“Good ambiance but needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
“Good ambiance but needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Pleasant and well decorated but with some outdated facilities. Only one plug by the bed so you need to unplug the lamp to charge your phone. Bathroom equipment rather dated and rather small TV for a hotel in this price range.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lewys J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Hampshire UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for one night, glad it wasn't any longer. We were asked to pay for the room upon arrival, a first for us. No wonder as I would think they might find it hard to get people to pay after seeing the room. The first thing I saw upon entering the room was a very stained armchair, it would have been better not to have had one in there. The carpet was very old and dirty and the bedcover left a lot to be desired.
I went to have a bath in the morning, there was no plug. So decided to have a shower which was in semi darkness as the bulb was broken. The water kept stopping and then coming out cold.
The manager 'does not work at weekends' my friend was told. Well one wonders what he/she does do when they are at work as they certainly don't pay attention to detail.
A great shame as it is a beautiful building in a great position and could be absolutely first class if it was well run.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JaneHants

Travellers are raving about these Henley-on-Thames hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

£150 to sleep in a tiny, tiny and roasting hot room in a car park, with nothing but noise outside from 6:30am, is pretty much the reason I can't recommend this hotel.

Location - there's a tonne of hotels within two minutes of this hotel that are just as convenient.

Price - there's a tonne of hotels within two minutes that are half of the price of the red lion.

Honestly, I am not fussy, but this place was dire

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Philipstorey
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. On arrival staff very friendly and check in was quick. I had the red lion room, not very big but big enough with a fantastic view up the Thames and the Angel pub. It is a very nice hotel, old, very we'll kept, although a little rough around the edges. Bed very comfy although the extractor fan in the bathroom very noisy and needs replacing. The dinner menu you don't get a lot of choice, needs revamping. Breakfast is a buffet affair with enough choice for everyone, served in the Thames room. The staff were all friendly and helpful and could not do enough for me.
Would recommend staying here, it is a beautiful building, full of history.
The only thing I can fault this hotel on is the water pressure is very low, and the hot wart does not last long.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank colandally
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The staff here have little clue - no training it would appear. I felt like I needed to help them dort the most basics out... from ho to make porridge to how to take an order (and I aint in the hotel industry)

Its clear no-one check the rooms regularly - my room had a mis functioning shower and an iron who's flex was worn through to the cables in 2 places. The Wifi is also very very 'flaky' to say the least.

Avoid this place if you possibly can. Only positive is the view from breakfast room (breakfast itself not great)

Room Tip: Not 103... no sunlight !