“A lovely stay”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We booked a one night break as advertised on Groupon. On arrival we were very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded free of charge to a Suite, this may have been due the hotel being quiet. The Suite appeared to be brand new, modern furnishings and lighting, a high very comfortable bed, and an antique style free standing bath in the bedroom and an immaculate bathroom with huge walk-in shower. The whole area was as warm as toast, supported by two large radiators and a heated towel rail and under floor heating in the bathroom and an air conditioning unit.
We had dinner in the restaurant and could not fault the food or service. We were offered a set menu which gave an excellent choice and were very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. The staff were attentive and friendly without being intrusive.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Groupon’s a strange and brilliant concept isn’t it? This was my first Groupon getaway and I must admit I was slightly nervous. The reasons for Groupon getaway deals appear to fall into a number of categories. 1. A brand new hotel that wants to kick-start its attendance 2. A property under new management, that wants to encourage new clientele, and 3. A run down flagging business that wants to capitalise on the discount website phenomenon by offering money off ‘real’ prices they could never hope to achieve on a normal day.
After staying at the The Red Lion I’m still not sure which category our weekend fell into – but I have my suspicions.
Let me say first off that The Red Lion is a beautiful old building. It’s steeped in history and is ideally located for the delights of Henley. Yes it’s by the main junction and it can be a little noisy but it’s not the M25. We stayed in room 204 which is right at the front of the hotel overlooking the Angel on the Water pub. The room was warm and had hot water and the beds (two pushed together) were comfortable enough. My first impression of the Red Lion was that it had been recently taken over, given a very small makeover and opened really quickly – I could be wrong but that’s what it seemed like. The staff were really friendly and were always willing to help but had an air of bemused confusion when you asked for anything, almost as if they’d never worked in the hotel industry before. I could go into long and lengthy detail and give a blow-by-blow account of the whole weekend, but instead it might be more useful to use bullet points, then maybe the management can write them down and use them in the future.
• Rustic is fine, but furniture tops should be perfect, polished and not peeling and worn.
• When I book a double room, I do expect a double bed, not two singles pushed together.
• When I mention this to the manager I don’t expect him to say ‘I didn’t know anything about this, I only know about things when people complain.’
• I expect the manager to know every nuance of the hotel he’s managing.
• I do expect the quilt supplied to be big enough to cover the two people sleeping in the two pushed-together beds, without one of them sleeping in the gap.
• I expect the TV to come with a remote control, and not have to wait 24 hours to get one because ‘We don’t have enough for all the rooms.’
• I don’t expect there to be drool marks over the silk cushions (God, I hope they were drool marks…)
• I expect the wardrobe to open without having to be jemmied with a spoon.
• When serving wine in an ice bucket, I expect to be provided with a cloth napkin to wipe the bottle – saves dripping it everywhere.
• I expect to be provided with cloth napkins not tissues.
• I expect there to be ‘Do Not Disturb/Please clean my room’ door hangers so your room will get cleaned before 2pm in the afternoon. (I don’t think it would have been cleaned at all if we hadn’t asked.)
• Have the proper utensils if your breakfast is self-service. Have you tried picking up a fried egg with a fork or dessertspoon?
I think that’s about it. Other points, the dinner was a bit bland with very inexperienced waiting staff who were nice but didn’t offer drinks unless asked and forgot to offer coffee at the end – little annoying things like that. Breakfast was great and erm… that’s about it. I find it really sad actually because this could be a magnificent place. The hotel is generally run down and needs a complete overhaul and refit. If I were the manager – I’d go around every room and note every little defect and try to do something about it. Having doors that fall off the hinges when you try to close them or cracked and broken windows is really unacceptable. Part of me thought, well you are getting a Groupon deal so what did you expect? But then just because you’re getting 60% off the price, does that mean you should expect 60% less from the actual hotel? I think not.
Henley is a lovely place and we still had a nice time but that time could have been better spent without the, sometimes comedic, schoolboy errors in the running of a hotel.
PS: If you’re still going to stay here, try to arrive before 11am when other guests are checking out – that way you may be lucky and get a parking space and not have to park up the road at Waitrose.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel seem to be better...
3  Thank LondonLozzza
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel and found it lovely. I do feel the need to put some good comments about it. It is such a shame sometimes that people only want to complain, and I don't know what people expect.
My only 'gripe' would be that at 13:30 our room wasn't ready -but it does say 14:00 so that's our problem.
The staff...yes from various countries...DO speak english, are very friendly and helpful. We felt very well looked after.
Several reviews here moan about cold rooms - ours was beautifully warm. Bed very comfortable, lovely good quality sheets. We always sleep with a window open - the hotel is on the corner of a main road in Henley so yes you can hear traffic - if you want quiet you need a hotel in the country :-)... all in all we had, lovely sleep.
We arrived downstairs for dinner - no not a Michelin Wyatt menu but adequate - had a per dinner drink and were escourted to our table where our meal was served straight away. The staff were attentive and caring. The food was most enjoyable.
For those who don't know, from a £ 129 groupon voucher the hotel will only get £65 less vat from that ....yes chroupon do very well! So for me I felt that we had good value for money and a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Moozy7
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The Red Lion has great potential. Good location and a very nice exterior to the building. Even on entering the reception and communal areas were pleasant and modern. However, potential is all it has. On current condition the Red Lion is extremely disappointing.

