“Almost comedic”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I don't quite no where to start with this hotel. It was bizarre. I suppose I have to start by saying it was the cheapest I could find in the area, so since my decision-making was based on whatever came in the lowest price-wise I can't go to town too much...
We stayed in one of the coach houses, which had an odd smell. The TV couldn't receive signal for most of the channels, which was rather annoying. We tried re-tuning and then re-installing but to no avail. The 'highlight' of the stay was the shower. A dwarf would struggle to use it. I had to kneel on my knees and hold the shower head over my head - which greatly amused my girlfriend (I'll spare you the photos!) but wasn't the most satisfying way to start my day. I'll just point out that I'm 6 foot, so by no means a giant! Breakfast was included but y girlfriend didn't fancy it so I can't pass comment.
There's so much more I can write. I suppose I got what I paid for. If you're just after a cheap place to crash it's fine. If you're after anything more, don't expect more. Comedic sums the experience up!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom R
There are newer reviews for Crown and Cushion Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I have just spent four enjoyable nights at the C&C, however it would have been much better had we had a good TV service! We stayed from Sunday until Thursday and I didn't realise how boring it was without a telly. We couldn't get a picture on BBC at all and the remainder of the channels were pixelating all the time. Wednesday from about 21.30 there was no picture at all.
Having said all that the hotel was generally very good. The moral is if you intend watching TV find somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went here for my dad's 50th birthday and overall it is a lovely location, staff were warm and welcoming when we arrived too. However, me and my sister were placed in an almost isolated room. That's when things got a bit weird. Over night, neither of us slept. Someone kept knocking our door, our wardrobe kept opening and a constant tapping from the walls. Many people will say this is nonsense but we have never ever experienced anything like this. If you are going to stay here, request a room which is surrounded by others (rooms 17 and above), if you're easily scared that is. Other than our creepy experience, we enjoyed our short weekend away!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I had stayed here with my girlfriend in April and to be honest I could not be more pleased with the room and the amazing piripiri chicken. It was cooked to perfection. Breakfast choice was big,although the egg took 10 minutes to cook but its ok.Friendly staff but they should put more effort on teaching the staff some better english.
But I would recommend this hotel who would like to have a nice place to sleep and don't spend that much money.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I can just about cope with a tired, less than clean establishment, if the service is warm, friendly and helpful. However, I am not willing to ever again stay in a hotel that smells of chip fat, has the least helpful/friendly staff (at all levels) I have ever encountered and a housekeeping system which involves picking damp towels out of the bath (universal sign for "new towels" as far as I am concerned), folds them and hangs on a non-heated wooden towel rail.

It took 3 enquiries to have the room provided with a hairdryer ("are you SURE there isn't one?", I was asked), the wrong newspaper was delivered in the morning and we were met with a shrug and a "what's wrong with this one?" (we asked for The Times and got The Sun...) and our 2 whole sachets of shampoo and showergel were not replenished the 2nd day.

Breakfast was a congealed buffet. We arrived just 30mins after it opened so I'm not sure how it got the chance to become like that and produce was not of great quality.

Upon departure, I was asked to pay for my second nght, despite having already done so on arrival. Not sure why the credit card receipt attached to my account sheet wasn't sufficient to indicate this.

I know that in the current climate, all hotels make cuts but there is no way that the service that accompanied these cuts was acceptable. The following two nights were spend in lovely, friendly, comfortable hotels elsewhere, one was slightly more expensive, one was a few £ cheaper. They really set this hotel's offering into context and the result was not favourable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank R C
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived at reception to a somewhat less than it ought to be welcome. We had to settle the bill before we were given our room key which was very unusual. We got parked ok in the the long thin car park but with over 40 rooms I would imagine this could be a problem if it was fully booked.
The room, No35, was ok, it had a 4 poster bed but without drapes this looked out of place. The room was well appointed but had the feeling that it was cheap. It was clean and tidy though. We ate in the restaurant and to be honest, I couldn't fault it. There was a good selection and it was very well cooked and presented.
Breakfast was buffet style, well cooked and had a decent selection although it took too long to replenish things that had run out.
We didn't use the pool but our friends did. They struggled to get into the pool building at 8am because it was locked and it then took too long to find someone who spoke English to get it opened. They eventually enjoyed their swim but this was spoiled by the pathetic dribble of the showers afterwards.
I had nothing to formally complain about but I would not consider staying here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott W
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Booked two rooms at this hotel, one double & a single for Mum. Our room was huge and very comfortable, mum's single was also a good size and equally good. Breakfast was plentiful, mainly buffet style with the hot elements cooked to order, staff extremely pleasant and helpful. We ate twice in the bar and the food was of good pub grub standard. Surprised by some of the previous negative comments, our stay was very pleasant and would definitely book again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
#2 of 2 in Shipston-on-Stour
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!