“Not what I expected - but the Management did react well”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 8 July 2011

As a Du Vin fan , I was looking forward to a repeat visit at the end of June. Good news : upgraded to larger room.Bad News : no natural daylight to speak of during two sunny days .Worse news : room housed air con for public rooms , AND internal pipes. Amazing news : Room credited in full on departure, and although I was expecting a gesture , that was "off the radar".
The team seem relatively new in their posts, and so i shall put this down to a blip in the experience and expect normal service to be resumed asap. Morally , I shall have to return to give them a chance to show off !

Room Tip: Dont face the Internal light well - go for the Courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We booked this room for a weekend getaway and looked forward to our stay in the hotel. HDV clearly positions itself as an aspirational 'brand' and the ensuing literature we received left us with high expectations. The reality is somewhat different though. It's a very nice hotel but the cost of the room - £225 for a standard room per night - was not reflected in the quality of our experience. I would imagine that the hotel's bedrooms were very nice and contemporary when it first opened but it appears that little has been spent on maintaining them since. Our room was showing signs of wear and tear - a broken shelf, chipped paintwork, toiletry containers clearly being refilled over and over again etc - and this somewhat took the gloss (no pun intended) off our experience. On a positive note, the hotel staff listened to our grumbling in a professional manner and reduced our bill to accomodate our disappointment. Would I go back to a HDV? Probably not, unless their pricing reflected the true value of their accomodation. The bistro is fantastic though but I would advise that HDV seem to have a policy of selling as much to you as possible - be this at the bar, or in their restaurant. I'm not sure if this is just their idea of good service or an incentivised policy of making more money from their clients.

Room Tip: Er...pay more money.
1  Thank Tiptopbanana
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We came here for a night's get-away after a hectic few weeks and in lots of respects it fit the bill.

We had one of the studio suites which was a lovely big room with free-standing bath and massive wet room. The room was clean and comfortable and it was nice to have a separate seating area where you could relax and read.

However, we found it noisier than expected as we had a room opposite where the door slammed every time someone went through it and the stairs creaked. There were also lots of people drinking outside in the courtyard until quite late, spoiling our idea of an early night.

Service at breakfast was appalling. We had to fight to get any attention from the waiter and he was then surly and slow. I was glad I'd read other reviews on this website before booking and hadn't arranged for dinner at the hotel for that very reason!

Generally, I would also say that the room was overpriced for what you got (especially given that you have to pay extra for parking), so won't be staying here again. I was also disappointed to be sent a subsequent bill from the hotel for items from the mini-bar that we hadn't consumed. They did refund me the amount but it was additional hassle that I didn't need.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had a fantastic time. The room was excellent, the staff helpful and friendly and the bistro wonderful. During our evening meal the fire alarm sounded and the hotel had to be evacuated until the all clear was given by the fire brigade. This could have been a disaster but the situation was dealt with by the manager Tim in such a professional manner that it would be impossible to be upset. He explained what was happening and kept everyone informed as the drill took place and afterwards apologized and gave us all a complimentary drink.. So, from us, it's a big thank you to Tim and his staff for a great break away. Henley is beautiful and we will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Graham Beck is on two levels. Be aware if elderley
Reviewed 15 June 2011

A lovely, slightly quirky, building converted from an old brewery. Very good public rooms and a brilliant bedroom in the old courtyard. Well designed and very comfortable. Although in the yard, which has the smoking area and some outside tables, the bedroom was quiet and we had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed.

Good service at breakfast and a wide selection of cereals, toast, fruit and fruit juice and of course cooked English breakfast. Lots of other items on offer, including Danish pastries.

A lovely venue as well for a wedding reception.

Parking is off site, but there is an excellent and very efficient valet parking service. Will certainly stay at other hotels in this group.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I organised a meeting here with colleagues form the UK and the US and everyone was impressed. All the rooms were great, a couple were in slightly odd places but nice once you got there. We had a meeting room booked and wanted a different set up to the normal boardroom setup, the event organisers couldn't have been more helpful, the meeting room was setup as we requested, everything went perfectly to plan. All in all a very good ttrip, would definitely recommend it, especially as it's quite reasonably priced at that time of year! My only complaint is that there was no lift, which was a little irritating but then as it's an old brewery and everything is on different levels, it's kind of understandable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed at the Hotel du Vin with my wife for a long weekend. We had the Yulumba room and would definately recommend the room which was spacious and very well appointed. The bathroom was an absolute delight with a Roll Top Bath and walk in shower. The only gripe my wife had was that there was not suitable lighting near the mirrors to apply make up.
The hotel itself is a very interesting building.
The bar is excellent and is obviously well regarded locally.
In our opinion, the service was in the main, really good. It is clear that many of the staff work extremely hard to provide a good guest experience.
Unfortunately we did have some gripes.
The service in the Bistro was poor. My wife ordered Trout and was not asked whether she wanted vegetables, something we rectified ourselves later. I ordered the burger and was not asked how I would like it cooked, unfortunately it came back medium and extremely dry. This was recognised by the Manager who kindly gave us a free drink in the bar.
Clearly, the Hotel du Vin is known for it's selection of wines and while the selection was extensive it was also subject to extravagent corkage. £30 for a just about OK Pinot Grigio and £48 for an OK Sauvignon really is very cheeky.
We would definately revisit the hotel but would eat elsewhere and stock up on some nice bottles of fairly priced white at the local Waitrose.