“Wedding guests”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We booked family here for our wedding and everyone was delighted with their rooms.The package included champagne and strawberries which was a nice touch and surprised our guests.would recommend based on family feedback and we had booked 6 rooms!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked a standard double room for me and my partner, and to our surprise the receptionist upgrade our room to a four poster bed with a river view, its a nice gesture from them and a surprise for my partner since its our anniversary. The room is splendid, too much character, since the hotel is build during 16th century, you find a portion of history on this hotel. I cant comment for the dinner because we had dinner at villa marina which is fabulous. Breakfast is okey. Over all, we enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andreia205
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our son's wedding reception was recently held here and most family and friends stayed at the hotel, including a large Irish contingent. Our overall experience was good, but one member of staff on reception (a very young lady) needs some serious training in customer service - she was surly and everything was too much trouble. The bar staff, however, and Anna, in parficular, were very good. The hotel manageress too, although very helpful was difficult to understand due to her heavy foreign accent. The rooms in this hotel are large and comfortable. We had no trouble sleeping despite being on the front of the hotel overlooking the main road. The blind in the bathroom fronting the main street was badly torn though and needs replacing. However, the facilities are generally excellent. Breakfast was shockingly bad. It was cold and there was very little choice altogether. Not a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lauran1902
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here last night, Room 405 on courtyard. Room stank of air freshened, bathroom extractor fan didn't work, small dank room. Bathroom was filthy too. One electric socket didn't work, another was taped up. Very cold to start, ie we froze getting ready for party. Heating came on at 9pm, full blast, and stayed on all night making room insufferably hot. We couldn't turn radiator down as control valve was missing. Breakfast too was appalling; eggs had obviously been sitting around as I could take the top off my fried egg like a plastic cover, yuk! To cap all this payment was taken on arrival so no scope for negotiation THEN they charge you £10 to park your car in the hotel car park.

Stayed: March 2014
8  Thank Sally J
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I made a reservation over the phone for a one night stay. When I checked in, they could not find my reservation. They had rooms available so they gave me a room key, charged me for the room and parking (had to be paid upfront).

Later I reviewed my bank statement and saw I was charged twice on the day of my checkout, once for the room rate and once for the room rate plus parking. I rang the hotel and spoke to someone who insisted that I'd only been charged once. I explained about the lost reservation and asked if there was a no-show charge that day that could be for my lost reservation. She said there wasn't. I asked her to review all the charges on that day to find the second charge. She agreed to do so and call or email me what she'd found. I received no email or phone call. I received no refund.

I rang again yesterday and to my frustration the woman who answered the phone could barely speak/understand English enough to take a message to have the manager ring me. But credit where credit is due: the manager did ring me, and within 24 hours found the double charge and rang me again to tell me they were refunding it.

Turns out they got my first name wrong when I rang to reserve the room in the first place and the second charge was a no-show charge with my surname, different first name, same card.

One annoying thing that happened during my stay: in the afternoon, two of my coworkers and I needed to join a conference call. I asked if we could use one of the empty meeting rooms, and the person at the front desk suggested that we instead use the lounge, since no one was in there. Well within 30 minutes, the lounge was full of people who were having afternoon tea. The sound of the people talking and the background music made it very hard to hear and participate. I also felt really bad for the people who had booked in for afternoon tea and had to listen to our conference call. Surely if you work the front desk, which is right in front of the lounge, you'd know what time afternoon tea starts and therefore not recommend that people use that room for a conference call immediately before that time?!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank LoRo1234
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We held our wedding there and the attention to detail was amazing. When some of our guest did not like the starter they were offered another choice with hesitation at no extra cost. The wedding planner looked after us all day and night long nothing was to much trouble. Everyone felt at ease throughout the day and the wedding pictures we took by the river just made our day complete. The bedrooms we had for the night were spotless and for the smokers in our party there were even a covered smokers area. In the morning there was a wide choice of breakfast that suited everyone. I am so glad there was a lion outside because the hotel gave us a roaring day. Thank you for making our wedding day so special.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel , with a very nice and friendly staff , most of the rooms are very nice , some are even better than that , but its a bit let down by the lack of attention to detail and a rather skimpy provision of necessities, I mean Milk , Tea, Coffee , soaps and shampoos, there is no water provided in the room , no fridge , we only just scrapped by keep asking reception for top ups,(which they provided happily ) ..surly some fresh drinking water is a must , and two little sachets of milk is just not enough, breakfast just about gets away with it as well, only Mothers Pride style bread available (yuk).....overall I enjoyed the relaxed unhassled atmosphere ...but with a little more generosity in guest provision ..it could have been a brilliant experience ( £10 parking charge )

Room Tip: don't take the four poster rooms, 101-103... they have no carpets, and have a constant humming o...