“Best ever stay at HdV”

Hotel du Vin
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Best ever stay at HdV”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stay at HdV regularly and have used most of the hotels. This was our second time at Henley and after a few little issues on our first stay, we returned to have without doubt our best stay. Our room was superb and the service very attentive. The manager took a personal interest to ensure both ourselves and our kids enjoyed the visit. As usual the food and wine was excellent. Certainly I would say that it is worth mentioning any concerns you have at the time to the hotel, as we originally visited during the regatta, which was obviously very busy, but the action taken to resolve any comments we had was the best I have ever seen in the service industry, certainly a credit to HdV.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank david t
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such fantastic feedback following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased that you had a great meal and that the service exceeded your expectations in the Bistro.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Phil Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Could be the best room I have stayed in , while having multiple stair cases may not be the best thing after a few drinks at night you cannot complain about the space! Two big freestanding bath tubs looks great and would be fantastic if travelling as a couple except I was there on business. I would recommend an alarm clock in the bedroom though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott22-10
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your suite. It is indeed a spectacular room !

Thank you for your comments regarding the alarm clock in the bedroom and I will discuss this with my head housekeeper.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to return with your partner to make full use of the suite next time you are in Henley.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Absolutely lovely hotel, I have stayed in many establishments in this area and this is the very best I have found. Welcoming, elegant and comfortable, staff very obliging, excellent service and the room was very very comfortable. I will most defiantely be recomending and returning!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the food, service, rooms and general environment exceeded your expectations. I will of course share your comments with the hotel team so that they are aware of the recognition given for their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Surrey
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at several other HDVs (and got married in one) we were really looking forward to trying the Henley hotel. Hdv is never a cheap option but in our experience has always been different enough to recognise the value. Our room last night was indeed really nice, however the experience was let down by sloppy service and lacked the sharpness of previous visits to sister hotels. We felt (a bit) sorry for the waitresses at breakfast who were clearly understaffed and were running around like the proverbial blue flies. Unfortunately they moaned to the guests about it, which whilst understandable was unprofessional.

Sausages not cooked, hot food arrived before the coffee, waited an age for someone to ask for more coffee and gave up.

At dinner the previous night we waited for ages for drinks to arrive. We were seated by the doors to the courtyard and when we asked about whether it was opened a lot as it's pretty cold at the moment, we were told that the door was not in use - and then spent the rest of dinner being blasted with cold every time someone went out to smoke along with the smell of fags! Not great.

In summary, great rooms, mixed service and an overall feeling of having paid through the nose.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am very sorry that you felt the service in the bar and bistro was not to the standard you would expect in a Hotel du Vin, a comment I take extremely seriously given the fact that we take pride in the overall quality of service we train our teams to deliver. I have addressed your comments about breakfast, the table location at dinner and the bar drinks service with the Bistro Manager and Bar Manager and they have now commenced a retraining programme with their teams in order to refocus them and ensure future consistency in the service level provided.

I am pleased to read that you liked to bedroom you stayed in and would like to reassure you that the service you experienced is not indicative of the general service level at Hotel du Vin Henley. I do hope you have the opportunity to return at some point in the future.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked this hotel on the reputation of the other hotels and I have to say the staff, bar staff, restaurant staff were excellent and the food and wine until you came to the room were excellent - the room which was very nice when we checked in became the room from hell at 11pm, there appeared to be an air conditioning unit above that rumbled all night - when we enquired if we could move, the receptionist said they were double booked ! A night porter then arrived dangling another room key at mid night, would you like to move now ? Bit too late really as we had dozed off ! Almost worried who we might find in another room.

On check out after a few discussions, the room was taken off the bill , but I have to say, a good nights sleep would have been my preference.

Room Tip: Don't go on floor one , go higher
1 Thank Dashwoods
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am very pleased to read that you were well looked after by the team and that you had an enjoyable meal in the Bistro. Of course I am disappointed and sorry that you did not have a good nights sleep and that there was some confusion about locating an alternative room for you.

Having checked with my maintenance manager what the possible cause of the noise could have been, he has confirmed that one of our extract unit fan bearings had somehow become loose. This has now been repaired and the unit is working correctly, and quietly, again.

I am very sorry that this unexpected maintenance issue impacted on your stay and am pleased that my reception manager took the decision to remove the room charge to compensate for the situation. I fully appreciate that this cannot rectify a disturbed nights sleep, but hope it goes someway to showing how sincerely sorry we are.

I do hope that you will be able to return to Hotel du Vin Henley again in the near future.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Really great room (we had a surprise upgrade to La Grande Dame) and great food, both at dinner and breakfast. It was quite quiet, but we were a mid-week booking. Staff were fantastic and we loved Henley for a wander by the river. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for posting such a positve review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased that we were able to upgrade you to one of our deluxe suites, which I agree is an amazing room ! I am also pleased that the Bistro team looked after you well at dinner and breakfast and that the food was great. I will ensure that your comments are circulated around the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Nice apartment off the courtyard, with an outdoor smoking area, lights and fire was not on when we arrived!, ash on the floor and a dirty ashtray. Apartment on first view looks lovely, not as clean when close up, shower dripped all night, i normally sleep like a log but not on this night, very frustrating, i did mean to mention this but my husband checked out for us, shower head full of lime-scale, the roll top bath was not very inviting as the over flow drain again had lime scale around it, i personally don't think wooden toilet seats are very hygienic!, milk in the fridge had gone off. very pricey considering there was no breakfast included and a fifteen pounds parking charge! food lovely and staff very polite. i am sorry i have written my first negative review , expected more from hotel Du vin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay and whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the food in the Bistro and the staff were all very polite during your stay, I am of course extremely concerned regarding the comments about your room.

I have addressed the issues you raised and these have now been resolved by my Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager. The shower heads are descaled every 3 months, so I am sorry that there was a build up in the shower head in your room which was also causing the dripping. This head has now been replaced. Housekeeping have rechecked the room and descaled the bath overflow again. I can assure you that we set ourselves very high cleanliness levels in our bedrooms and bathrooms which my head housekeeper is rigorously reinforcing with her team.

In regards to the parking charge, we only have limted parking at the hotel and have the double park cars in our secure parking area, therefore we have to offer a valet parking service in order to ensure our parking area is safe and maximised.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again in the near future.

Phil Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#6 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Cherry Tree Inn
The Cherry Tree Inn
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!