“Another Birthday Treat”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was lucky enough to be surprised by a night at the Hotel du Vin and when I arrived the hotel had let my family get in the suite early and decorate with banners and balloons. We had the Champagne Suite with upstairs balcony and hot bath overlooking the Thames. The Children had great fun despite the freezing temperatures. The room service was prompt and polite. The only gripe I would have is the service in the restaurant at dinner was not at the same standard as the service in the rest of the hotel, and you will be lucky if you can crack a grin on the valet parking chap (as there is no car park). Also no lifts so suitcases were a bind, and we were not offered any help to get them upstairs on arrival, however overall a great stay and the food was very good.

Room Tip: don't go for a room in the courtyard at the weekend as you are opposite the outdoor smoking terr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I would like to offer my apologies for the service elements which disappointed you during your stay. We are extremely focused on offering first class service in the bistro. It is only through such candid feedback that we can strive to improve

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Simple smart clean hotel love it! Perfect for just a chilled out night stay! The room had a Victorian toilet! Amazing! And breakfast was lovely! The outside seated area was nice just a shame the weather was rubbish

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback on your stay. It sounds like you had a very positive experience, which is delightfully as it should be! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the summer to enjoy the courtyard.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 6 April 2013

This was a decadent treat,whilst the room was wonderfully unique due to weather didn't get to use and enjoy it to its full potential,bath on balcony on a very windy cold Easter weekend .
The room was aired bright and had everything you could ask for.
Only downside which I think is a little disconcerting came back from breakfast to find housekeeping had left all the bedroom doors open ajar,as we had not checked out and our valuables inside I think rather naughty.
Breakfast in Bistro fab(try the omelette....yummy)
Unfortunately Bistro of a night not good....service extremely poor was without a drink for more than 20 mins and that's after having to ask to order a drink,mussels not washed properly so very gritty,over cooked snails not much garlic butter.....other faults but what's the point as pointed out to staff whom we thought was front of house shift manager.....nothing doing?????

Room Tip: We stayed in a duplex room with outdoor bath and separate bathroom,huge walk in shower and sitting a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay in Henley. It is disappointing and concerning to read your comments regarding housekeeping please be assured this will be addressed.
I was extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your evening meal in the bistro. Please accept my apologies for what was clearly a very disappointing experience.

Should you wish to discuss this with me further, which I would certainly encourage, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly. Please accept my apologies once again and I very much hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Having stayed at a number of Hotel Du Vins and having a great experience I recommended the chain to my parents who decided that they would treat myself, my partner and my sister and son in law for Easter.

We chose the Hotel in Henley-on-Thames and decided on the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Option which was £205 each room.

The Hotel as with all Hotel Du Vins is great. The rooms have large beds, Nespresso Coffee machines, flat screen TVs and lovely decor. Then there is the bathrooms, each had a massive free standing bath and rain drop shower which is just bliss. There are a number of magazines in the room and a well stocked mini bar (although as with all mini bars, a bit pricey).

We booked a table for 6 at 8pm. We arrived at the Hotel Bistro and there were a few other Diners but the place was not busy. As soon as we sat down we were given the menus but then there was around a 15 minute wait before we managed to collar a member of staff to order our drinks. Our drinks arrived and as other diners tucked into their bread baskets, we waited for ours.... it didnt come and we had to ask for this. Not a problem, these things happen. However, 2 of the starters arrived and then there was at least a 5 minute wait for 2 others to turn up and then by the time the other 2 arrived everyone else had finished.
We then waited for our mains. These arrived within a few minutes of each other and most of our party had steak. My patner asked for his well done however when it turned up the waiter said that it was medium, we explained that we had ordered it well done and then he decided that it was well done and gave it to him anyway (it wasnt, it was quite rare). With all of our meals on the table we waited and waited and waited for our side dishes to turn up. They didnt, we asked the waiter for them and he stated that he would sort it. We waited and by the time we had finished they had stil not arrived. We mentioned it to another waiter to be told they would sort it, by this time we had all finished so told them not to bother.
At no time were we asked if our meals were ok, to be fair the steak was very nice however it was slightly ruined by the lack of service. We complained about the missing sides and the waitress reeled off some compensations, would you like a free dessert? No, its already included, would you like a free breakfast in the morning? No, its already included. it was like the complaints were a regular occurance and this was the way of dealing with it. We finally decided upon a free drink. This came around 20 minutes later.
We waited and waited for the dessert menu, it didnt come. We asked for it and finally got our desserts at around 10.30pm! Once again, no check back to the table to see if the meal was ok.
We noticed that one couple left the restaurant as they had been waiting so long for their food.
The food was very nice however it was ruined by the fact that the service was so terrible. The Bistro was not busy so there is no excuse really.

