“Very expensive indian fare”

Spice Merchant - Henley on Thames
Price range: US$47 - US$136
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As our picturesque riverside restaurant, Spice Merchant Henley has a lot to live up to. Located in a traditional, rustic-framed building and alongside the finish line of the Henley Royal Regatta, the restaurant boasts a glamorous dining environment for you to enjoy.
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I absolutely agree with the review from the American. The decor is wonderful but the food very expensive and I too, felt that the sauces which liberally covered the curries, could well have come from a can. We love our indian food and there are plenty to choose from in the area which are far better and cheaper than this one. We will not be returning to the Spice Merchant again..

4  Thank unhappyguest050

Reviewed 16 March 2014

So, what is good? The service, the decor, the pristine white table cloths, the location - right alongside the Thames, the accuracy of the ordered delivered compared to the items requested. And the location is great - right in the heart of town, an easy walk.

Most need of improvement? The accent of the waiter. Yep - I'm from the States and unaccustomed to an Indian accent, but - we were constant asking the waiter (Hasan) to repeat himself. And he spoke very, very quickly.

Prices:
£19.00 - Half Duck
£10.95 - Chicken Tikka Masala
£3.95 - Bottle of Water (same price for still and sparkling)
£0.90 - Three Chutney served with Popadum
£0.90 - Papadum
£3.95 - Rice, served with Duck and with Chicken Tikka
£6.95 - Minced Chicken - what is this? We did not order this, did we?

We ordered Nan, but it was not on the itemized ticket - maybe a mistake was made and we were instead charged for the Minced Chicken.

For a party of two, a service charge of 12.5% was automatically included - bad move, this should be my choice. Ironically, we would have tipped better - 20%.

My friend ordered duck, and seemed to enjoy it - his plate was clean.

I selected the Chicken Tikka Masala. If I were in the U.S., I would have been quite pleased as good Indian is difficult to find, but for the UK home of great Indian food, I have a higher expectation. It certainly was not bad. But, I expected my chicken to be red/orange completely through the meat. I expected a dish that just made me pause and say "Wow!". I thought to myself, this masala sauce could have been poured from a can.

4  Thank texas_forrest
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Living in Florida is not a great place for Indian food (or any other type!) so my 6 monthly trip to England always involves at least one meal at the Spice Merchant in Henley on Thames.
The spiced aubergine starter gets better every time. The last time in February 2014 I went with 7 friends which was 7 different starters and 7 different main courses not one of these 14 disappointed.
The price may not be the cheapest but one meal here is worth 4 in any of the other Indian restaurants in Henley and the service is also excellent. So if you miss this place you have made a big mistake.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have been going to Spice Merchant on Sunday of Henley Week / Festival since 2006 and think the food is very good, but it is strange how empty it is, most times I go. This year 2013 I ate on my own which is a bit eerie. Real napkins, nice hot food. They also do a boat trip with curry on board. Recommended if you like hot food and nice silver boaters with the food in.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

What a delightful experience this was, loved the atmosphere & ambiance, service could not have been better, food absolutely sublime......I am a huge fan of good Indian cuisine & this restaurant surpassed any other I have eaten in, stunning evening.