“Smelly cramped room with undersized bed!”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
wiltshire
“Smelly cramped room with undersized bed!”
Reviewed 31 October 2009

What a huge disappointment! We arrived at the time specified, were kept waiting over 20 minutes (whilst the receptionist, firstly thought to be in the loo, but then appeared to have gone walkabout..) . The room was then not ready and so we were assured our luggage would be there on our return. The room turned out to be a shed that was smelly, hot and with 4ft bed. the luggage had not been placed and the porter said was too busy to bring it over! Disabled parking so small had to get out of car before parking and driver had to wriggle out! A depressing place highly over priced.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WiltshireMandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Portsmouth
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I booked this hotel based on it not being the cheapest in Henley and expected a great deal more from viewing the website. While the room was clean and the bathroom looked modern, the overall impression was very shabby. The TV was a 12" portable at least 20 years past its sell-by date. Very poor picture and only 4 channels. The lining of the curtains was literally in tatters. I had to ask reception for milk as there was none provided in the room. For £115 per night I was very disa[ppointed especially as the room overlooked the tatty carpark which was very tight for parking.

I noticed the 'boathouse' rooms mentioned by someone else. These are in the car park and do indeed look like garden sheds.

They indicated food could be ordered from the restaurant as room service but the menu was so small, only 3 starters and mains and was expensive with 12.5% service charge on top. Nothing appealed to me. Good job, as there was no chair or table to eat at. I would have had to sit on the bed to eat.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at these prices. Travelodge and Premier Inn offer far more at much lower prices.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank white0wl

Travellers are raving about these Henley-on-Thames hotels

uk
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here when we travelled down from liverpool for the 80s Rewind Festival August 09, we stayed what was discribed as" The Boat House" which looks nice on the website but is in fact a dark dingy room , small and claustrophobic, we had to leave the main door open as we felt closed in, the window blind was old and broken the room itself was ok but not for what we paid which was £148.00 for one night inc breakfast, this was loveley, in a comfortable dining room in the main part of the hotel, our room is converted sheds which are not what they are advertised and does not look anything like it does on the website in the flesh, the Hotel itself needs attention at the rear , parking is very tight and the "courtyard" id cluttered and tatty, for a Hotel in a prime spot and with historical background like this one has there is room for improvement, we met with the manager before we left and expressed our concerns and wrote it in a letter which he said he would show to the owner, we have never heard anything since, no offer of a partial refund etc, all i know is we would not stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone, i think they just cashed in on the fact the festival was on.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mummyUk
Kent, England, U.K.
Reviewed 23 September 2009

My (edited) e-mail to the management, to which there has so far (3 days) been no reply, tells the story:
". . . I had booked a double room for Saturday September 19th. because my wife and I were attending a family celebration at the excellent Villa Marina, opposite the Red Lion. The location meant that we would have time to enjoy a visit to Henley before the event, and be able to drink and dance until the end of the party without driving or taxi worries.
We arrived at the hotel and stood at the reception desk for a good five minutes while at least four staff members searched, apparently in vain, for a hold-all missing from another guest's luggage. I at last attracted the attention of a young woman who checked her computer for my name. She told me that there was a water leak in our bathroom, which the plumbers were even as we spoke trying and failing to deal with. She produced a small-scale map with a blue line showing the route to the White Hart in Nettlebed, and told us that we were to be put up there. She asked if we had a car - I wonder what would have happened if we had not - and told us to use the map to find our alternative accommodation. There was a perfunctory apology and a distinct "take it or leave it" attitude. When I pointed out our reasons for wanting a room in Henley, the receptionist offered to book a taxi to bring us from Nettlebed in time for the party. I was grateful, but stupidly believed that this would be a return booking and at the hotel's expense. This belief was corrected when the driver asked for his fare later. To be sure of a ride back, I had to commit to a time, which meant that we had to leave the party before it ended, and the combined fares, excluding the tip, came to £25.
I am obviously expecting that you will compensate me for the taxi fares, which are concrete and would have been unnecessary had the hotel fulfilled its responsibilities to me. I do not expect compensation for the less quantifiable matters, such as the spoiled day out, the disappointment and the curtailed participation in the party."
There has been no acknowledgement of my complaint, let alone compensation. Some may suspect the 'leaky bathroom' story; I wish I had demanded to see the room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ColinCats
U.S.
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Despite what others say, we really liked this place. We paid 95 pounds for a last-minute checkin room overlooking the Thames (including breakfast. Breakfast was fantastic. Not enormous portions (which we liked). Free internet. Beautiful little bar and great sitting rooms if you need to get some work done. Right in the heart of town. Close to a great running/biking/walking trail that goes for miles and miles along the Thames. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. Very comfy bed.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We first stayed here about 4 years ago and loved the place. However, they have since added the 'Boat Houses' - oh dear

We were given a boat house room which I gather are a fairly new addition. Well, garden shed would describe them better, and a small sheds at that. The shower needs to be run for about 5 minutes before the hot water reaches from the main hotel so be patient. Beware - sound travels very well in garden sheds and you will share your conversations and experiences in the sheds with everyone else who is staying there too .....

Breakfast is a typical buffet style which is inoffensive but lacks the style we were expecting

Great location though, right on the river and perfect if you enjoy campanology as it is next to the church

Disappointed so we'll try somewhere else next time

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 4 September 2009

One to avoid at all costs. The room marketed to us a double was in fact two sigle beds pushed together (not even fastened together). When lying on the bed they parted like the Red Sea causing us to disappear through the gap. The room did have a river view as described but it also overlooked a very busy road junction. Traffic starts at 06:00 prompt making any further sleep impossible. The bathroom had not been cleaned, shower still filthy from previous occupents as was the wc. The in room tea/coffee cups had not been cleaned from the previous user, merely rinsed out. The furniture in the room is long passed its best, dilapidated is a good description.
After a protracted talk with the manager the room rate was adjusted from £135 to £95. As we had informed the manager we would not be taking breakfast this reduction did not amount to very much. Even at this rate it is still overpriced.
I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thames2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
Hotel du Vin
Henley Business School
Henley Business School
#4 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!