“Better than expected - A lovely hotel”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel on Sat 4th March and were pleasantly surprised. After reading previous reviews were not sure what we had in store. We arrived to a full car park, but staff were on hand to move a few cars to create space for us, not ideal, but we managed to squeeze our car in the car park. Reception were great and we were given 109 a lovely room overlooking the river. The bathroom needed a few minor repairs but we did have hot water! The food was fresh and well presented and waiting staff although new provided an excellent service, very friendly and attentive. I would certainly stay here again, the hotel had a nice atmosphere and the pacakge was great value.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed on Sunday 4th March using a Groupon. I read all the reviews and thought i was in for a hell of a time.

I'm pleased to say we had a really good time and we were more than satisfied with the hotel.

Things to point out:

Yes the car park is small - i still managed to park my 4x4. Turn up early if you can't park in small spaces.

I asked reception if there was any chance of an upgrade and we got one. No extra charge. If you dont ask you dont get. We were in room 109. Huge room, huge bed and decent size bathroom.

As for heating...the raditors were turned off. I turned them on and the room was hot in next to no time. I advise previous trip advisor reviewers to learn how to turn on rads. We had hot running water too.

We ate in the hotel and again couldnt fault the dinner or breakfast.

The hotel was full and there were lots of staff.

Yes the road was a bit nosy first thing on a monday morning. I would expect nothing else.

All in all, this is a good hotel in a great location. Sounds like some people have had a bad experience but maybe they were expecting a county house or a standard hotel chain where everthing is the same.

We've stayed in many hotels and I'd happily recommend this one. And if you're using a groupon its a bargain.

Get there early ask for upgrade and enjoy it.........dont moan

Room Tip: Room 109. Great views of river.
2  Thank SLJF
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Excellent value trip with Groupon.

This hotel is an old classic, and has had some improvements over the years.
I imagine some of the rooms are dated, by ours (110) was very nice and traditional. The bathroom was ok, could do with updating, and indeed we suffered from luke warm water. However, I have been assured that this is being resolved in the next 10 days.

I, like many others, booked the DB&B Groupon deal for £129 - amazing value. The room alone is usually that price! The dinner menu is usually around £7 starter, £14 main and £6 dessert - but was included in our stay. I had a lovely chicken salad, then pasta for main.
It was my girlfriends birthday, and as requested, they put a candle in her dessert - a lovely touch.
The breakfast was a buffet, but nice enough and replenished when needed. Cooked eggs, bacon, mushroom, sausages and black pudding, pastries, fresh fruit, juices, tea and coffee. Toast upon seating.

A note on the staff - they have had a recent overhaul with virtually all staff only being there a week or two as at start March. This has had a great effect - excellent and polite service, really helpful, so top marks there to the new staff.

If you know the area or not, this is prime Henley riverside. I come here for the Regatta, and this hotel is an icon of the area. It is a little worn in places, but the dining room was nice, as were the 2 lounges and the snug bar.

All in all, the negative comments should decrease from now I imagine - just check they have resolved the hot water issue! Great for a quiet getaway and walk along the river, although not much to do in Henley itself, so be prepared for the peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask politely for a nice room, and you might get one! Room 110 had 2 windows facing the river, with r...
Reviewed 5 March 2012

As the previous reviewer has said, this hotel was NOT as bad as other reviews have made out, and they really don' t deserve the harsh criticism received on here. We were staying on the Groupon deal, as seemingly a lot of other guests last weekend were too. We were placed in one of the Boathouse rooms which was pleasant enough, nice decor, clean and one of the comfiest beds and duvets I have ever slept on/under! On the downside, the window DOES over look the car park which isn't great, there was a hole in the duvet cover, the walls are paper thin (which wasn't great for us as next door seemed to require the TV on in the evening and early sunday morning - it might as well have been on in our room) and no hot water in the evening which is poor. However, on complaining about this to reception, the operations manager Oliver did apologise before explaining the situation to us (old boiler system basically, which is due to be fixed starting today) and offered us £50 towards our bill which we were satisfied with. After dinner, we returned to our room to find a bottle of complimentary champagne which was a gesture they didn't have to do do and it was much appreciated ( perhaps we received it because we made no unreasonable demands on the manager unlike previous guests?)
The atmosphere in the lovely dinning room was good, service did seem perhaps a little haphazard (guests really should be seated rather than seat themselves - we ended up having our starters arriving before our drinks which would have been avoided if drinks orders were taken when seated) the food was lovely and my husband said it was the best pasta dish he had ever eaten!!
Breakfast was buffet style, great selection but again there really should be someone to seat guests and explain how it worked. I think it's just some basic training required for the very polite, friendly staff, as we did see one couple being told to "sit anywhere" and then after placing themselves on a table for four, were asked to move when a party of four came down for breakfast, which in my opinion was a bit rude!
So hopefully you can see that with a few minor issues tightened up with the staff and the hot water sorted out, this hotel is really lovely. The location is ideal and we would both return ourselves and recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Scarlettlily101
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I'm not overly fussy when it comes to hotels but I would think twice about staying in a shed in the car park which was what happened when we stayed at the Red Lion a couple of weeks ago.

Perhaps rooms in the main hotel are better but 407 suffered from a lack of hot water, a door that fitted in its door frame, heat, sheets without holes and a remote control. What it didn't lack was a 3.30am arrival of clean laundry, in a metal trolley, being dragged across the gravel car park (that we hadn't been able to park our car in) to the garage next to our room.

Dinner. What can I say about dinner? A buffet is a buffet and although unexpected, it was edible. The main oddity regarding dinner was that no-one seemed to know what was going on (staff and visitors). Our drink order was taken after we had been served our starter and bread roll (in that order), there was no clue as to what was in the heated buffet trays and no sign of coffee at all!

Breakfast. Farce.

Check out. Not charged for the wine we finally drank at dinner. Result.

Like other reviews of the Red Lion have said, this should be a great hotel but we got the feeling that management don't feel the need to either train their staff or attend to guests' needs. The great location has maybe dulled the customer service ethic.

Acoss the bridge, the Little Angel pub was lovely and the food looked amazing. I know where we'll be going next time.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara_Saul
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I walked into this quaint old lady of a hotel and was instantly charmed with the lovely old flagstones and the tasteful decor. Having read some of the previous reports on here, I was worried about what we'd find and I can only come to the conclusion that there is NO pleasing some people.
We too were on the Groupon scheme and were perfectly satisfied with the food - not loads of choice but enough and the ambience was lovely at dinner.
The bed linen appeared to be of a high quality, freshly clean and pressed and the room was warm and cosy.
It really irritates me when people use Tripadvisor to 'have a vent' when they're perhaps having a bad day - sure if a hotel is shockingly bad then fair enough but we really felt that the vast majority of the comments on here are hugely unjustified. We had a fab weekend away and would go to the Red Lion again any day!

Room Tip: Room 201 is pretty good, overlooking the bridge etc.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I saw this amazing wedding deal on groupon, so I decided to go to the hotel for a show around. Spoke to events manager jaz, who was excellent and made us feel very welcome even though we didn't book an appointment...
He ran through how a wedding would work in the hotel and showed us where our wedding meal and reception would be. He also sat with us and went through breakdowns and really wanted to cater a wedding that WE wanted. Not like many places where it is their way or no way.. I got say me and my fiancé have been to many hotels to find a venue, and we are sooooooo happy we found this stunning hotel... Many thanks jaz and look forward to working with you to help organise our special day!!!!

Would recommend the red lion hotel, can't wait for our special day...

• Stayed: January 2012