“Very Disappointing”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had booked a room with a large double bed 3 months before (confirmed and accepted in writing|) and arrived to be given a cramped standard double in a room that resembled a converted shed in the parking area! The hotel said they could not swap us around but gave a 50% discount but only because we had documentary evidence!

Generally the service was amateurish with hassled staff and invisible management - well there was someone there who actively avoided any contact with guests!

Not an enjoyable stay unfortunately as the position right by the river is fantastic. The hotel was obviously once quite splendid but the current owners seem to be avoiding any form of investment in its upkeep. What a shame. Whatever you do, don't spend £150 to stay here there are many better options and we now gather, some fabulous B&B's!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DicknDan

Reviewed 22 September 2013

From arrival the staff seemed uninterested in their guests. My partner is 8 months pregnant and no one offered to help with our bags.
The room was OK and reasonably well appointed but the bed was extremely hard and lumpy.

When we went to bed, I noticed that the pillows and duvet were feather (I'm allergic to feathers). Not a problem as hotels always have spare duvets. I went to reception to be told that they don't have any non-feather bedclothes and that I should have told them when we booked. No alternative was offered. When I said "What should I do? Sleep with no covers?" I was met with a shrug of the shoulders.

For the £145 room charge I expected much more. Next time I'll stay in a Travel Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rilot
Reviewed 16 September 2013

'Who'er has travelled lives dull round
Wher'er his stage may have been
May sigh to think he still has found
The warmest welcome at an Inn'

That is exactly what was found after a day driving UK the Australian way!
Front desk could not have been more helpful. After a tour of available rooms, some of which set the hairs on my arms standing up right, rooms 110 & another 'just up the way' for my driving chum were procured.
A deal done

If creaking floor boards and a love of History is not to your liking read no further

If it is, continue

Room 110 is spacious with windows opening to a river view, rowers and/or ducks serenely paddling at what ever time you gaze out.
The dresser has secret drawers, think about all those who have hidden treasures there.
Steaming hot shower-over bath-in a sizeable bathroom
I do wonder how Queen Charlotte completed her toilette, reputably, in the same spot

The Red Lion Restaurant, in a small white tabled clothed spot, is top notch
Smiling Spanish waiter risked wrath from the chef as we requested his special pate TWO nights in a row'

Henley is a delightful village. The month of May welcomed,inclusive of Pimms at the pub with my companions 4 new teddys from the Bear shop just 'up the way.

To conclude
I Recommend rooms with a river view
For those who seek deep & dark, rooms with grave yard view
In addition the the 2/3 'boat shed' rooms at the bottom of the carpark These have been modernised and accommodate a bed and free standing Tub in a compact space.

Always "do a deal" and fill your glass with BlueBells

Room Tip: Deal with the Inn directly in order to negotiate daily tariff
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were offered a wooden room in the car park to start with. It was dirty, smelled damp and was poky. It reminded me of the garden sheds that some immigrants in Hounslow apparently live in. Following my complaint we were offered a second room, again in the car park, but at least it was brick-built. It was dirty and poky but smelled less of damp. Dirty and shabby bathroom. The breakfast service was chaotic.

We were very disappointed indeed. I have stayed in far better places for less than half the £109 we paid. I have never previously felt moved to comment on tripadviser. Give this awful hotel a miss.

Room Tip: Don't allow them to give you a room in the car park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank NKRSmith
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Red Lion is a slightly old fashioned hotel in a period building. The staff are very helpful, the breakfast was good and if you get the right bedroom you get views across the river. the bedroom I had was a little eccentric in layout as I had to go up some stairs to the en suite bathroom. Beware, the hotel is close to a busy junction controlled by traffic lights and so in the morning if you face the river be prepared for a lot of traffic noise from 7 a.m.

Room Tip: River view rooms get ttraffic noise in morning
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We booked here last minute due to a change of boating palns caused by the weather. This was the only place we could get a room at short notice so that tells you something. The stay was okay but not great for the £140 per night we spent on a room with breakfast. The rooms are decorated in an antique, period style. For antique you could write old and musty wardrobes. This is not my style as I prefer more cleaner, modern lines but if olde worlde is your thing...

When we got to the room, we belatedly realised they had feather duvets and pillows to which my wife is allergic. Instead of changing them, they moved us to a different room. Bizarre!

The whole hotel has a rather dated and tired feel about the place although the staff were friendly enough.

Breakfast is adequate but not inspiring. There is a buffet for cold items but cooked items have to be ordered and are brought to your table; fairly good though.

My advice would be to go elsewhere. This was £50 more than the room was worth; not good value for maney but then they do have the great location right by Henley bridge. I would have preferred Milsoms, which has the Loch Fyne attached.

Room Tip: Try Milsoms in the High Street
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Prophet9963
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights over the Bank Holiday weekend. I reported 2 things, one unacceptable, to reception on departure so I'll refrain from adding them to this review in the hope that they'll put them right. It's a lovely old building and very convenient for the river and Henley shops. Plenty of restaurants close at hand. Most of the furnishings need a good clean or replacing. The carpets are in a poor state and the towels in the bathroom are more suitable for ex-foliating than drying. The bed was comfy but I wasn't inclined to see what state the mattress was in. It's just very tired and needs some money spending on it. Won't book again until I hear it's had a refurbish.

Room Tip: Unlikely to find a better than average room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple