“Such a shame”

Phyllis Court Club
Reading, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Sooooooooooo rude after attempting to book a wedding we gave up. The original amount agreed went up as much as £400 so pay for chairs to be put out even tho no one would be sitting in them. I know that we need to meet a minimum number of people but they should have told us how much when we spoke about money. Very let down. Such a shame as the place is stunning!

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Jollyrodger1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was with a group of clients, the ones with the suites loved their rooms, the rest were so-so to happy with their rooms although a few complained they were cold. Did have hot water bottles in rooms though so that helped. Fairly good water pressure, room 14 was well equipped if a little small. Nice terrace balcony overlooking the Thames with the morning sun. Visitor parking is a long way from the entrance so park in the members bit then ask for a pass to save the walk. The food was excellent for b'fast, lunch and dinner, great service from general food and reception staff (not the bar staff so much). In a decent state of decoration considering we are post-recession, old fashioned taste mixed with modern style but in a nice way, it works. Dress code a little fussy, no jeans no trainers would have been simpler but they do go on a bit! Felt like an upmarket place and good for impressing clients. Will use it again in future.

Room Tip: I don't think all the suites have Thames views and terraces but the smaller rooms do.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank busyquizzer
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

we attended an evening function here... it certainly is very nice and well kept... the toilet facilities are spotlessly clean...the restaurant was very nicely laid out...great decor....cutlery, glasses, table cloths all sparkling clean.... food was good... not excellent...but faultless in presentation...and delivery...the kitchen did have to make 70 meals at once which cant be easy.
in all..we had a nice evening in very nice surroundings...highly reccommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank paul t
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

An exceptionally beautiful setting, overlooking the river famous for the Henley Regatta, with stunning hills & forests beyond, and a magnificent club, with splendid bar and restaurants too!
Very courteous staff and pleasant visitors. Many clubs and games available, including tennis, rowing and golf.

Room Tip: Find one overlooking the lawns! NB A fitness centre and spa are being planned at the moment!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Laurel G
palermo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I went to Henley to visit my good friends and i selected this place because on the river, quite and old style
Not deceving for the old style...clients and member of club very old, very nice place, my room was small but a lovely terrace, food ok, very nice the breakfast ,
All these area is very is so green and i was lucky it was a sunny day

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
chipping campden
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We had visited Phyllis Court with friends during Henley Regatta recently and as my husband was playing golf nearby we decided to stay overnight now that the Club is open to non-members.

Welcoming young staff, excellent bedroom and bathroom, innovative menu, beautiful presentation and sunshine as a bonus for the clad-in-white croquet players on the lawn all made this a memorable stay.

The location is superb looking out to the river and lively shopping with interesting small shops only a few minutes walk away.

So pleased the golf competition is in the same place next time and we will certainly return to Phyllis Court!

Room Tip: Number 9 overlooking the river had a lovely large balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cotswold017
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I laughed when I read the previous review - they stayed here because another hotel lost their booking - the SAME thing happened to us!! Another local hotel had no record of our booking...hmm that's another story for another review. We stayed here for a friend's party and to be fair I pretty much could tell that it was not to our taste before we stayed here, but we had no choice.
Good points : The views are picturesque, lovely view of the river
extremely polite and courteous staff
Reception responded very quickly to our requests of an ironing board and a hairdryer
Very quick room service, with lovely sandwiches, generous portions

The not so Good: This is extremely overpriced!! If we pay £145 for a room, we at least expect Sky, more modern decor (It is a bit old people's homey...), decent shower - our shower is just a removable shower head over the bath, nice products - the toiletries were like clear fairy liquid - even supermarket own brand would be an improvement.

No dressing gowns (I thought this was pretty standard in anything above £100 per night).

Granted, I did not complain about the next problem, and if I had of done I am sure the staff would have sent someone up, but I just did it myself...the bathroom was not clean enough and there were a few pubes (gross!!) in the bath. I almost took a picture but thought that would have seemed faked!

There was not enough room to swing a cat in our double and we felt very claustrophobic.

The breakfast was pretty awful - i think this place could afford much better quality meat products - I actually left mine as it was too cheap tasting and I don't trust that in a sausage! The breakfast room (orangery did not seem particularly clean either - a bit dusty and cobwebby. I would be fine with that in a B and B, but a hotel with lots of staff milling about and not doing much, doesn't really have an excuse for last nights peas on the floor!)

Overall, we did not feel as though we had stayed in a decent hotel, more like a picturesquely situated travel inn.

Sorry Hotel - we tried to like it, but to us, the bill was not justified by the experience - join the other similarly priced hotels with a few well chosen details as standard.

again, I would like to say that I did not complain about any of this to the hotel, so they didn't have a chance to rectify any of my issues, and am sure the cleanliness would have been dealt with if I had told them.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londonairre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
Hotel du Vin
#4 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Cherry Tree Inn
The Cherry Tree Inn
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row

Been to Phyllis Court Club? Share your experiences!