gave to change rooms which definitely gave the impression they'd had these complaints before.

My final room was adequate but I hardly slept. The issue was the same with the window in this room and of course, I had to ask for the remote control!!

Breakfast was fine in the morning. A selection of hot and cold food with cereal options.

All in all it felt like a stay at Fawlty Towers....

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Catt32
Warwickshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was a last minute booking, with an upgrade to superior room. I doubt the hotel would win any major awards, but we found it a great place to stay. It's slightly dated but still very pleasant. The bar was busy and had a great buzz about it. Breakfast buffet was very varied and plentiful. Service from the staff is excellent - would seem to be mainly Eastern Europeans. The location was wonderful - right in the centre of this lovely and thriving market town. Plenty of independent shops, bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: Room 25 was quite decent. Fabulous power shower. Four poster bed. A little side room with a small so...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

One of the first hotels that ask for payment before you get your key,Dont take too much luggage as you may have to walk A.from the car park to reception book in and then B.walk up the stairs (no lift) and all the way back along the passageway almost to were you parked but indoors (we had a view of our car just outside our bedroom window) Our bed was a four poster it was a very small double and very hard.
The bar was good and freindly the staff very helpfull,the breakfast also was good with a good choice also with friendly staff.
Its no distance from the shops just walk ou the front door and you are there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had a warm and friendly welcome food was excellent warm fires and great service room was clean and tidy and there was a good hot and cold buffet breakfast a good bar and resteraunt menu and will be returning

• Stayed March 2014
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,757 reviews
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!