“Best sausage roll in the world?”
Review of Maison Blanc - CLOSED

Maison Blanc
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Maison Blanc is an artisan bakery renowned for its speciality breads, freshly baked pastries, seasonal menu and of course world famous cakes and patisserie - all handmade to perfection and simply bursting with seasonal flavour.We're passionate about serving innovative, charming and authentically French food that leaves our customers craving for more. Our core value is Tradition et Qualite which remains at the heart of everything we do from sourcing the finest and freshest ingredients, to the creation of our recipes and presentation of our food.Originally created in Oxford in 1980, we were the first authentic patisserie in England. We now serve a little slice of France in 14 locations around London and the South. Our cafes are the perfect place for a rendez-vous with family and friendsWe adopt a joie-de vie attitude and believe that life should be enjoyed one delicate macaroon at a time.
High Wycombe
“Best sausage roll in the world?”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Went with my wife the other day and had the most delicious Sausage Roll I've ever had, worth going just for that!

Vies with Patisserie Valerie for best cakes in town, Maison Blanc does a coffee eclair to die for.

Only doesn't get 5 stars because their tea is so weak and had an unpleasant muddy tang to it

Visited June 2014
1 Thank pc99pc
Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words - our homemade sausage roll made by following an authentic Toulouse recipe and it is a delight to the taste buds; improved year on year it never ceases to be loved by our customers. Our coffee éclair also won two stars at the Great Taste Awards 2013 and I am happy to hear these were well deserved.

Please receive my apologies for the tea I will have a look into this. However, alongside our new menu, we now have available a great choice of loose leaf tea: from a Traditional English Breakfast or Earl Grey Red Baron to our Rose of the Orient green tea, and Mint Infusion. These can all now be brewed to taste and I hope you try these during your next visit, I would be delighted to have your feedback.

Thank you again for your feedback, I am looking forward to see you again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Amazing brownies”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visited on Saturday had 4 cakes, 1 baby I icecream and 2 coffees. It was expensive and the fraps were quite disappointing. Came back on Sunday for another brownie as I really grew fond of them. However had a terrible waitress. Asked for a small mocha and my brownie to be warmed, she came back with a large and a cold brownie. She was a very rude, her name was Lauren. Which was such a shame because all the other staff were lovely. Thank god there was no service charge added.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.

Although I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our brownies and that most of the staff were a delight, it is very disappointing that your overall experience with us was poor. I would like to apologise for the mistakes and the rudeness of the waitress, I will have a meeting with her on the back of this to resolve these issues.

Thank you for your feedback on the prices, I will forward this to our design team.

Please accept once again my apologies, I hope to see you again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Good weekend brunch option”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in Henley for a wedding and looking for somewhere for brunch on Saturday. This was a good French cafe, with a great range of food, and very good coffee. Although none of us succumbed - the French pastries they had divine. So whether it's just coffee or something more substantial, this is a sound choice. And they have outside seating for those fine days.

Woking, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stopped off in Henley for a quick bite to eat mid-afternoon and decided to choose Maison Blanc (there's plenty of choice in the centre of town and we thought it would be nice to try a new place rather than go for one of our usual "coffee shop haunts"). The offerings on the menu were quite appealing but we were rather disappointed w/ the quality of the food. The lettuce on my plate was not at all fresh (brown edges on all the pieces) and I noticed some sort of slimy goo on the underside of one of the baguette pieces. We called the waitress over and she dealt with my concerns very politely and willingly. My food was served a second time, with fresh lettuce on the side, a couple of baby toms but, this time, no sign of any cucumber. The baguette sandwich was nothing to write home about - I had expected something rather yummy, having chosen the goat's cheese, courgette, tomato and shredded mint option. The 2 mint leaves were more squashed together than shredded, and stuck at very edge of the baguette. It was clear that the food had been hurriedly slapped together. My companion found his food to be just OK and not very plentiful - in contradiction with the description of it on the menu ("overstuffed" sandwich).
Service was good.
Would not go there again.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
I am very sorry to hear about how disappointing the food was overall, I have passed this feedback on to our chef. Our new menu has just started this week however and alongside it a full training for the team will be undertaken, which will ensure consistently high standards. We also have a new supplier for our salad leaves, which are now of a much better quality.

Thank for your lovely comments about service, I will pass this on to the team, they will be delighted to hear this.

I hope to see you again soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Adequate resting place”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stopped off here for brunch last weekend with two friends after a full morning of cycling through Oxfordshire. It seemed like the most popular cafe in the town centre, so we thought we'd give it a try for a drink before the journey back home. There is nowhere outside to tie a bike up and lock it, however there is outdoor seating so we simply stacked the bikes against the wall beside the table.

Cakes in the window looked great, and one must order at the bar - however service is fast. One of the waitresses was really friendly, however another waiter was rather bland and untalkative: which I suppose balances the service out.

Both friends enjoyed their pastries, and coffee was reportedly pretty good. However my "French Onion Soup" seemed a little less "French" and a little more just "water with onions". Far from the best soup I've had, and I definitely expected a lot better considering the price. Other friend disliked his smoothie and ordered a coke as replacement; I sampled said smoothie afterwards and it was bland tasting with a sickly texture: seeming to be an extremely well-watered pile of every fruit one can name.

All in all the place, whilst by no means unpleasant, is certainly not somewhere I would return to eat after this experience. A shame my soup and the smoothie did not live up to the expectations set by the premise of the premises.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you very much Simon for your feedback,

Please receive my apologies for the onion soup first of all. Our onion soup has always received the best praises and I am very sorry to hear it wasn’t up to our usual standards that day. I will feed this back to the kitchen so that they make the improvement necessary. Regarding the smoothie on the other hand, this is a feedback that we have received before and we have changed our entire range on the back of this. Our new smoothie flavours, strawberry, peach and mango are available since Monday alongside our new menu.

Thank you also for your feedback on about the waitressing staff as well, I will pass on your comments to both of them.

I would be delighted if you could try us again.