“A mixed bag”

Hotel du Vin
Surrey
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at several other HDVs (and got married in one) we were really looking forward to trying the Henley hotel. Hdv is never a cheap option but in our experience has always been different enough to recognise the value. Our room last night was indeed really nice, however the experience was let down by sloppy service and lacked the sharpness of previous visits to sister hotels. We felt (a bit) sorry for the waitresses at breakfast who were clearly understaffed and were running around like the proverbial blue flies. Unfortunately they moaned to the guests about it, which whilst understandable was unprofessional.

Sausages not cooked, hot food arrived before the coffee, waited an age for someone to ask for more coffee and gave up.

At dinner the previous night we waited for ages for drinks to arrive. We were seated by the doors to the courtyard and when we asked about whether it was opened a lot as it's pretty cold at the moment, we were told that the door was not in use - and then spent the rest of dinner being blasted with cold every time someone went out to smoke along with the smell of fags! Not great.

In summary, great rooms, mixed service and an overall feeling of having paid through the nose.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am very sorry that you felt the service in the bar and bistro was not to the standard you would expect in a Hotel du Vin, a comment I take extremely seriously given the fact that we take pride in the overall quality of service we train our teams to deliver. I have addressed your comments about breakfast, the table location at dinner and the bar drinks service with the Bistro Manager and Bar Manager and they have now commenced a retraining programme with their teams in order to refocus them and ensure future consistency in the service level provided.

I am pleased to read that you liked to bedroom you stayed in and would like to reassure you that the service you experienced is not indicative of the general service level at Hotel du Vin Henley. I do hope you have the opportunity to return at some point in the future.

Phil Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked this hotel on the reputation of the other hotels and I have to say the staff, bar staff, restaurant staff were excellent and the food and wine until you came to the room were excellent - the room which was very nice when we checked in became the room from hell at 11pm, there appeared to be an air conditioning unit above that rumbled all night - when we enquired if we could move, the receptionist said they were double booked ! A night porter then arrived dangling another room key at mid night, would you like to move now ? Bit too late really as we had dozed off ! Almost worried who we might find in another room.

On check out after a few discussions, the room was taken off the bill , but I have to say, a good nights sleep would have been my preference.

Room Tip: Don't go on floor one , go higher
1 Thank Dashwoods
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am very pleased to read that you were well looked after by the team and that you had an enjoyable meal in the Bistro. Of course I am disappointed and sorry that you did not have a good nights sleep and that there was some confusion about locating an alternative room for you.

Having checked with my maintenance manager what the possible cause of the noise could have been, he has confirmed that one of our extract unit fan bearings had somehow become loose. This has now been repaired and the unit is working correctly, and quietly, again.

I am very sorry that this unexpected maintenance issue impacted on your stay and am pleased that my reception manager took the decision to remove the room charge to compensate for the situation. I fully appreciate that this cannot rectify a disturbed nights sleep, but hope it goes someway to showing how sincerely sorry we are.

I do hope that you will be able to return to Hotel du Vin Henley again in the near future.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Really great room (we had a surprise upgrade to La Grande Dame) and great food, both at dinner and breakfast. It was quite quiet, but we were a mid-week booking. Staff were fantastic and we loved Henley for a wander by the river. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for posting such a positve review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased that we were able to upgrade you to one of our deluxe suites, which I agree is an amazing room ! I am also pleased that the Bistro team looked after you well at dinner and breakfast and that the food was great. I will ensure that your comments are circulated around the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Nice apartment off the courtyard, with an outdoor smoking area, lights and fire was not on when we arrived!, ash on the floor and a dirty ashtray. Apartment on first view looks lovely, not as clean when close up, shower dripped all night, i normally sleep like a log but not on this night, very frustrating, i did mean to mention this but my husband checked out for us, shower head full of lime-scale, the roll top bath was not very inviting as the over flow drain again had lime scale around it, i personally don't think wooden toilet seats are very hygienic!, milk in the fridge had gone off. very pricey considering there was no breakfast included and a fifteen pounds parking charge! food lovely and staff very polite. i am sorry i have written my first negative review , expected more from hotel Du vin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay and whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the food in the Bistro and the staff were all very polite during your stay, I am of course extremely concerned regarding the comments about your room.

I have addressed the issues you raised and these have now been resolved by my Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager. The shower heads are descaled every 3 months, so I am sorry that there was a build up in the shower head in your room which was also causing the dripping. This head has now been replaced. Housekeeping have rechecked the room and descaled the bath overflow again. I can assure you that we set ourselves very high cleanliness levels in our bedrooms and bathrooms which my head housekeeper is rigorously reinforcing with her team.

In regards to the parking charge, we only have limted parking at the hotel and have the double park cars in our secure parking area, therefore we have to offer a valet parking service in order to ensure our parking area is safe and maximised.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were a last minute booking on a Sunday night, there were no standard rooms left however we got a fantastic looking room in the courtyard with a freestanding bath and loads of space. Our only fault with this room was that the door rattled throughout the night due to the high winds, maybe some kind of seal would stop this?
Breakfast was one of the best with lots of choice, same with dinner, all staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a lovely place to stay. Only negative comment would have to be the £15 charge to park in the car park overnight. Spaces outside the hotel are free from 6pm-8am and free all day Sunday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley and I am really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay, that the breakfast and dinner were of a high standard and that the staff were welcoming and friendly.

I was not aware that there is a problem with the door to the room you stayed in, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. My maintenance manager has already resolved the problem so there will be no reoccurence of the issue.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Hampshire
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Recently stayed as a group with friends. None of us are slow to complain, but equally we hope to compliment the good.
All the staff (reception, bar and restaurant) seemed to be trying very hard to get service right and provide a cheerful environment, and if in one case not particularly cheerful was efficient.
We had large king bed rooms were excellent and quiet apart from being able to hear the occupants of the room above walking across the floor. The bathrooms were also large and well equipped with the best shower I have ever found in an hotel. Some trendy aspects might have been strong on design but lacking a bit in function - for example the lighting in front of mirrors was inadequate.
The continental breakfast was plentiful and varied. We did not eat a main meal in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the staff were working hard to deliver high levels of service and a great atmosphere. I will of course ensure that your feedback is passed on to the team.

Thank you again.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is going to echo a lot of other reviews but hopefully it's balanced.
First up: a great building with some superb rooms, quirky touches; a real change from stamped-out modern hotels. We were greeted by a superb receptionist who suggested we could park the car on a meter for 40p/2 hours - and top it up in the morning which saved the £15 valet parking. She also showed us the room, let us check in early; nothing was too much trouble.
Our room (Jacuma) was great albeit traffic noise could be a problem for some but it wasn't too obtrusive. We had a roll-top bath, great shower and an old fashioned wooden toilet! Beds were really comfortable but the absence of any hotel guide, expensive water etc. were a negative.
So far HdV would be looking at 4-5 stars. We ate out at Villa Marina which whiilst pricey was good and returned for a night cap which was fine but again over-priced.
So how did they lose the stars?
Breakfast. Appalling. Indifferent staff; the guy who took us to our table looked like he wanted to be somewhere else; toast was served early & we asked for some with my wife's cooked breakfast "you've already got some" was the waiters' comment. Sure enough no toast came with the cooked breakfast so we eventually got the same waiter's attention & he smirked when I said that we'd ordered it. No-one checked if the meals were OK, which they weren't.
We complained at reception (as all the staff had disappeared) and they deducted the cost of the cooked breakfast - again good service from a different receptionist who said that she'd speak to the restaurant manager later.
In summary a great hotel let down by some very poor staff in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid the front - traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank peter j
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am pleased to read that on the whole your had an enjoyable stay and that the reception team afforded great customer service. I am however disappointed that the breakfast service let you down in the morning. I have already spoken with my Bistro Manager and further focus is being put on retraining the staff members responsible for breakfast to ensure that the high levels of customer service in other departments is continued in the Bistro.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to wlecoming you back to the hotel when you will experience the improvements.

Phil Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!