“Passable for a single night's stay”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is a delightful old building in a very nice position and has some good features. The paperwork said 'a four-poster' room, but that didn't happen. Didn't bother to complain so cannot say how that would have been dealt with. The room, in fact, which is on the ground floor, is very basic and needs updating. Did not eat dinner there as there are some very nice restaurant in Chipping Norton as well as many in the surrounding area. Buffet breakfast was just adequate, but I asked for soft boiled eggs (not on the menu) which took 15 minutes to arrive, were quite hard and had been peeled - perhaps they don't have an eggcup in the hotel?
Overall, I shall probably stay there again as I visit Chipping Norton quite often, but would not want to stay more than one night.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have a footpath right outside the window with patrons of the public bar passing bac...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lucyanne35
There are newer reviews for Crown and Cushion Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Pleasantly surprised to get a four poster bed and huge bath! Quiet room at the back of the hotel. Parking on site. Didn't use the pool but ate in the bar where the service was excellent and the food was very good. (Lite bites a misnomer as the sandwiches were huge and served with chips and salad!) breakfast was buffet style but plenty of choice and staff were very obliging. All in all a good choice and good value for money. Bed comfortable but flock pillows lumpy. Not the only hotel where this has been a problem!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank LoJo54
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After a helpful welcome from the receptionist, and a friendly barman and attentive waitress, there isn't very much we can say in recommendation of this hotel. Our room, no 14, was extremely warm (OK, it was at the end of a warm day but we had come from a smaller hotel on the South Coast which provided a fan to cool the room - not difficult, or expensive to organise, when there is no AC. The welcome pint of beer went flat within seconds, although the wine menu was reasonably priced and the wine chosen was OK. We ate in the bar, since we had eaten rather well over the previous couple of days, and only wanted one course. We both chose the cod - possibly the worst meal we've eaten in a long time. Tasteless fish, tasteless batter, cheap frozen chips (although you can say this about most hotels), awful tartare sauce and a salad with a mustard dressing - a mustard dressing with cod, please!!.

Had opened the window of the bedroom but had to close it due to the sound of the kitchen fan - still able to hear it when the window was closed. But the worst was yet to come.

For breakfast we asked for a poached egg since when we looked at the fried eggs there were 3 in the tray that looked like they had been cooked yesterday. After about 15 minutes, I asked the waiter (on his own - so not much effort to provide adequate staffing) he showed some irritation that I should enquire with the words "he's (pointing next door) doing it - I am not the cooker". Five minutes later the eggs arrived and were as hard as bullets and were inedible. I had a piece of black pudding that was tasteless and the bacon had been cooked on one side.

The shower head was just about hanging together but I thought the days of small sachets of shower gel and shampoo were a thing of the past. The confirmation of booking said that the rooms had been refurbished and the hotel offered the luxury that the modern traveller expected. We stayed in 2 other hotels during our trip and in each we witnessed a commitment towards their guests that we unfortunately did not find in this hotel. Mediocrity is possibly the only word we can use about so many aspects of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stay one night at this hotel during a business trip. Nice hotel with lovely swimming pool. Nice location,convenient for public transport. Big double bedroom but little window so it got very warm at nighttime. Good breakfast, plenty of choices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked on hotels.com who said the rooms have climate control… beware they do not ; not normally an issue with our summer in the UK, but it was pushing 28 degrees centigrade in the day, and in the hotel room at night I think it must have been about 25 degrees; so it made for an uncomfortable stay.

I was in room 5 - the window wouldn’t open fully due to the pelmet being in the way of the window frame, so I had to settle for the window open at an angle.

My friend stayed in room 9 and he had to move the dressing table out of the way to get the window open. Once open the windows exposed the noise from Pubs at kicking out time, and the ebb and flow of traffic throughout the night, not to mention the clock tower that strikes on the hour and every half hour!

My other friend was in Room 8 (I think) , he had windows that opened, but it backed onto the heat exchanger for the refrigeration units for the pub/kitchen, so it kicked in/out throughout the night again causing my other friend a bad nights sleep!

If the rooms had been better ventilated (or the weather cooler) none of this would have been an issue of course!

The amenities of the hotel are ok, the reception area and lounge are small, but functional and inviting, and the bar area had a good selection of reasonably priced beers (Stella was £3.30 a pint).

Breakfast was excellent for a small hotel, a buffet of cooked or continental breakfast complete with gluten free options for those who require them.

The bar staff were helpful, but I barely got a grunt out of the lady on reception! The added bonus of a car park with easy access made moving cases to/from the rooms easy.

Overall I paid £142 for 2 nights, which included free breakfast and wi-fi, for a single room, the bed was a ¾ bed rather than a single, so that was a nice surprise! The room itself was an ok size, but it was a bit on the shabby side. The mattress was bowed in the middle and I found it a bit uncomfortable. The bathroom although clean was in need of a lick of paint but it had the most amazing shower pressure. I’m not sure if they had some kind of pump hooked up, but the pressure that came out was awesome! Unfortunately I was only given one sachet of shower gel/shampoo for both stays... I thought this was an oversight, but my friends didn't get more than one either!

PS check out the comedy wiring in the restaurant, bare wires twisted together just on the left hand side as you walk in (near the wall light on the left)

Not sure I'd go back to be honest; so much potential with a small amount of freshning up!

Even fans would have been a nice addition!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the block at the far rear of the hotel, and away from the bar. This block is away...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Lovely position on edge of Cotswolds, not in a pretty town but we stayed in the hotel in the evening because it was like being abroad. Friendly staff especially a polish waiter called Daniel, lovely food breakfast was plentiful, the little outside area was so pretty it felt like you could be anywhere and there was a pool. Very good price only £150 for 2 for 2 nights. Only one thing wrong is the decor is very tired but I think this reflects the very cheap cost. Lovely roll top bath but nowhere to put shower gel/shampoo Tec. But all in all a very friendly, well run hotel, would stay again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to four poster,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently stayed for three nights at this hotel, and from the minute we walked in we were made to feel more than welcome. Our room was spacious and very clean. The food in the bar and restaurant was excellent, plentiful as well. The staff were always attentive, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra and opt for the superior room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Shipston-on-Stour
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!