Our first problem came with the room which was unbelievably warm, even after turning the radiators off and opening the windows.

I, along with everybody else on here it seems, stayed here using the Groupon voucher. As such I wasn't expecting gourmet michelin star food piled high, but what I found unacceptable was having to wait 2 hours for the main course. The waiting staff didn't seem to have any clue and certainly had no guidance (starter plates were left there for 40 minutes). It wasn't even like the place was busy, when we arrived for dinner there were only two other couples. When we left (before the end of the meal) the dining room was packed with disgruntled customers who were hot, hungry and bemused.

We took our complaints to the duty manager, or communications director, or operations director, or plain manager depending on who you ask. He looked stressed and flustered by it all and explained that he was new himself. In the morning we found that he had refunded £50 on the bill, which wasn't really acceptable for a very bad meal and equally bad nights sleep. This was relayed to the receptionist who offered a complimentary stay (cheers for that) but then demanded that we pay for the drinks we had whilst waiting for our meal. When I explained that the only reason we had the drinks is because we had to wait so long for the meal he said that this was not a sufficient reason for a further refund. He was rude, abrupt and didn't seem to care. It was interesting to note that the couple in front of us did not have to pay for their drinks.

Overall poor service and a poor stay, but we did have fun for the rest of our stay in a very pretty part of the world!

4  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 18 February 2012

It is 0.15am as I type this . The disco downstairs is still going on. Do not book this hotel if you want warm water , decent service, edible food and of course some sleep

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank ConorPw
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Like many other people we were on a groupon deal. On arrival we were told there was no parking available so best find something on the road. I explained that we didn't really want 2 be up before 7 moving the car or paying money in a meter. They did eventually relent. Not before my partner had spent a long time looking for the car park which had been closed off.
We had our dog with us so took one of the court yard homes. 401. Be wary as these are basically garages turned into rooms. When I first arrived I could not find the bathroom as you go through the cupboards which is a bit odd.
The first evening I struggled to get enough water for a hot shower so had a tepid one. However In the morning it was fine. It seems some other guests have had an issue over the water. Also really strange that a small hotel has hard house blaring out on internal speakers in the public bathrooms. Not a complaint. Just odd.
Food was actually pretty good. Paid extra for the steak and it was fine. Nothing great but no complaints.
Biggest issue was lack of phone signal in the courtyard rooms and lack of wifi which I think
should be a given these days.
Overall quite happy but ladies on the desk need some customer training. Other staff were very helpful. Sadly a clock chimes on the hour every hour all through the night! Early night tonight.

Room Tip: Choose courtyard or old wing carefully. Both seem 2 have their issues but dogs are only allowed in t...
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We found, with the Group On voucher, that our stay was OK value for money. The location is lovely, the staff friendly and smart. We disliked the room in the car park as it was airless, overheated and tunnel-like; however, it was clean and well-supplied. The inclusive meal was mediocre and limited (apart from my partner's steak which came with a supplement and was tasty); the 'traditional prawn cocktail' gave us a laugh for the wrong reasons. The breakfast was good in the morning with a range of options and fresh fruit. The main hotel is stylish and nicely shabby chic in places.