“Dinner, bed and breakfast”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This was a valentine escape from the kids for us. Staying overnight on the 13th worked out well as the restaurant wasn't too busy. We went for the dinner, bed and breakfast deal (superior room). This turned out to be very good value, as the menu included lobster thermador and other pricey options. We really enjoyed our stay. Highlights included relaxed but attentive service in bar and restaurant, friendly receptionists, the rolltop bath that filled in minutes, the huge bed and the cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Graham Beck room. I would reommend it unless you don't want to climb stairs to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William P
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stay in the area a lot, and have tried most of the plces around, and enjoyed our stay at the hotel du vin. Henley is a great place and this hotel is in a nice location. Our room was large, we upgraded which I think is a must to get the most out of your stay, the bathroom was nice, in particular the swanky shower! We didnt eat, but there are lots of other places in walking distance. Overall a nice stay, one complaint and that is the very high parking charge, £15! with the price of the room considered I think it should be less expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We booked in for one night and dinner as part of a Times reader offer. The great thing was that despite being on 'a deal' they upgraded us to one of the nicer rooms in the hotel - the old brewery managers office which is now a spacious room with a gigantic bathroom and an authentic 'thunderbox' toilet. The bar is great - nice space, long zinc bar and enthusiastic staff. We wet through for a fairly early 7.30 dinner... we were some of the first diners. Sadly none of the first three waiting staff knew anything about the offer... and couldn't answer our questions about whether we could pay extra and eat off of the set menu. A manager finally arrived and confirmed we could. We then had a fairly chaotic meal - long waits, our starter finally emerged from the kitchen only to land on the floor etc. It was just one of those nights that all restaurants have. The good thing was when we drew it to the attention, but only then,of the management they swung into action to fix it. Every restaurant has bad evenings and it's when this happens that mangement have the opportunity to dig their own grave or turn you into an ambassador. The team did the latter... with care, aplomb and style. I will go back... it's a great hotel space, nice looking restaurant and capable of delivering good food.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Perfect one night stay.
Stayed in the Ravenswood room first floor midweek.
Excellent facilities spacious warm and characterful.
Always wanted to spend the night in a brewery. This was Brakspear's brew house for many years.
Enjoyed the vast bathroom and walk in shower, the fresh milk in the mini bar, nespresso coffee.
Breakfast, brought quickly, was hot, bacon a little thin, poached eggs could've been tastier, (hens not happy?) plenty of coffee great setting, but overall, lacking slightly.
Will I ever get over the 5 star breakfast I had at the Metropolitan Park Lane London? Probably not.
Reception staff are first class as are the bar team.
Checked out at 10 but had my morning meeting delayed until 2.
I went back and asked if I could use my room again, went for a run.
All no problem and nothing too much trouble for them had to be out by 12 but great.
As a hotel 10/10 Breakfast 7/10
I would definitely go back even at £15 to park!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank prince0ffair
Reviewed 1 February 2013

This was a return trip. Having enjoyed a night here on business I went back with my husband for a quick break. Henley is such a lovely town and the hotel is a great building. Unfortunately our stay was marred by a number of niggles.
I'd forgotten the £15 parking charge, which seems high for this location. As we went to our bedroom we had to climb over a pile of cleaning materials in the corridor, which I imagine were put there as the cleaner's room seemed to be full of people. Assumed this was an aberration, but the same thing happened in the morning.
I always look forward to the toiletries at HdV, but they had forgotten to give us any shower gel. The sewing kit was also empty. The nespresso machine is a nice touch, but the 4 pods were soon used up.
Pre dinner drinks on a squidgy leather sofa and a very good dinner indeed with impeccable service soon put us back in a good mood and we enjoyed a peaceful night in a very comfortable bed.
Unfortunately breakfast was one of the worst we've ever had in a hotel. There were hardly any guests but the staff were wandering round not actually looking at anyone. I heard one guest say that he had waited 30 minutes to order his breakfast. One waitress kept running up the steps to the kitchen and slipped over twice. I was expecting Manuel to appear at any moment..... We sent back the cafetiere of coffee three times because most of the grounds were above the filter. The last attempt was barely warm, at which point we briefly considered a "Waldorf salad" moment, but gave up.
All in all disappointing, because it could be so very perfect here.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed for one night in a large double on B&B rate (£155). The room was very clean and spacious but cosy. Very large bathroom with lovely bath and huge shower. Coffee machine, kettle and mini bar all well stocked (but pricey). Nice complimentary,mini bottle of fresh milk in the fridge
Breakfast was fantastic - lost of fruit, yoghurt etc and then I had full English with poached eggs and my wife had Eggs Benedict with bacon. It was all very good quality produce, excellently cooked. You get what you pay for and Hotel Du Vin still has class.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc B
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My wife arranged a Friday evening in the hotel to celebrate my birthday. It was a £195 deal that include dinner and breakfast. Reception staf were very friendly and we were upgraded to a fantastic suite without asking. Valet parking is in a secure car park under the hotel.

Henley is lovely for a bit of winter shopping but it was raining so heavily that we retired to our suite with a bottle of bubbly. Wonderful way to spend a late afternoon/early evening.

Dining room in the evening was busy with Christmas parties, but we were in a quieter corner and enjoyed the festive ambience without it being obtrusive. We were free to choose three courses from an otherwise pricey a la carte menu. We went for non festive options and all three courses were superb. We had after dinner drinks in the hotel bar that had a mix of trendy locals and Christmas revellers. Great fun for people watchers.

Huge comfortable bed, Two flat screen tellies, enormous bath and vast walk in shower area. I don't think I ihave been in such hotel accomodation in the UK before.

Breakfast was excellent with hot food orders taken from the table and cooked individually. No conveyor belt buffet here!

Our extras on checkout were for parking and drinks only. Overall, good value for a bit of romantic indulgence!

We will certainly return to this Hotel du Vin and will look out for special deals at other hotels in the group.

(We booked via their own well designed website. Worth a look.)

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you check in. You will get one if it is available
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oldchum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!