The hotel is lovely, the staff in the Hotel very polite. When we checked out we mentioned the service and had the service charge removed, however due to the service we recieved in the Bistro I do not think we will be returning.

Room Tip: We superior rooms with free standing baths, definately worth the extra
1  Thank Jellybelly44
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Guest,

I was extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your meal in the bistro. Please accept my apologies for what was clearly a very disappointing experience. I can assure you that we work very hard to address these issues.

It is only by such frank feedback that we can get to the specifics of any problems and so I would like to thank you for your comments. I feel sorry however that we were not made aware of these issues during your visits. There is always a member of senior management present in the hotel and I am confident that, if we have been made aware of the situation on the night, our team would have been able to turn such a negative experience into a more positive one.

Should you wish to discuss this with me further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.
Please accept my apologies once again and I very much hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful area. Walking distance to town and River. Staff are really warm and friendly throughout the hotel and all seems natural rather than false customer service. Recommend you book and pay for parking with hotel as limited 24 hr parking close by. Stayed in a superior room which was lovely over looking the court yard. Great Court yard to sit outside if weather right and smoking hut with comfy chairs and fire in there too. Didn't eat at the hotel this time other than for breakfast on this visit, but breakfast could not be faulted. Plenty of choice with cooked and continental items to suit every pallet. Nice relaxing bar and plenty of drinks to choose farm.

Room Tip: We had 3 year old with us, so would recommend a superior room for the extra bed, so you all still ha...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lynniemonkey

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I was delighted to read such a positive review of the hotel - thank you very much indeed!

I hope that we can welcome you back to Henley in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We booked a last minute stay here for one night at Easter. It's a lovely building with quirky rooms and lots of character with easy access to town and the river.
Reception staff were friendly and organised but it was pretty much all down hill from there on in.
We went to our room and unpacked then found the safe wasn't working so rather than change the batteries we had to move rooms.
It was a Saturday evening and very busy so there was a very long wait to order and receive pre dinner drinks. In the bistro we waited an age for our food order to be taken and then had to ask three times for a further drinks order which arrived eventually with no apology from the waiter.
Our main course came ages after the starter and then the side orders came separately some time later and so the creamed potato was cold. By this time we were so fed up that even tho the food tasted ok we couldn't enjoy it.
Thankfully our room was lovely and quiet, Very comfortable with a lovely bathroom and huge shower ( Geoff Merril room).
Breakfast had a good choice of cereals, fruit, full English etc but even then we had toast with no butter and had to ask for hot water for the tea which the waitress forgot to bring.
In all fairness the restaurant manager was very apologetic and we were compensated but the point is I wish I'd stayed home and cooked myself as it was not an enjoyable break at all.

1  Thank Lorraine B

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you had a less than positive experience in the bistro, I will make sure that the issues that you highlighted are addressed by our bistro manager, Daisy, who I believe you spoke with on Saturday evening.

However simple mistakes are, any accumulation will always frustrate the recipient exponentially, so I can well understand your position.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du Vin Henley in the near future and that you are able to have a far more positive experience when you do.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2013

We booked the hotel last minute for a night away. On arrival the staff were lovely, only too happy to help and our room was ready earlier than expected. Having stayed at the Hotel du Vin in Birmingham we had an idea that the hotel would be quirky. It maintains a lot of the original features from when it was a brewery...we loved the high gloss tiled wall in our bedroom. The room we stayed in (Superior) was beautiful with a very comforable king sized bed. The bathroom was amazing, lovely roll top bath and a huge walk in shower.

We experienced a cream tea in the champagne lounge in the afternoon which was very tasty. Breakfast was also good the following morning. All the staff that we came into contact with throughout our stay were lovely. Would definitely recommend a stay.

We look forward to trying another HDV soon!

1  Thank HampshireTraveller09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!