This hotel has a very high opinion of itself which, unfortunately, I do not share. We stayed for two nights in a superior room which had an enormous bed, sadly the bedding wasn't large enough for the mattress with the result that sheets and duvet just moved around at will. Breakfast was of lowly quality consisting of pre packaged cereal portions, curly edged cold meat and sweaty cheese. Dinner was, however, of a much worse variety! We wondered why we were the only diners and now we know - a 1960's menu presented to service station standards sums it up.
We were well treated when we complained, given free wine, a bottle of champagne, a free stay next year, but I doubt that we will take up the offer simply because it is so much better to stay in one of the many local B&Bs and eat in a good restaurant in town.
Our advice is to book B&B only and eat elsewhere as the hotel, despite its claims, does not offer fine dining (or even dining).
We visit Henley regularly to see our daughter and grandchildren, will we stay here again? No, unless they can prove that they have improved beyong recognition.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the River Thames and the tranquil green fields beyond, The Red Lion Hotel, Henley-on-Thames offers the most sought after location in the heart of one of Southern England's most beautiful and affluent market towns. It is also home to the most expensive home outside London.With four spacious banqueting and conference suites and thirty-nine individually designed bedrooms, each with its own unique history and character, The Red Lion offers over 600 years of experience in service to some of the country’s most prominent figures.Superbly located just two minutes from the market square, The Red Lion rests just five minutes from the Henley Railway Station and a short drive to the M4 and M40 motorways allowing for excellent access to London and the surrounding areasOur dining room offers an outstanding menu, using only the finest seasonal and local ingredients.Our unique wedding suites make this the ideal venue for weddings and civil ceremonies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Red Lion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Lion Hotel Henley-On-Thames
- Red Lion Henley On Thames
- Henley-On-Thames Red Lion