“Good stay”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here for one night and we're very pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. The hotel is deceptive, right in the middle of the town it looks small from the front but goes a long way back. We had a room on the top floor at the front, which has a lovely view across the town and fields. We were promptly welcomed at reception in a friendly manner. Yes it is odd to pay up front and to have your TV remote handed to you but other then that all was well. The room was spotlessly clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was a little tired and needs some work but the shower pressure was great and towels nice and big. Tea and coffee were provided in the room. The breakfast was good, buffet style and lots to choose from. Service was again prompt not overly friendly but efficient. All in all a good stay. We were there on a Saturday evening and parked at the front so can't comment on the parking arrangements.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Crown and Cushion Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just returned from spending a wonderful week end at the Crown & Cushion.
I wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff for making our stay so welcoming. Everyone in our group commented on how lovely the food was, so I will certainly be recommending the Crown & Cushion to friends and hope to come back for another stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ken T
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Given the reviews on TA, I wouldn't have booked here, but as we were attending a festival based in the town and other friends were booked into the C&C we took the plunge. Learning from previous reviews we booked a room at the rear of the main building - (good idea, one friend had a room at the front and after two hours trying to sleep above the road noise had to change rooms.) The room, like the Hotel was rather like something out of the 1970's, spacious but all rather "tired". TV worked fine, plenty of (very) hot water for a deep bath, but as previous reviews we found the bed pretty uncomfortable.

Breakfast was a help yourself buffet and there was a good choice ranging through cereal, fruit, ham and cheese to the full fry up. Bizarrely the first three knives I picked up were bent and the crockery looked as if it had been washed with a garden hose from 20 meters.

Location for an event in Chipping Norton is excellent, you are right on the High Street, so everything is within walking distance. For a hotel of its size the C&C does well in the leisure department with a nice heated swimming pool (prob 15m and complete with a 'jet stream') and a quite well equipped gym (see photos).

Service was fine and on balance if we went to another event based in Chipping Norton we would probably stay at the C&C again.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back of the main building
1  Thank Jez D
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here with my in laws for my father in law's birthday. We were also able to bring our two dogs with us which was great. There was a mix up over the booking when we arrived which the manager handled extremely well and resolved to our full satisfaction. We had standard rooms which were a little tired but very clean and the beds were really comfortable.

We had lunch and dinner at the hotel and the food was delicious, especially the puddings! Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Some are maybe a little lacking in experience but made up for it with politeness and helpfulness. They were aware it was my father in law's 85th birthday and made a fuss of him which was lovely.

Breakfast was really good, plenty of hot and cold choices and well cooked.

One small criticism is that when hotels promote themselves as dog friendly they normally have one area (eg the bar) where you can eat in the evening and take your dogs in with you. We were lucky enough to have lunch outside as it was a nice day but it could have been a bit of a problem at dinner and breakfast.

But overall we had a really nice stay. Thank you.

Room Tip: Standard rooms maybe a bit small - perhaps upgrade if you can!
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I don't quite no where to start with this hotel. It was bizarre. I suppose I have to start by saying it was the cheapest I could find in the area, so since my decision-making was based on whatever came in the lowest price-wise I can't go to town too much...
We stayed in one of the coach houses, which had an odd smell. The TV couldn't receive signal for most of the channels, which was rather annoying. We tried re-tuning and then re-installing but to no avail. The 'highlight' of the stay was the shower. A dwarf would struggle to use it. I had to kneel on my knees and hold the shower head over my head - which greatly amused my girlfriend (I'll spare you the photos!) but wasn't the most satisfying way to start my day. I'll just point out that I'm 6 foot, so by no means a giant! Breakfast was included but y girlfriend didn't fancy it so I can't pass comment.
There's so much more I can write. I suppose I got what I paid for. If you're just after a cheap place to crash it's fine. If you're after anything more, don't expect more. Comedic sums the experience up!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom R
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I have just spent four enjoyable nights at the C&C, however it would have been much better had we had a good TV service! We stayed from Sunday until Thursday and I didn't realise how boring it was without a telly. We couldn't get a picture on BBC at all and the remainder of the channels were pixelating all the time. Wednesday from about 21.30 there was no picture at all.
Having said all that the hotel was generally very good. The moral is if you intend watching TV find somewhere else.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went here for my dad's 50th birthday and overall it is a lovely location, staff were warm and welcoming when we arrived too. However, me and my sister were placed in an almost isolated room. That's when things got a bit weird. Over night, neither of us slept. Someone kept knocking our door, our wardrobe kept opening and a constant tapping from the walls. Many people will say this is nonsense but we have never ever experienced anything like this. If you are going to stay here, request a room which is surrounded by others (rooms 17 and above), if you're easily scared that is. Other than our creepy experience, we enjoyed our short weekend away!

• Stayed: April 2014
#2 of 2 in Shipston-on-Stour
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!