“Disappointing”
Review of Maison Blanc - CLOSED

Maison Blanc
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Maison Blanc is an artisan bakery renowned for its speciality breads, freshly baked pastries, seasonal menu and of course world famous cakes and patisserie - all handmade to perfection and simply bursting with seasonal flavour.We're passionate about serving innovative, charming and authentically French food that leaves our customers craving for more. Our core value is Tradition et Qualite which remains at the heart of everything we do from sourcing the finest and freshest ingredients, to the creation of our recipes and presentation of our food.Originally created in Oxford in 1980, we were the first authentic patisserie in England. We now serve a little slice of France in 14 locations around London and the South. Our cafes are the perfect place for a rendez-vous with family and friendsWe adopt a joie-de vie attitude and believe that life should be enjoyed one delicate macaroon at a time.
Woking, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stopped off in Henley for a quick bite to eat mid-afternoon and decided to choose Maison Blanc (there's plenty of choice in the centre of town and we thought it would be nice to try a new place rather than go for one of our usual "coffee shop haunts"). The offerings on the menu were quite appealing but we were rather disappointed w/ the quality of the food. The lettuce on my plate was not at all fresh (brown edges on all the pieces) and I noticed some sort of slimy goo on the underside of one of the baguette pieces. We called the waitress over and she dealt with my concerns very politely and willingly. My food was served a second time, with fresh lettuce on the side, a couple of baby toms but, this time, no sign of any cucumber. The baguette sandwich was nothing to write home about - I had expected something rather yummy, having chosen the goat's cheese, courgette, tomato and shredded mint option. The 2 mint leaves were more squashed together than shredded, and stuck at very edge of the baguette. It was clear that the food had been hurriedly slapped together. My companion found his food to be just OK and not very plentiful - in contradiction with the description of it on the menu ("overstuffed" sandwich).
Service was good.
Would not go there again.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
I am very sorry to hear about how disappointing the food was overall, I have passed this feedback on to our chef. Our new menu has just started this week however and alongside it a full training for the team will be undertaken, which will ensure consistently high standards. We also have a new supplier for our salad leaves, which are now of a much better quality.

Thank for your lovely comments about service, I will pass this on to the team, they will be delighted to hear this.

I hope to see you again soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Adequate resting place”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stopped off here for brunch last weekend with two friends after a full morning of cycling through Oxfordshire. It seemed like the most popular cafe in the town centre, so we thought we'd give it a try for a drink before the journey back home. There is nowhere outside to tie a bike up and lock it, however there is outdoor seating so we simply stacked the bikes against the wall beside the table.

Cakes in the window looked great, and one must order at the bar - however service is fast. One of the waitresses was really friendly, however another waiter was rather bland and untalkative: which I suppose balances the service out.

Both friends enjoyed their pastries, and coffee was reportedly pretty good. However my "French Onion Soup" seemed a little less "French" and a little more just "water with onions". Far from the best soup I've had, and I definitely expected a lot better considering the price. Other friend disliked his smoothie and ordered a coke as replacement; I sampled said smoothie afterwards and it was bland tasting with a sickly texture: seeming to be an extremely well-watered pile of every fruit one can name.

All in all the place, whilst by no means unpleasant, is certainly not somewhere I would return to eat after this experience. A shame my soup and the smoothie did not live up to the expectations set by the premise of the premises.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you very much Simon for your feedback,

Please receive my apologies for the onion soup first of all. Our onion soup has always received the best praises and I am very sorry to hear it wasn’t up to our usual standards that day. I will feed this back to the kitchen so that they make the improvement necessary. Regarding the smoothie on the other hand, this is a feedback that we have received before and we have changed our entire range on the back of this. Our new smoothie flavours, strawberry, peach and mango are available since Monday alongside our new menu.

Thank you also for your feedback on about the waitressing staff as well, I will pass on your comments to both of them.

I would be delighted if you could try us again.

Kidmore End, United Kingdom
“Not the best coffee house in Henley”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Took my daughter there for coffee and oh dear not an easy thing to do! Stood at the counter for quite some time waiting to be served and were not even acknowledged. We ate a sample of 'pink' cake (which was on a plate by the tills) and it was definitely the worst piece of cake I have ever tasted to which the waitress said 'oh that's probably a bit dry as it's been there since 9 o'clock'...this same waitress then told us to sit down and wait to be served...so we waited again....5 minutes later she took our order......we waited again...........almost walked out as such a long wait this time........daughter hates coffee and had ordered chocolate milk only to be presented with a coffee milk.........she took it back to the counter and they did apologise and exchanged for a chocolate milk which she said was nice but it needed to be at £3.65! Oh well, we had a nice chat but I don't think I'll be going back!

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.

I would like to apologise for the slow service you had with us as well as the mistake when taking your order. The cake you had shouldn't have been left to dry out, please receive my apologies for this as well. I will have a meeting with the team to cover all of this.
I am glad however your daughter enjoyed her chocolate milk, and I will forward on your comment regarding the price.

I hope you will give us a chance again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice place, lovely waitress!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a very nice place in a super town. Special mention for Carla who is always so friendly and helpful!

• Visited May 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Brunch outing with daughter”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Went for brunch with my daughter today - wanted a nice environment to catch up. Enjoyed the full breakfast, toast, coffee followed by a pastry.

First impressions excellent; manager opened the door for us whilst holding a tray and I was battling to get my umbrella down.

Waitstaff very attentive and helpful - several different staff asked how were were doing throughout our stay.

Our waiter, young man with long hair (tied back) and neatly trimmed beard was friendly, polite, knowledgeable and provided excellent service.

Very enjoyable couple of hours and we will go back again shortly.

Thank you.