“Quiet garden - beautiful food”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great outdoor spot for a pub lunch with restaurant quality food and excellent service: we had the fish and salad which was fantastic for a light lunch with a glass of wine. No problem with the service despite a relatively full garden.

A real find despite the slightly unpromising exterior!

1  Thank Benet2014
TheAnchorPub, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely lunch here on my own, Thai fishcakes were very good....However, due to a very tiring and stressful day after just moving down here, I nodded off briefly with my head against the wall.....At which point I was asked to move into a secluded corner or leave the pub as this apparently was making the pub look scruffy and wouldnt encourage guests in even though they would have to walk through a door and turn at an angle to see me..... I asked if they were joking and they said no and insisted I leave the pub if I wanted to carrying sitting at that particular table.... Considering had spent a reasonable amount on lunch and had nodded off for about a minute, I decided to leave the pub so as not to cause a scene and wont be returning which is a shame as it seems a lovely place.... But there is no excuse for shortness/rudeness towards guests....would have given it a 4 if not for the poor attitude....!!!!

4  Thank Leprelupoelaluna

Hi. We are very pleased that your enjoyed your Thai Fish Cakes, But we are not in the habit of serving customers who are trying to have a sleep against the wall. We work very hard to achieve good reviews on Tripadvisor and your 1 out of 5 review is very damaging, just because you wanted to sleep !!!!!

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Visited here for lunch today with family, a party of 7. Sat in the garden area where we were served our drinks and our food order was taken. When we ordered our food it was fairly quiet but soon started to fill up. On noticing lots of other tables who ordered after us getting their food we wondered how long it would take for ours to arrive. After approx 5o minutes, despite being brought cutlery by the waitress and all other tables receiving their food we asked how long our meals would take. The response initially was that it was late as we all didn't order together, which was totally untrue as we did. Then on further questioning of the staff we were asked who took our order and when we pointed out the waitress she ignored us and walked away. It turned out that our order had not been placed and no food was even being prepared. At this point we decided to leave. We did get an apology but no explanation as to how our order could just be forgotten and effectively we were being ignored. The only saving grace was that we weren't charged for our drinks, however I do think this was only to get rid of us as quickly as possible so other customers did not hear me complaining. Needless to say none of our party will be returning to the Anchor

6  Thank TCM13
TheAnchorPub, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

We are very sorry for the wait for your lunch last Sunday. As you know the Pub garden filled up very quickly and many orders were placed through the till to be printed out into the kitchen. We have served a huge amount of food and drinks over this summer period without any incidents. We do not know why your food order did not come out into the kitchen.
The drinks were not charged to you as an apology for an electronic problem. We have a very good reputation for our food and service and it is a great shame you have decided not to return.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

great food and great value , we really liked the warm welcome and the lovely garden dinner for six clients was deliverer promptly and well , very tasty Piella Pete is worth seeking out as welll

Thank you 'Big Jules' for your review on our menu and service over Henley Regatta 2014. We are very glad you all had a good time.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Trip to Henley the week before mayhem commences in the town, with our business finished and a nice sunny day we decided to have a spot of lunch. Initially a pub on the river until we noticed you had to have plastic glasses outside I cannot abide the things so we strolled on came across The Anchor although it was just before 1430hrs the kitchen was open. We had a leisurely lunch in the large serene garden, one of the favourites of my wife, scampi was beautifully presented and an above average portion served by staff who appeared to love their work which added to the experience. I will certainly be using this establishment again as the décor, garden, food and staff were faultless.

Thank you for finding us and writing this nice review. Yes we have a great staff atmosphere here.