“Dreadful: hot, dirty and seedy.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Red Lion Hotel
Swanage
“Dreadful: hot, dirty and seedy.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night, Room 405 on courtyard. Room stank of air freshened, bathroom extractor fan didn't work, small dank room. Bathroom was filthy too. One electric socket didn't work, another was taped up. Very cold to start, ie we froze getting ready for party. Heating came on at 9pm, full blast, and stayed on all night making room insufferably hot. We couldn't turn radiator down as control valve was missing. Breakfast too was appalling; eggs had obviously been sitting around as I could take the top off my fried egg like a plastic cover, yuk! To cap all this payment was taken on arrival so no scope for negotiation THEN they charge you £10 to park your car in the hotel car park.

Stayed March 2014
8 Thank Sally J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Kirby Muxloe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I made a reservation over the phone for a one night stay. When I checked in, they could not find my reservation. They had rooms available so they gave me a room key, charged me for the room and parking (had to be paid upfront).

Later I reviewed my bank statement and saw I was charged twice on the day of my checkout, once for the room rate and once for the room rate plus parking. I rang the hotel and spoke to someone who insisted that I'd only been charged once. I explained about the lost reservation and asked if there was a no-show charge that day that could be for my lost reservation. She said there wasn't. I asked her to review all the charges on that day to find the second charge. She agreed to do so and call or email me what she'd found. I received no email or phone call. I received no refund.

I rang again yesterday and to my frustration the woman who answered the phone could barely speak/understand English enough to take a message to have the manager ring me. But credit where credit is due: the manager did ring me, and within 24 hours found the double charge and rang me again to tell me they were refunding it.

Turns out they got my first name wrong when I rang to reserve the room in the first place and the second charge was a no-show charge with my surname, different first name, same card.

One annoying thing that happened during my stay: in the afternoon, two of my coworkers and I needed to join a conference call. I asked if we could use one of the empty meeting rooms, and the person at the front desk suggested that we instead use the lounge, since no one was in there. Well within 30 minutes, the lounge was full of people who were having afternoon tea. The sound of the people talking and the background music made it very hard to hear and participate. I also felt really bad for the people who had booked in for afternoon tea and had to listen to our conference call. Surely if you work the front desk, which is right in front of the lounge, you'd know what time afternoon tea starts and therefore not recommend that people use that room for a conference call immediately before that time?!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LoRo1234

Travellers are raving about these Henley-on-Thames hotels

Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We held our wedding there and the attention to detail was amazing. When some of our guest did not like the starter they were offered another choice with hesitation at no extra cost. The wedding planner looked after us all day and night long nothing was to much trouble. Everyone felt at ease throughout the day and the wedding pictures we took by the river just made our day complete. The bedrooms we had for the night were spotless and for the smokers in our party there were even a covered smokers area. In the morning there was a wide choice of breakfast that suited everyone. I am so glad there was a lion outside because the hotel gave us a roaring day. Thank you for making our wedding day so special.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Chertsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel , with a very nice and friendly staff , most of the rooms are very nice , some are even better than that , but its a bit let down by the lack of attention to detail and a rather skimpy provision of necessities, I mean Milk , Tea, Coffee , soaps and shampoos, there is no water provided in the room , no fridge , we only just scrapped by keep asking reception for top ups,(which they provided happily ) ..surly some fresh drinking water is a must , and two little sachets of milk is just not enough, breakfast just about gets away with it as well, only Mothers Pride style bread available (yuk).....overall I enjoyed the relaxed unhassled atmosphere ...but with a little more generosity in guest provision ..it could have been a brilliant experience ( £10 parking charge )

Room Tip: don't take the four poster rooms, 101-103... they have no carpets, and have a constant humming o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian K
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I entertained some Germans for 1 night in this hotel. Total number of 9 people with a conference and private dinner.
The meeting room is very nice and reflects the ambience of this very old hotel. A nice view over the Thames makes business so much easier. The same room was transformed after the meeting into a private dining room and the waiters did a great job looking after us. The food was gorgeous and all members of my party were impressed with the quality of the dinner.
The rooms were very pretty / old but funtional, typical British..... good bathrooms and very spacious beds.
the only niggle was the bar, which could be better staffed to get served quicker, but then again...it is only a small niggle...
Thanks for making my event an evening we will not forget.

Room Tip: Choose room 206.... Wow factor, but you will hear the noise from the road in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Hotel and staff very welcoming. character room with comfortable bed and tea making. However we were not encouraged to stay for the evening meal as they were busy with a large wedding party some guests spilled outside to smoke and at midnight shouted and swore then a dozen men thought it funny to drop pants and wave their manhood about and some tried to light the gas from their rears! One was a pilot! Staff did after half an hour persuade them to stop not before they had mooned the other guests. I would go back however. BMC

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights on 27th Feb-2nd March. We found the staff very friendly, the food was lovely and good choice, bedrooms very pleasant, ours overlooked the river which was nice.
We had booked this hotel with a very large group just over 60 of us and we have been looked after extremly well.
We will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
Hotel du Vin
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#6 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!