“Honeymoon hotel left us a tad disappointed”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked our honeymoon at the Hotel Du Vin after having had it recommended by a friend and the wedding venue. The suites are to die for - beautifully furnished and the bathroom and showers are utterly stunning and decadent. I had booked a suite for us and 5 other rooms for my family. All of which was being paid for by my husband and I. The family room I had booked for my flower girls and their father and grandmother was given away to another family whom checked in late and the four of them were left with no other option but to sleep in one double bed as they had no other availability and all I got was a shrug of the shoulders by the night staff on reception. My husband and I enjoyed our suite and the bath on the balcony which was a delight even in chilly February and the stunning views. We ordered room service and the food was cooked to order and hot but really not of the standard I would expect of such a renowned boutique hotel. Breakfast was delicious although the serving staff didn't offer us or our party any tea or coffee. We had arranged to have a table to sit all together the morning after but this was not set up when we arrived at the designated time of 09:30. I did complain about the family room and the lady on reception was very sympathetic and I did have a charge taken off because of this. I paid the bill by card and off we went. When I checked the itemised bill several days later, I had been charged for a bottle of champagne we had not had - the receptionist had misunderstood when I said we were in the champagne suite and had added champagne to our bill and in spite of reporting this I have never had a refund. Overall - an exceptional hotel but a very disappointing experience on what should have been a very special part of our wedding day.

Room Tip: All rooms are exceptionally well designed and placed!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I generally stay at Hotel Du Vin when I am travelling for business. The hotel has smaller more personal style. The rooms, as long as you trade up a bit, are excellent and having dined at several Hotel Du Vin Bistros you can be assured of a good menu, great wine, nice service and a pleasant atmosphere. A recent reviewer says that the way in which the hotels describe themselves suggests that they are 'top of the range', but most people know that Hotel Du Vin isn't trying to be five star! One of the great things about the hotels is the walk in showers and the beds are big and comfortable. The one at Henley was an old brewery and is just yards from the riverside. The Birmingham hotel was an eye hospital. But all the Hotel Du Vin have been cleverly converted. I would recommend the brand as a really nice alternative to the chain hotels!

Room Tip: One of the rooms at Henley has a bath on the balcony overlooking the river!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Uhoh, I can see you thinking…… seems to get a whole bunch of good reviews and this one is not. Well its not that bad! Its just that when a hotel group goes out of its way to brand itself as something impressive, stunning and outstanding , all words from its blurb, you’d expect something top of the range. And since its prices are the second highest in the area, you’d certainly want it. Be prepared therefore to lower your standards a tab and accept, odd and frankly not that clever design, noise from next door rooms ( yup, first time I’ve shared the goings on a room next door in years) poor housekeeping, poor maintenance and partying like its 1999 all hours of the night.

However, if you don’t mind any of the above and value fluffy towels, Nespresso coffee machines in the bedroom, bathtubs popping up in all sorts of unexpected places and a very central Henley location, then this is for you. Not again for me I am sorry to say.

Room Tip: Read my review ....good room not an issue.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank queensrow
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Warm welcome from Stephanie (from Lyons), nothing was too much trouble.
Room service a little curt on the order taking but again Stephanie and her colleague - who sorted out my daughter's duvet- could not be faulted for their enthusiasm.
Breakfast was good - although as we took the opportunity to arrive towards the end of the sitting ( 10.30 for 11) we were slightly forgotten about - but when prompted for the forgotten grilled tomatoes, forgotten butter and 'unavailable' orange juice all requests were handled promptly and with courtesy.
All in all - would I return - yes. Would I try another Hotel du Vin - yes.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I booked a Tuesday night bed, evening meal & breakfast to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. Very friendly and efficient reception team. Shown to our room the Laurier Perrier on the third floor. Nice big king size bed, then upstairs to lounge bathroom with walk in shower and roll top bath inside. Another one outside on balcony overlooking Thames. We absolutely loved it. Then our price included full a la Carte menu. Only minor complaint about my wifes leeks which were a bit tough. Sirloin steak was amazing. Champagne was lovely and we enjoyed the bistro restaurant although the decor might not be every ones cup of tea, with naked ladies painted on walls! But this hotel is in an old brewery which made it quirky and fun. Breakfast was a bit typical, with all fried items being hot but a bit tired having clearly been prepared a while earlier. That said, for the price, the whole stay was great value and a worthy location for the occasion!

Room Tip: Laurier Perrier Room. They mainly look out over central court yard but we were not disturbed by othe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin on a Goodnight Du Vin package that included two course dinner and an overnight stay.
We stayed in a suite that was fab.. bedroom as normal downstairs and then upstairs amazing lounge area with bath and walk through shower. Added bonus was the balcony with outdoor bath that had views over the Thames. Dinner in the Bistro was very good and contrary to previous reviews we did not have any issue with service. The waiter and waitress that served us were very polite and effcient and the food and wine were of an excellent standard. I would not hesitate to return

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We recently spent three nights at the hotel and the best part of the entire experience was the location. The bar area reminded me of a fraternity house with large old couches and posters and a messy dirty feel. Going along with that "theme"...our room was furnished with a dirty looking gray carpet and dormitory furniture(I'd be happy to send photos) which was way too bulky and heavy for such a small space. The restaurant decor was fine...bistrot is apt since the ambiance was not "fine dining" nor was the food. The first evening I ordered a beet salad and rack of lamb (cote d'agneau), "pink." The beets were delicious, but the salad dressing came in an instituational glass shaker with a metal nozzle top...When the lamb arrived I thought it looked undercooked...when I cut into the middle of it, it was RAW and I'm not saying rare...I'm saying raw. They appologized and brought it back into the kitchen and offered us a free dessert.
We ordered room service for a continental breakfast...one limp croissant and cold limp toast. 2nd morning only limp cold toast. Third morning we specified 2 croissants.
By the third night, we were too tired to go out after watching the crew races all day, so we ate in the hotel courtyard. All I wanted was a hamburger, but alas it was Regatta Week and we were obliged to go with the special menu. I ordered the steak with peppercorn sauce. When the waiter served my plate, he knocked the glass of red wine in my direction and all over the table. No one came over to appologize. We asked to move into the diningroom. The hostess told us that the waiter spilled the wine because it was dark outside! No offer to replace the wine or remove the charge for the bottle...just another offer of a free dessert which we declined. Steak wasn't great, but it was cooked properly. The pepper corn sauce was bland and contained no pepper corns. When the bill arrived they had charged us for the bread basket suggested by the waiter and we refused to pay for it.

My real question is how can anyone consider this place to be a luxury hotel with a gourmet restaurant...????

Room Tip: Only stay in this hotel if you have no other choice
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sgw0702
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!