“nice staff, poor hotel”

“nice staff, poor hotel”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Positives:
* good and quiet location along the Thames, 5 min walk to the center
* staff was helpful and nice
* breakfast room is airy and pleasant

Negatives:
* shower not working, faulty television
* small room
* no bath, no hair dryer
* we were not told there was no room service when we booked

Overall
As described above, we had a few problems with the room. The staff was understanding and offered a discount (about 15%), but considering the final price, it was still very poor value for money...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goodtripadvice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I'll start with the positives (the only ones!): The location was lovely and the staff unfailingly helpful and polite (if in need of training), but £160 for a tiny (just enough space to walk around the bed and a bathroom which could barely accomodate ONE person!), grubby (cleaning was clearly haphazard - carpets thick with dust under the desk and bedside tables) double room with no bath (only a shower which didn't drain properly and wobbly sink taps), a faulty television, faulty phone, old mattress which sagged in the middle. Breakfast served with the cheapest sliced bread the market can offer and tasteless sausages and bacon. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Never again.

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank CareyGLondon
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This is a private club located right on the Thames in Henley on Thames on extensive grounds. Lovely large lawns leading down to the river. Beautiful building and lovely orangery looking out at the river where you can have breakfast or lunch. Large bar and outdoor stone patio facing the river. Our room was very large and modern, lovely decor, very large ensuite with beautiful fixtures. Large parking lot next to the hotel. All in all and excellent hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Lovely hotel with excellent service. Friendly receptionist who made us feel very welcome!
We will return soon....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2009

The room was very attractive and charming.
As we were travelling to a family wedding with 3 children under 5, we were advised that a suite was necessary. The hotel provided 2 camp beds for the children but refused to supply a cot for the baby.
When we checked in, we were informed of a surcharge for the camp beds.
The camp beds were lumpy but OK for small children.
Following the wedding the check-out time was 10am. With great difficulty we managed this.

The cost for 2 adults, 2 children and a baby to stay for 2 nights B&B at Phyllis Court was
£250 per night for the room = £500
£40 per camp bed per night = £160
£50 cleaning penalty = £50
TOTAL = £710

Two weeks later, my parents received a letter informing them that a £50 surcharge was to be added for cleaning the room. It transpired this letter was meant for me.
1. Letter send to incorrect recipient
2. Letter stated that the amount had been deducted from the credit card for cleaning as a child had drawn on the skirting board and wet the camp bed.
3. We cannot confirm if this was true but assuming it was, Cif and a J cloth would room crayon marks
4. I had BOUGHT 2 camp beds from Lidl myself for 40 EURO each two weeks previously and having spend 160 POUNDs to hire them for two nights, felt a surcharge to be steep. Also the hotel knew that small children would be using them and should have placed mattress protectors on the beds.

I wrote to the hotel outlining my dissatisfaction, to which they were unhelpful. I also observed at the time of checking out, the way the staff handled other guests complaints about excessive noise. This was very inconsistently handled. Some people got no discount, some £10, some $20 and other 50% reduction from the room rate,.

Also very many facilities at the club were for use by "members only". I feel that considering the rates being charged, the very least a guest should be offered is unincumbered use of the facilities.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank RKDIreland
Exeter
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I stayed at Phyllis Court for a night recently when I was in the area for business. It's a beautiful place situated right next to the River Thames with stunning grounds. However it is also within easy walking distance of town.
I stayed in a standard double room which was extremely clean and well presented and had a balcony with views over the river.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and I enjoyed both dinner and breakfast in the Dining Room, which offers a fantastic menu.
It's an extremely relaxing location so I wouldn't recommend it for people looking for wild nights out but it's a wonderful place to relax and get away from it all.
They also have ample free parking for residents which is a blessing for a venue practically in the town centre!
There is a dress code at the hotel which might bother some people but it didn't cause any problems for me and I wasn't surprised considering it's primarily a member's club. They do send you details of the dress code when you book so you can come prepared.
I'm also recommending it to my friend as a wedding venue as she has recently got engaged and they have some stunning functions rooms, one of which is right on the river.
All in all I found Phyllis Court to be a lovely place to stay, I would definately stay there again and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed in Phyllis Court recently as we were in Henley for a wedding (at a different venue). It was perfect for this and I would recommend the Club if you can get a good rate and don't mind the members club atmosphere.

Pros
- Great location overlooking the river and a few minutes walk into the centre of town
- We had a standard double which was small but pleasantly decorated with a terrace overlooking the river.
- Good breakfast
- Smart traditional decor - I was expecting it to be quite faded and was pleasantly suprised.

Cons
- Dress code is a little over the top and you are constantly reminded about it.
- If there is a event going on you may be disturbed by the music. They do warn you in advance though and didn't effect us as we came back late.
- Non members can't go into some areas of the club (again did not really bother us but might annoy if you were spending more time there).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
Hotel du Vin
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake

Been to Phyllis Court Club? Share your experiences!