“Rooms where lovely, shame about the customer service!”
Review of The Row Barge Inn

The Row Barge Inn
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We didn't really enjoy our stay at The Row Barge. Although the rooms were very nice the service we experienced was extremely poor and unprofessional.

£80.00 a lot of money I think. We arrived for breakfast in the morning, to be offered a full English "but we are veggies I explained, I had informed you of this". The guy just looked at us as if we were from a different planet. Basically we paid 80.00! for cold toast, small box of frosties and a glass of orange juice we had to share. My partner did fare a bit better he had egg and beans! Basically we didn't feel very welcome. Won't be going there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank meerkat059

Reviewed 28 June 2010

A group of us stayed here for the weekend to cycle the Chiltern Challenge. The accommodation was pleasant. The rooms were spacious and the pub central to the town. The owner was very accommodating and staff friendly.

The pub itself is a charming local pub on a lovely street just off the centre of town. It was full of character with a little winding staircase up to the rooms. My first impression was that the room was absolutely lovely. However, upon visiting the bathroom, I found a pubic hair on the toilet seat, fluff and dust on the bathroom floor and the glass shower screen was not very clean at all. I found it quite difficult to sleep in my room as there was a lot of light coming from the landing, from an emergency light in the room and from the bathroom window. The beds, however, were very comfortable and had crisp, clean sheets so if light does not bother you, you will probably have a very comfortable night.

Some members of our group mentioned noise of guests leaving in the early hours of the morning but my room was at the back of the pub and I did not experience this.

All in all, the accommodation worked well for our weekend but a little more attention to detail, in my opinion, would make it worth the £85 per night for the large room.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank RedMarch
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed here for one night after a surprise 30th wedding anniversary. The location is great - it's in a quiet road, right in the centre close to all the attractions. The rooms are lovely - very comfy mattresses and spotlessly clean. The rooms are surprisingly big too with a large en-suite and sofa - all in all very comfortable. We had a lovely big breakfast in the morning (so good we came back for lunch). Lovely couple who own it - local Henley residents doing their best to keep an beautiful old pub alive - and they couldn't have been more helpful. All in all, great value and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JFMZS
Reviewed 19 September 2009

There is not much I can add to previous reviews, they say it all really - a lovely little pub with great clean, tidy and quiet rooms, in a very central position a minute's walk from Henley town centre, very friendly and accommodating hosts, welcoming locals in the pub downstairs, good parking outside, very generous and tasty breakfasts - and all that at a bargain price. I can't recommend the Row Barge highly enough, just go and stay there!

2  Thank AlanmBrighton
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My wife and I spent the night of our silver wedding celebrations there on the 5th of September. Everywhere else was full and it was sheer luck that we found room at the Row Barge:- It was idyllic. When we woke up in the morning it really felt that we had just got married again such was the setting.We will be back Jock Wishart, London

1  Thank jockwish
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My Wife and I had the good fortune to stumble accross The Row Barge Inn when looking for a place to stay last weekend.

The accommodation was excellent, the welcome from the owner was warm and sincere and the overall experience was superb.

Whether you are looking for a weekend base from which to explore the beautiful Oxfordshire town of Henley-On-Thames or somewhere a little bit different to stay over for business I would thoroughly recommend this charming pub/restaurant.

Nigel Parkinson

3  Thank nigelparkinson
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I've been fortunate to travel all over the world and have stayed in some of the smartest. The Row Barge, under its new ownership/landlords ,is a 5 star place of its kind - great service, very clean, fantastic, genuinely home-made/cooked food (the Sunday lunch roast is to die for!) and the accommodation better than many so-called 'lodges' and 'inns'. The new people have great plans for the place and, already, having only been there a couple of months, have made their mark. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely furnished and the welcome you get on arrival, and during your stay, is terrific-nothing is too much trouble. If you like a good, well cooked full English breakfast (or something much simpler) then you can't find a better place!

(Dr) Alan Jones-stayed five times over the course of four weeks

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank woodred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed

Been to The Row Barge Inn? Share your experiences!